Ehrlich Hires Bo Harmon, architect of Max Cleland smear campaign
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:22:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Ehrlich Hires Bo Harmon, architect of Max Cleland smear campaign
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ehrlich Hires Bo Harmon, architect of Max Cleland smear campaign  (Read 1618 times)
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 12, 2005, 06:54:16 PM »

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/bal-md.olesker12dec12001539,1,7479152.column

Looks like we will have an ugly MD gubernatorial race in 2006. Bob Ehrlich has hired Bo Harmon, the man who created the infamous 2002 ads comparing Vietnam veteran and triple amputee Max Cleland to Osama Bin Ladin and Saddam Hussein.

Here's an excerpt from the editorial:

"With Bo Harmon running the campaign, Chambliss ran TV ads showing pictures of Osama bin Laden and Saddam Hussein - and Cleland. A narrator said that while America faced terrorists, Cleland opposed Bush's homeland security efforts.

Among those who attacked the ads were three U.S. senators who were Vietnam vets: Democrat John Kerry, who called the campaign "the most craven moment I've ever seen in American politics"; Republican John McCain, who called it "worse than disgraceful"; and Republican Chuck Hagel, who termed it "beyond offensive.
"

Harmon and Scott Howell (man behind the Jerry Kilgore death penalty attackl ads as well as the Tom Coburn "Black Hands" ad) are known as two of the dirtiest operatives in the Republican party. O'Mally or Duncan will need to be prepared to defend themselves against dirty smear tactics.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 07:20:26 PM »

Good. Looks like Ehrlich may have some shread of intelligence after all.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 07:31:53 PM »
« Edited: December 12, 2005, 07:41:52 PM by nickshep democRAT »

Hardly.

What works in Georgia most certainly will not work in Maryland.  Ehrlich is already catching a ton of flack for his decision in the local media and newspapers.  Ehrlich's first political hitman, Joe Steffen, was recently fired for spreading false rumors about Martin O'Malley over the internet.  Hiring a second hitman will do nothing to improved his already tarnished image.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 07:40:14 PM »

I would love to put these scumbags out of business. Hopefully the Kilgore debacle will end Howell's career, and the Maryland voters will reject the dirty politics of Harmon.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005, 07:41:24 PM »

Stop repeating yourself.
Galactic Overlord

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005, 10:48:57 PM »

He hired someone who helped score a major upset against a seemingly popular incumbent.  Sounds smart to me.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2005, 10:55:28 PM »
« Edited: December 12, 2005, 11:00:00 PM by nickshepDEM »

He hired someone who helped score a major upset against a seemingly popular incumbent.  Sounds smart to me.

By questioning the incumbents patriotism.  The incumbent just so happened to be a decorated war hero from Vietnam who lost 4 limbs while serving.  They actually ran a TV Spot that morphed Cleland into Osama Bin Laden and Saddam Hussein.  Gutter politics at its finest.

Like I said before, Ehrlich's catching a beating in the local media over this decision.  Mostly because he has a record of advocating assassin style politics.  See:  Joe Steffen.
Galactic Overlord

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2005, 11:18:23 PM »

By questioning the incumbents patriotism.  The incumbent just so happened to be a decorated war hero from Vietnam who lost 4 limbs while serving.  They actually ran a TV Spot that morphed Cleland into Osama Bin Laden and Saddam Hussein.  Gutter politics at its finest.

Please show me how the ad said "Max Cleland is not a patriot." I have not heard it in this ad, nor have I heard Saxby Chambliss or anyone say Cleland is not a patriot.

You are also incorrect in saying the ad morphed Cleland into Hussein and bin Laden.  Those two were part of four images running simultaneously on the screen.  The other two was a group of American soliders and a fighter jet.  You might as well be saying Cleland morphed into a fighter jet.  Finally, they did not morph or blur into Cleland's image, it was a quick cut to Cleland's face, with some much larger text on the bottom of the screen.  The ad was hardly any worse than any other ad running down a list of the person's votes.  No one is saying Cleland is not patriotic or that his injuries or service should be belittled, but that does not make him right.  By that standard, how could liberals disagree with anything Oliver North, a decorated war vetaran himself, says?
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2005, 11:38:04 PM »

Well, if you can find the ad Id be glad to retract my "morph" statement.  But its silly to sit here and deny the fact that the Osama/Saddam/Cleland scene was used to do anything, but question his patriotism and committement to his country.  Why not just list the votes?  They used the pictures to portray Cleland as an ally of Saddam and Osama, which in my opinion, questions the mans integrity and patriotism.  The ad obviously did not cause a sh**t storm because it was a clean ad.
Galactic Overlord

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2005, 12:01:26 AM »

"Morph" denotes a specific screen effect when one image transforms into another.  From looking at the ad, I cannot see how that is the case.  It's just a quick cut. You may find the ad if you Google it, I had a link of it in my player but I can't find where it leads to.

Obviously, I wouldn't expect any Democrat to like this ad.  I never read bin Laden and Hussein as being allies of Cleland.  Now, do I think it says Cleland put partisian politics over creating the Homeland Security dept? Yep! Even Zell Miller, who supported Cleland vigorously at the time, admitted that Tom Daschle kept making Cleland vote the way he did, despite Miller's advice, and that's what cost him the race.  (And Miller despised the ad too when it came out.)

But like I said, it would be ridiculous for any Democrat to think this was a fair ad, so your reaction is understandable.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2005, 12:05:26 AM »

"Morph" denotes a specific screen effect when one image transforms into another.  From looking at the ad, I cannot see how that is the case.  It's just a quick cut. You may find the ad if you Google it, I had a link of it in my player but I can't find where it leads to.

Ive been searching for over 10 minutes and cant seem to find it.

There was similar controversy in 2004 with MoveOn.org's Bush/Hitler ad.  Are you familiar with the ad?  If so, do you believe it crossed the line?  I ask because the ad has often been compared to the Cleland/Osama/Saddam because it pictures Bush with Hitler.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2005, 09:26:14 AM »

It would seem for certain politicians, when the going gets tough, they have to resort to smearing their opponents. I don't like that kind of politics

Dave
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2005, 01:27:08 AM »

It worked to unseat a Democrat in a Republican state in a Republican year.  Its not exactly going to be the same for a Republican Incumbent, in a Democratic state which pretty much looks like a Democratic year
MissCatholic

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2005, 11:27:25 AM »

ok bush-rove tactics.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2005, 01:45:20 PM »

Whatever Ehrlich does, unless O'Malley or Duncan have some major mishap, my guess is he's doomed to failure in Maryland.  Trying to have slot machines as your major accomplishment in office is not a good strategy.  These scare tactics won't help him either. 
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2005, 02:16:54 PM »

Whatever Ehrlich does, unless O'Malley or Duncan have some major mishap, my guess is he's doomed to failure in Maryland.  Trying to have slot machines as your major accomplishment in office is not a good strategy.  These scare tactics won't help him either. 

He lacks legislative accomplishments, but he can point to a balanced budget (Ehrlich inherited a billion dollar defecit), strong economy, very low unemployment rate, and solid job creation.

He also has a knack for attracting moderate/conservative democrats.  He did so as a member of congress and he continued that legacy when he ran for guv in 2002.  He will be tough to beat.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies