(LA Gov.) Blanco Postpones New Orleans Elections Indefinitely
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:43:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  (LA Gov.) Blanco Postpones New Orleans Elections Indefinitely
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: (LA Gov.) Blanco Postpones New Orleans Elections Indefinitely  (Read 3111 times)
Storebought
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 12, 2005, 05:32:55 PM »
« edited: December 12, 2005, 05:35:48 PM by Storebought »

From the Baton Rouge Advocate

BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) -- Gov. Kathleen Blanco has postponed the New Orleans mayoral election, setting up a legal battle with voters who filed a lawsuit seeking to ensure the election is held as scheduled in February.

In an executive order, Blanco cited the recommendation of Secretary of State Al Ater, the state's top election official, who has said the city is incapable of holding elections in February because Hurricane Katrina caused so much damage to polling sites and voting machines. Blanco did not set a new date for the elections; her order says they should be held "as soon as practicable."

The postponement affects primaries for mayor, sheriff and city council seats. Blanco's order also puts off the runoffs in those races, which had been set for March 4. Qualifying for candidates to get on the ballot had been set to begin Wednesday.

Blanco signed the order Friday; it was released Monday.

I wonder how many times in US history a governor has been able to suspend popular democracy by executive order? Not even during the Civil War, at least in the Union states, were congressional elections halted.

The cynic wonders if Blanco will decide to extend that order to include gubernatorial elections as well...

The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 07:13:42 PM »

Unpleasant, but perhaps necessary.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 08:44:11 AM »

I agree… any election held now wouldn’t be an accurate reflection of public opinion in New Orleans and would be damn hard to organise anyway, sadly I fear we will have to wait for Nagin’s ass-kicking Sad 
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 03:04:42 PM »

Does the Governor actually have the power to suspend elections?  Eek.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 12:22:05 AM »

I agree… any election held now wouldn’t be an accurate reflection of public opinion in New Orleans and would be damn hard to organise anyway, sadly I fear we will have to wait for Nagin’s ass-kicking Sad 

Sure it would.  The people most willing to come back should have a say in the direction the city devlops.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2005, 02:01:57 AM »

Does the Governor actually have the power to suspend elections?  Eek.
Maybe not.  It is being challenged in court.  I'd think that Louisiana would also have to clearance from the DOJ to change election procedures.

At least Mardi Gras is still on.
M

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2005, 03:39:59 PM »

Totally illegal and undemocratic- Huey Long is alive and well, and now he's a fat Cajun woman.

The Republican Solid South will be a fact on the ground by 2020; and I say it's been too long in coming.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies