MA-SEN Megathread: Senator Markey wins
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:55:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MA-SEN Megathread: Senator Markey wins
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 55
Author Topic: MA-SEN Megathread: Senator Markey wins  (Read 66927 times)
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: May 12, 2020, 08:03:22 AM »

I think we all need to accept if/when Kennedy wins this primary he'll be running for the Presidency in 4 years time
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #276 on: May 12, 2020, 08:05:41 AM »

I think we all need to accept if/when Kennedy wins this primary he'll be running for the Presidency in 4 years time

Hard to imagine that if Biden wins. If not, I could picture the 2024 primary being Kennedy v. AOC. That'd be lit.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #277 on: May 12, 2020, 08:16:56 AM »

Hard to imagine that if Biden wins. If not, I could picture the 2024 primary being Kennedy v. AOC. That'd be lit.

Like it wouldn't even be out of the ordinary for him to run so sun,

He'll have more experience then both Obama and Carter.

He'll have more congressional experience then his Grandfather Bobby and a similar amount to his Uncle Jack.

He'll have the Kennedy name that gave his uncle Teddy a fighting chance against the incumbent President Carter.

Finally, he'll have the youth and vitality that is needed to turnout voters, he has a similar speaking style to both Bobby and JFK, he'll have the progressive policies after 3 years in the Senate and he'll have the establishment help because of his name.

I truly believe Joe Kennedy is going to have a solid chance at the Presidency come 2024
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #278 on: May 12, 2020, 10:04:58 AM »

Joe Kennedy is obviously running for Prez in 2028, that's why he chosed to run for Senate, with Sinema's help.  Kennedys are just hierarchical,  their whole family are Lawyers and served in WWII Navy
Heir of Camelot
heirofCamelot
United States

« Reply #279 on: May 12, 2020, 01:04:16 PM »
« Edited: May 12, 2020, 06:35:06 PM by Heir of Camelot »

Markey seems like an okay guy but he's also a Dinosaur. Our government is run by Dinosaurs to an extent never before seem (the "founding fathers" were all pretty young at the time). Just look at the average age of the Senate and especially the 2 major Presidential candidates, half senile Grandpas that should probably be in a retirement community somewhere.

I'm glad young leaders like JK3 are making a move instead of "waiting their turn." They've been waiting for decades. Heck Gen X basically got skipped over completely while the Boomers clung to power for like 40 years.
Astatine

Political Matrix
E: -0.72, S: -5.90

« Reply #280 on: May 12, 2020, 02:03:10 PM »

Like it wouldn't even be out of the ordinary for him to run so sun,

He'll have more experience then both Obama and Carter.

He'll have more congressional experience then his Grandfather Bobby and a similar amount to his Uncle Jack.

He'll have the Kennedy name that gave his uncle Teddy a fighting chance against the incumbent President Carter.

Finally, he'll have the youth and vitality that is needed to turnout voters, he has a similar speaking style to both Bobby and JFK, he'll have the progressive policies after 3 years in the Senate and he'll have the establishment help because of his name.

I truly believe Joe Kennedy is going to have a solid chance at the Presidency come 2024

"Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy."
It's not just that you are a crook senator
MelihV
Rookie
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -5.04

P P P
« Reply #281 on: May 12, 2020, 02:22:55 PM »

Kennedy doesn't care about MA. If he cared about it he would stay as a house member and serve his district instead of primarying someone (who he probably barely has any meaningful policy difference with) just so he can use the senate seat as a stepping stone to winning the presidency in 4 years time.

Ed Markey has spent most of his life serving MA and obviously he is not going to run for anything else. I am all for a younger legislative branch however kicking someone out just because someone with the right surname can advance his career is just distasteful and exposes the motives of Joe Kennedy.
Chester County Anti-populist
metroid81
Rookie

« Reply #282 on: May 12, 2020, 02:36:06 PM »

Markey will lose
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #283 on: May 12, 2020, 03:36:45 PM »

Why? Is it all that they’ve accomplished? All the members of the family who have given there lives to this country? All the contributions to this country that they’ve made? Jealousy? What is it....

The Kennedy name is strong drink for Massachusetts Boomers, and has been for an absurdly long time. It really is that simple. You might as well ask--and people did!--what the point was of Ted running in 1962 (although it obviously wasn't Boomers voting for him yet then).

I’m the furthest thing from a boomer. I’m a (as my username says) millennial moderate and there is no one in this state who I would be more enthusiastic to vote for than Joe Kennedy.

Puke. Would change my vote from enthusiastic Biden to extremely reluctantly Biden.

You are so odd. Do the Kennedys pay you or something? Markey is a fantastic senator, Kennedy has done nothing but been spoon-fed his entire life. Everything he has ever done has been because of his meaningless last name. He has never had to work for anything and is now making a vanity run against one of the best senators in the country just because he's too impatient to wait for an open seat. He's a whiny child.

Not sure what is so odd. I’m from Massachusetts and I admire the Kennedy’s, what’s so odd about that? I grant you just because his last name is Kennedy doesn’t mean he will have 1/100th of the charm, charisma, talent, political skill that JFK or RFK or even Teddy had. But I do know that Joe has a similar commitment to serving the public and making his country better.

Markey is not a fantastic Senator. Just because you agree with him on policy doesn’t make him a fantastic Senator. He is constantly non-existent in this state except during election campaigns. Most politicans have two homes but Markeys official home is in Virginia and he is almost never in Massachusetts except during campaigns. He is the definition of political hack. Is he a good guy? Yes he is. But I don’t think the public service part comes through to him.

Back to Joe - this is a man who could have very easily lived off of his family’s riches but instead has dedicated himself to public service which is what I admire most about the Kennedys. The spoon fed
& entitled narrative is lazy bullsh**t. And I think his last name helps in that he will have ALOT more influence on Day 1 as Senator then Markey has ever had in his 30+ years in Washington.

Sigh...

"We need to primary people in deep blue seats!!"

"Wait, not like that!"

Yeah, I see what you’re saying. Honestly, I don’t think any incumbents are “entitled” to another term, and that primary challenges are always fair game. If incumbents are doing their job well, they shouldn’t have to worry about losing primary challenges.

That's the thing, Markey is doing his job well. He's a good, if not great Senator who's more than well in line with Massachusetts' electorate. I sincerely hope Markey smokes Kennedy's ass in this primary, but the Kennedy name is a hell of a drug for the state of the Massachusetts.

He’s actually not doing his job well. He literally never visits Massachusetts unless there is a campaign to run. Meanwhile Joe was the only member of the House to have monthly office hours IN his district.

Not to mention who will have more pull in Washington? Joe Kennedy or Ed Markey.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=336494.msg6977361;topicseen#msg6977361

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=330877.msg6977364;topicseen#msg6977364

We've literally had this exact same conversation before. I'm sorry you didn't listen before, but I'm not having it again, except to say that if you believe that Kennedy is more likely than Markey to look after your interests (let alone the national interests), when the record & all of the evidence indicates otherwise, then you're nothing more than an enabler of the dynastic politics that allows somebody like JK3 to run for high office on the back of nothing more than his name.

FTFY
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #284 on: May 19, 2020, 12:17:05 PM »

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #285 on: May 19, 2020, 12:50:29 PM »

Markey is gonna get the bulk of senior voters, and Kennedy will get the younger voters, just like Scarane v Coons and Hickenlooper v Romanoff. Scarane, Kennedy and Romanoff appeal to younger voters.

We dont know what to expect now that it has moved to a VBM election.  Both sides have equal chance to win

Markey isnt the prohibited favorite over Kennedy and the election is in September anyways

Markey is a slight underdog, he is losing by 2 to 6 pts
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #286 on: May 19, 2020, 01:58:07 PM »

LOL, what if Kennedy loses the primary to Markey, and then decides to run as a third party. Then there is a perfect vote split, and Shiva Ayyadurai squeaks through and wins, and gets a Republican pickup.
(Sore loser laws might not let that happen though)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #287 on: May 19, 2020, 02:05:24 PM »

LOL, what if Kennedy loses the primary to Markey, and then decides to run as a third party. Then there is a perfect vote split, and Shiva Ayyadurai squeaks through and wins, and gets a Republican pickup.

That won't happen, since Warren is a top Veepstakes, we have to wait til Biden announces the Veepstakes.  Kennedy would likely run in a special.  That why Biden supporters dont want Biden to pick Warren
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #288 on: May 19, 2020, 02:06:49 PM »

LOL, what if Morgan loses the primary to McConnell, and then decides to run as a third party. Then there is a perfect vote split, and Amy McGrath squeaks through and wins, and gets a Democratic pickup.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #289 on: May 19, 2020, 07:06:14 PM »

Markey is gonna get the bulk of senior voters, and Kennedy will get the younger voters, just like Scarane v Coons and Hickenlooper v Romanoff. Scarane, Kennedy and Romanoff appeal to younger voters.

We dont know what to expect now that it has moved to a VBM election.  Both sides have equal chance to win

Markey isnt the prohibited favorite over Kennedy and the election is in September anyways

You have it all backwards.

Markey is getting the vote of the Bernie Bro young left
Kennedy is getting the older vote because they remember the greatness of the Kennedy name.

Its pathetic this is as close as it is to be honest. Not really sure why it is
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #290 on: May 19, 2020, 07:39:08 PM »

Kennedy is getting the older vote because they remember the greatness of the Kennedy name.

Why are you trying to argue with OC?

And if it's the only reason JKIII's getting elected, then the greatness of the Kennedy name is a problem.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #291 on: May 19, 2020, 08:14:27 PM »

We will see in September who wins my friend, Markey hasnt lead in a single poll, Kennedy has lead in every poll thus far by 2, 6 and 7 pts
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #292 on: May 20, 2020, 05:52:22 AM »

And if it's the only reason JKIII's getting elected, then the greatness of the Kennedy name is a problem.

For me, it’s not. That’s why this is such a no brainer election for me.

JKIII gets the benefit of the doubt from me because yes he is a Kennedy and they’ve consistently represented this state and the nation so well and fought on the right side of practically every issue.

And then there’s the simple fact that Markey is a bit of a typical hack. “the swamp” if you will. He’s a good guy but he’s never in Massachusetts unless there is an election and for instance in a debate a few months ago instead of arguing the issues he just repeated AOC’s name a dozen times... weak.

I’ll be appauled at my state if Markey wins this. Unfortunately it seems as if that may happen.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #293 on: May 20, 2020, 01:12:44 PM »

JKIII gets the benefit of the doubt from me because yes he is a Kennedy and they’ve consistently represented this state and the nation so well and fought on the right side of practically every issue.

And then there’s the simple fact that Markey is a bit of a typical hack. “the swamp” if you will. He’s a good guy but he’s never in Massachusetts unless there is an election and for instance in a debate a few months ago instead of arguing the issues he just repeated AOC’s name a dozen times... weak.

I’ll be appauled at my state if Markey wins this. Unfortunately it seems as if that may happen.

I've told you time & time again on here how that's not true re: JKIII? Do you just not listen or something?

This is why we'll all be appalled at your state if JKIII wins.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #294 on: May 20, 2020, 01:28:46 PM »

I don’t know which is closer to zero, a Kennedy running as not a Democrat or Shiva winning any election, ever.
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #295 on: May 20, 2020, 01:53:59 PM »

It’s quite sad that the only thing anyone seems to have in Markey’s defence after his decades of service is “dynasty bad”. Personally I really don’t understand why anyone is getting het up about this race. The differences between them are narrow and both would make/continue to be great Senators.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #296 on: May 20, 2020, 01:59:44 PM »
« Edited: May 20, 2020, 02:04:25 PM by Everything Burns... »

Mary Jo Kopechne would like a word, or rather, she probably would if Ted Kennedy hadn't deliberately left her to die a horrible death by drowning in a car at the bottom of a pond and then relied on the family political machine to make sure he stayed in the Senate instead of getting sent to prison where he belonged.  

It’s quite sad that the only thing anyone seems to have in Markey’s defence after his decades of service is “dynasty bad”. Personally I really don’t understand why anyone is getting het up about this race. The differences between them are narrow and both would make/continue to be great Senators.

Markey has a long track record of fighting to implement progressive legislation.  Kennedy is an empty suit heir force hack who will definitely move the Senate Democratic Caucus' overton window to the right on environmental issues.  Markey was the Senate's leading advocate for the Green New Deal and was an excellent congressman.  It'd be like saying "let's replace Chris Murphy with Matt Lieberman because something something new blood."
Upstater
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -4.00

P P
« Reply #297 on: May 20, 2020, 02:07:09 PM »

Mary Jo Kopechne would like a word, or rather, she probably would if Ted Kennedy hadn't deliberately left her to die a horrible death by drowning in a car at the bottom of a pond and then relied on the family political machine to make sure he stayed in the Senate instead of getting sent to prison where he belonged.  

Markey has a long track record of fighting to implement progressive legislation.  Kennedy is an empty suit heir force hack who will definitely move the Senate Democratic Caucus' overton window to the right on environmental issues.  Markey was the Senate's leading advocate for the Green New Deal and was an excellent congressman.  It'd be like saying "let's replace Chris Murphy with Matt Lieberman because something something new blood."

I had no idea voting for the 1994 Crime Bill, NAFTA, and the Iraq War was fighting for progressive legislation.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #298 on: May 20, 2020, 02:14:06 PM »
« Edited: May 20, 2020, 02:32:37 PM by Everything Burns... »

Markey has a long track record of fighting to implement progressive legislation.  Kennedy is an empty suit heir force hack who will definitely move the Senate Democratic Caucus' overton window to the right on environmental issues.  Markey was the Senate's leading advocate for the Green New Deal and was an excellent congressman.  It'd be like saying "let's replace Chris Murphy with Matt Lieberman because something something new blood."

I had no idea voting for the 1994 Crime Bill, NAFTA, and the Iraq War were pieces of progressive legislation.

I had no idea there were people who think Kennedy wouldn't have been an enthusiastic supporter of all of those things were he in office then.  Also, you should try doing some research instead of just word-vomiting a few bad votes from a 44 year congressional career.  You might learn a thing or two.

Also, if we're going by the 1994 crime bill then I guess Bernie Sanders is a right-winger who needs to be primaried by an establishment legacy candidate ASAP because he also voted for it.  
Upstater
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -4.00

P P
« Reply #299 on: May 20, 2020, 02:24:43 PM »

I had no idea voting for the 1994 Crime Bill, NAFTA, and the Iraq War were pieces of progressive legislation.

I had no idea there were people delusional enough to think Kennedy wouldn't have been an enthusiastic supporter of all of those things were he in office then.  Also, you should try doing some research instead of just word-vomiting a few bad votes from a 44 year congressional career.  You might learn a thing or two.

Also, if we're going by the 1994 crime bill then I guess Bernie Sanders is a right-winger who needs to be primaried by an establishment legacy candidate ASAP because he also voted for it.  See, I can cherry pick in bad-faith just like you Smiley

You may be right that Kennedy would have supported all of these bills, but I do think that he would've at least opposed the Iraq War.  Second, it's not just a bad vote.  These are votes that had a direct negative impact on the lives of ordinary people in the United States and across the world.  Third, I don't like Sanders and I believe that he was wrong to vote for it. 
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 55  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies