Democrats may front-load caucuses earlier than New Hampshire
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:55:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Democrats may front-load caucuses earlier than New Hampshire
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Democrats may front-load caucuses earlier than New Hampshire  (Read 1760 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 11, 2005, 10:32:20 PM »

I apologize if that headline is a little poorly constructed.

Source

Dems Urge Changes to Nominating Calendar

By WILL LESTER, Associated Press Writer Sat Dec 10, 6:20 PM ET

WASHINGTON - Toying with tradition, powerful Democrats recommended Saturday that New Hampshire lose its treasured status as part of a presidential one-two punch with Iowa and push its historic primary behind one or two states with more diverse populations.

The recommendation would add one or two caucuses after Iowa's but before New Hampshire's leadoff primary.

The proposal, which would need to be approved by the
Democratic National Committee in April, would also add primaries in one or two states after New Hampshire but before the calendar opens up on Feb. 5.

"I hope this is the beginning of the end of Iowa and New Hampshire's dominant role," said Michigan Sen. Carl Levin (news, bio, voting record), who forced the creation of the primary commission in the last presidential cycle.

The new states — which have not been named — would need to be ethnically diverse and from different areas of the country, like the South or Southwest.

States like South Carolina, Arkansas, Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico or Nevada as well as other small states with diverse populations could be in the running. Both New Hampshire and Iowa are predominantly white.

New Hampshire has promised to fight the proposal and will try to rally support from grass-roots Democrats and potential presidential candidates. But their efforts to derail Saturday's proposal by the Democratic commission could be tough.

Potential Democratic presidential candidates would be placed in an awkward position speaking against diversity while wooing minority voters.

John Edwards, the 2004 vice presidential candidate, reacted cautiously to the proposal Saturday while at a meeting of Florida Democrats. While there needs to be diversity in the nominating calendar, he said, it's important "for Iowa and New Hampshire to maintain their status because, having lived through them, I know the importance of grass-roots campaigning that occurs in both places."

Another potential nominee, Virginia Gov. Mark Warner, took a similar stance — praising Iowa and New Hampshire while acknowledging the importance of diversity.

For more than three decades, presidential hopefuls have trekked to state fairs, picnics and gatherings of the party faithful in Iowa and New Hampshire — a ritual that seems built into the American political system.

New Hampshire's secretary of state, William Gardner, has said he would eventually consider whether he must move up the state's primary to comply with a New Hampshire law that requires it to be scheduled a week or more before any "similar election." Gardner said Saturday he wants to get more information on the proposal before commenting again.

In a true caucus, voters attend lengthy meetings at a certain number of specified locations; such gatherings tend to attract party activists. Primaries are more like general elections, with a much broader voting population casting ballots at many polling places.

"If New Hampshire decides to challenge the proposal, all bets are off," said Levin, who noted that Michigan may bid to hold one of the early contests.

The Democratic commission also took steps to slow down the voting in the remainder of the primary calendar, recommending incentives for states that hold primaries later in the process to allow more time for considering various candidates.

New Hampshire Democratic chair Kathy Sullivan complained the commission's recommendation Saturday will make front-loading worse.

"Front-loading the calendar with new caucuses would make the process narrower and less democratic, and it would be a huge setback to Democrats' efforts to carry Iowa and New Hampshire in the future," said Sullivan, whose state has held the nation's first primary every four years since 1920.

The proposal to make subtle changes after Iowa and before New Hampshire was almost derailed by an unsuccessful bid to make all states wait until Feb. 5 to start scheduling primaries and caucuses.

The goal of getting more minority voters involved early is likely to gain momentum.

"This was just a first step," said Spencer Overton, a black commission member. "There is more work to do."

Now the recommendation goes to the rules panel of the Democratic National Committee, which will work on details of the plan before sending it along to the full DNC for a vote by the April meeting in New Orleans.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 07:53:29 AM »

It might be a good idea for Democrats to tie their presidential candidates to more comeptitive areas. New Mexico and West Virginia could be good states to hold early primaries in, to keep the small state feel.
FerrisBueller86
jhsu

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 07:52:36 PM »

Or maybe everyone should get to vote at the same time.  Think about this: How would you like it if your favorite candidate faded out before you got to vote?  How would you like it if the party nomination was already decided before you got to vote?

Then again, now that I'm an Iowan instead of a Virginian or Illinoisian, I should shut up about this matter.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 08:36:48 PM »

By the time I'm dead, we'll have national primary day.  Hopefully it's sonner than later; it simply isn't fair that NH and IA Dems have so much power.  Of course nobody has the balls to stand up and say its a problem, but this is a start.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 11:15:09 PM »

What if the first primary was Missouri? It's a pretty diverse state- and since a bellwether and whatnot, it would probably be good in determining a skilled candidate.
tarheel-leftist85
krustytheklown
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2005, 11:27:26 AM »

With the caucuses b/w IA and NH, I would go with two of the following:
Arkansas
West Virginia
Kentucky
Oklahoma
New Mexico
These are small states which would keep to the theme of retail politicking.  I would also let Arkansas, rather than SC be the first in the South b/c we're a libertarian bastion for about every party (latte libs., effected evangelicals, true libertarians, etc., etc.).  We're the Democratic party last time I checked.  That's why my avatar(?) is NC now.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2005, 11:37:37 AM »

Having all the primaries on the same day, while fair, would remove the folksy aspect of primaries. I think that's a pretty good part of it.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2005, 02:17:46 PM »

Having all the primaries on the same day, while fair, would remove the folksy aspect of primaries. I think that's a pretty good part of it.

I think having the primaries spaced out over a month of two achieves two useful things…

Firstly it forces candidates to go through a potentially tough and gruelling campaign which helps to weed out those who simply don’t have the stamina, temperament or “beef” to compete in a general election, witness Muskie in 72, Hart in 84 and Dean in 04.

Secondly it forces candidates to campaign amongst a broader electorate than simply those ideologically committed to them and helps them to be more competitive nationally, if Utah decided the GOP nominee and Vermont the Democrat it would be a pretty unrepresentative system wouldn’t… you’d end up with an election pitting Tom Coburn against Dick Durbin Roll Eyes

Personally I think West Virginia (or maybe Kentucky) would benefit from having it’s primary being pushed forward, I mean it helped get Kennedy nominated in 1960 and it provides a useful populist bellwether follow that up with somewhere like New Jersey or Washington and then have a big sweep of contests like the first super Tuesday in 2004,a couple of southern states together with a few in the south west and Midwest… I wouldn’t dump Iowa and New Hampshire out of hand though, especially New Hampshire.               
zorkpolitics
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2005, 04:25:58 PM »

BTW , NJ has moved its primary up from mid June to the second week in Feb.  So for the first itme since 1976 a presidential primary in NJ might mean something
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2005, 04:46:43 PM »

Now that I've gotten into Dartmouth, I am strongly in favor of keeping NH the second contest.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2005, 05:05:35 PM »

Now that I've gotten into Dartmouth, I am strongly in favor of keeping NH the second contest.

Congrats!  Nearly went there myself, and I know a few people there now.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies