How would a President Hillary Clinton fare in 2020? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 11:35:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Alternative Elections (Moderator: Dereich)
  How would a President Hillary Clinton fare in 2020? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How would a President Hillary Clinton fare in 2020?  (Read 1979 times)
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« on: August 06, 2019, 07:05:30 PM »

Her approval ratings and disapproval ratings wouldn't be quite as bad as Trump, but the country would still be polarized and President Clinton working with a Republican Congress, for all four years probably wouldn't get much done to keep Democrats enthused or interested in voting, whereas Republicans would somehow be even more pissed off than they are in our current reality where they won (though if she won in 2016 Feingold, Kander, and McGinty may have won and gave the Democrats a short-lived majority in the Senate).

However, on the plus side, Clinton would probably be doing much better on foreign policy, and the economy would most likely be in a similar position as it is under Trump. She would certainly do a better job than he does of staying on a message where she can positively attribute those things to her presidency. It wouldn't be enough though, because quite simply, if holding the White House for three consecutive terms for a party is impossible in our current day and age, holding it for four is even more impossible.

This election would be likely R, as Clinton winning in 2016 probably just temporarily delayed the reactionary scourge that has become a cancer on our nation. Clinton only manages to win the states that went for her by more than 5% in our 2016.

However, I would still take this theoretical reality over the one we're living in currently any day. I don't know who the Republicans would nominate but there is no way they could be as bad as Trump (unless Trump himself pursues the nomination again). I won't deny that it would still suck though. Clinton winning in 2016 would have had its negative consequences but I don't think they'd be as bad for the country as Trump winning in 2016 has proven to be. I will always stand by that, nightmare midterm results and all.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 07:46:32 PM »

I think she’d only be slightly worse off than Trump is.

I think people are forgetting how divided the GOP would be, they’d have been tearing themselves apart with recriminations over Trump and the future direction of the party. If it was Kasich or Haley who won the nomination they’d probably win the election quite easily, but I could have seen someone like Cruz or Paul winning the nomination and then throwing it away in the GE.

You do make a good point, but I still don't think it would matter.

Sure, the GOP would probably try to go back to moderating themselves, but the GOP primary voters still wouldn't necessarily reciprocate that ideal. They would still be the deranged, bloodthirsty lunatics that they were in 2016. Someone like Tom Cotton would probably win the primary and, even in spite of how reactionary and divisive he would be, win the general election too. This would mostly be due to what would become massive party fatigue for the Democrats holding the White House, as I said in my post.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies