2020 Democrats Timeline: A Different 27 - now back in short form!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:59:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  2020 Democrats Timeline: A Different 27 - now back in short form!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 2020 Democrats Timeline: A Different 27 - now back in short form!  (Read 2415 times)
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 02, 2019, 09:21:26 AM »
« edited: March 08, 2021, 04:15:05 PM by beesley »

Here's a timeline, in which Donald Trump became President in 2016. The Republican Party gained Senate seats but lost the House in 2018. Two new Supreme Court Justices, foreign policy upheaval, and a tax cut for the wealthy. Exactly like real life.

27 people don't think that's good enough. In fact, they think they can do a better job. Sounds familiar? Well, the story is the same, except it's different, and told through many different eyes.

I had this idea on holiday, now I'm back, let's get it going. I hope you enjoy!

Due to personal reasons I could not properly start the timeline, however it's back in shorter form if people want it.

Current Day:
November 26, 2018

Current Candidates:
1. Virginia Senator Tim Kaine (declared November 26, 2018)
2. Wisconsin Senator Tammy Baldwin (declared November 26, 2018)
3. Former Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick (declared January 15, 2019)
4. Former Congressional Candidate and MSNBC Host Krystal Ball (declared January 21, 2019)

Tracker:
[/url]
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 09:28:34 AM »
« Edited: August 02, 2019, 09:44:11 AM by beesley »

13 July, 2020

The first day of the 2020 Democrat Convention. A surprise conversation outside of the main events between two friends.

Pete Buttigieg, Mayor of South Bend, Indiana: None of this really matters for me. Either I win or I lose. Nothing to do with any of this stuff.

John Hickenlooper, former Governor of Colorado: Then that’s your asset. If it’s separate from all this you can win.

Buttigieg: Aren’t you optimistic? You should be for your state at least--

Hickenlooper: Of course I’m optimistic. We got the worst President in history on the ballot and I know how good you are. Don’t be in two minds about this… whether we win Indiana's EVs or not, you just run a good race.

(Interruption--)

Hickenlooper: Well, sounds like we better go inside… Let’s get dinner sometime, maybe after our speeches. Bring your... partner. I got an invite to dinner from some businessman called Richard Yang but I don’t know who that is. Restaurant looks good though.

Buttigieg: Hmm… I think that name rings a bell, but I don’t know why. (Pause.) Yeah, I’m free whenever. Know any good joints round here?

Hickenlooper: Afraid not. I suppose we both would if we had run for President. (chuckles)

Buttigieg: I remember when all that began, I still have a timeline of events in my head.

Hickenlooper: Me too. Come on, let’s go in so we can avoid seeing Eric Swalwell.
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 04:59:13 PM »

So 27 people run for 2020? That's insane
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2019, 04:26:36 AM »

So 27 people run for 2020? That's insane

The same. But different.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 02:40:36 AM »
« Edited: August 05, 2019, 08:23:50 AM by beesley »

14 July, 2020

After being unable to arrange dinner, Hickenlooper and Buttigieg went for a pancake breakfast, joined by Washington Governor Jay Inslee and former HUD Secretary Julian Castro.

Buttigieg: You know, I was saying to John… I said I had a timeline of events in his head about the nomination, and that got me thinking. This Presidential primary has dominated the news cycle right from the midterms, and no news really is good news sometimes.

Inslee: It was immediately after the midterms I was asked for support from five different prospective candidates. I couldn’t pledge to a single one, and that riled them from the start.

Castro: I got calls too from a lot of them.

Hickenlooper:
One candidate asked me before anyone else, it was still November.

Castro: Who was that?

beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 08:40:02 AM »
« Edited: August 05, 2019, 09:54:00 AM by beesley »

November 15, 2018

Don McEachin, recently re-elected as representative, takes a phone call.

McEachin: Well, thanks for asking me before anyone else.
(Garbled)
McEachin: Well, before any other representatives anyway. I think you’ll be on top in no time.

Mark Pocan, also recently re-elected as representative, takes a phone call.

Pocan: It’s not too early. Be the first, and my caucus members can back you. By the time the next person declares, you’ll have already established yourself…
(Garbled)
Pocan: November 26th. Got it.

November 26, 2018

Mark Pocan: (on the phone again) You've been beaten to it.

beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 10:03:28 AM »

TheHill, 25th November

Cory Booker passes on President, files for re-election.
Booker had been considered one of the most likely candidates for the Presidency. In a CNN interview however, he said that he 'knows many talented people who are running,' and that he had chosen against running. The move

Steve Bullock said to be mulling 2020 Senate bid.
Montana Governor Steve Bullock is said to be considering mounting a challenge to incumbent Senator Steve Daines. Bullock would be the top recruit for Democrats, who held this seat as recently in 2014, but may struggle in a Presidential Election year without a known quantity.

Former Congressman John Delaney to become Fox News Contributor.
The Maryland Congressman retired from politics last year, claiming to be dissatisfied with the inability to pass 'good ideas.' He will join Fox News on a part-time basis.

EU Leaders agree proposed Brexit Deal with the UK.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 10:41:23 AM »

November 26th, 2018

CNN: Tim Kaine announces Presidential bid.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Tim_Kaine_116th_official_portrait.jpg

As Kaine became the first candidate to announce his run, supporters of his and rival campaigns watch, the former in excitement, the latter in disappointment.

Wolf Blitzer: ... he of course was the Vice Presidential candidate on Hillary Clinton's unsuccessful bid in 2016. Here's what he had to say.

(Cuts to clip of Kaine, speaking to an audience gathered in Reston, Virginia.)

Kaine: I've listened to people in my state, and people in this country. I stood against Donald Trump before we knew what he truly was -- and now we do know. He's the opposite of the American dream. He ignores those who want it, despite promising them prosperity. He discriminaes against those people, because of their race or their country of origin. He takes from the hope of Americans with one hand, to give to threats of war, nationalism, and corruption with the other. Let's defeat this madness, and build on what we have left. (Applause from crowd)

(Returns to studio)

Wolf Blitzer: Let's get reaction now from John King.

John King:... most voters will know Tim Kaine, and they will know him as a moderate. However, as they see more of him, he has to pick his strategy. Does he cement his moderate reputation, or does he veer to the left like Hillary Clinton did, and we know who she picked as her running mate... the other question of course is can he get the nomination? It's far too early, but I can tell you now he will be in this for the long haul.

Wolf Blitzer: And we've just heard that Kaine has won his first two endorsements, no surprise, his Senate colleague Mark Warner will be endorsing him as well as fellow Virginia Congressman Don McEachin.

beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2019, 11:00:19 AM »

July 13, 2020

The discussion continues.

John Hickenlooper: It was Tim Kaine. I told him that I had to wait.

Julian Castro: Of course, he wasn't the only candidate to declare that day.

November 26, 2018

As Tim Kaine declared, a second candidate faces a dilemma. They discuss it with their confidant.

Mark Pocan: This a great opportunity. He's just announced and you've timed your announcement perfectly. I don't know how you did it...

(garbled)

Pocan: What do you mean, this is bad. Come on, he's for the past and you're for the future. The contrast will define you so you'll be in it for the long haul.

(garbled)

Pocan: I'm sure.

(garbled)

Pocan: You're going go as planned? Perfect.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2019, 11:22:40 AM »

November 26th, 2018

The Rachel Maddow Show: Tammy Baldwin becomes the second candidate to announce a Presidential run, the same day as Tim Kaine became the first.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Tammy_Baldwin,_official_portrait,_113th_Congress.jpg

Rachel Maddow: So the 2020 Presidential race has heated up already, and now, I have an exclusive for you. As one candidate announces, I have another on tonight's show. She was the first woman elected to Congress from Wisconsin, but didn't stop there. She made history as the first openly gay person elected to the US Senate, when she was told she was the underdog. Now, Tammy Baldwin, re-elected just this month to a second term, is running for President of the United States.

(in the office of Mark Pocan)

Mark Pocan: Good job.

beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2019, 11:26:11 AM »
« Edited: August 05, 2019, 01:27:15 PM by beesley »

Endorsements for 26 November, 2018

Tim Kaine:
Virginia Senator Mark Warner
VA-04 Rep Don McEachin

Tammy Baldwin:
WI-02 Rep Mark Pocan

Endorsement Points a la 538 (excluding DNC members)

Tim Kaine: 9
Tammy Baldwin: 3
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2019, 12:23:47 PM »

https://tinyurl.com/ADiff27Track - A tracker for both my purposes and yours.

Please leave a reply, to signal you want this to go on, to leave feedback, to move this up the board, or to predict who else will run (a few surprises along the way)
NyIndy

Political Matrix
E: 0.25, S: -3.15

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2019, 08:19:38 PM »

Keep this up! I love it!
President of the civil service full of trans activists
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2019, 10:03:04 PM »

Baldwin 2020!
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2019, 07:22:51 AM »

July 14, 2018

Inslee: I thought Tammy was a good candidate when she announced. That didn't help. The two of them announced at the same time and already it's a huge dividing line.

Hickenlooper: I never wanted a Senator particularly, a Governor particularly.

Castro: Or a mayor and cabinet member.

Buttigieg: You could've ran, Julian. You had the economic experience, plus you'd have done a lot for immigration reform.

Castro: Well it's fortunate someone else ran just like that, if you think that.

Hickenlooper: Hold on! I got my wish for a Governor before that, after Christmas.

Inslee: It was good nobody else ran before Christmas.

Buttigieg: Yeah, I remember Seth Moulton mentioning that.

November 27, 2018

As they gather to try and remove Nancy Pelosi, Reps. Tim Ryan and Seth Moulton are distracted by the 2020 race.

Ryan: This is already a joke. Tim Kaine and Tammy Baldwin the same day. We divide the party already, we have stuff to do, and it means I get less attention for all the things I'm doing to save America.

Moulton: You seem out of character today.

Ryan: What is?

Moulton: Normally you swear more, that's all. The rest was like normal.

Ryan: I'm just sick and tired of the politics and not the governing.

Moulton: Then run yourself.

Ryan: Nah, there's no way that happens. I'm going to be Speaker one day, you know.

Moulton: Good to hear it. I'm not running, and if you're not, I suspect you know someone who is.

Ryan: Yes, I do. Do you?

Moulton: I do. A certain Congresswoman.

Ryan: That AOC person? Or Marcia Fudge? She's going to be Speaker before me.

Moulton: No, no, no. Alexandria's not old enough. And Marcia isn't running. No, another one, completely different. I heard her discussing it.

Ryan: So you've already decided.

Moulton: No, I'm not supporting her. Anyway, I thought you wanted to get away from this topic.

At the Kaine campaign, Tim Kaine can be heard in an annoyed state.

Kaine: How did we not know about this? We needed that day of headlines. Now I'm the weak candidate against the bold progressive.

Aide: You thought there would be no bold progressives in the race? Anyway, I have heard of another running, if you want intelligence. I don't have the exact name, but--

Kaine: Well, just spit it out.

Aide: All I know is that Bernie Sanders is backing them. Bernie himself is going to make an announcement soon. I believe Bernie wants to 'repay' them.

Kaine: Hmmm. Well, I'm glad Bernie's out of it, if that's true.

July 14, 2018

Inslee: I think Bernie ruled out a run before Christmas. He could've won against this field. Loads of people could. Joe Biden of course, Elizabeth Warren, even Beto O'Rourke.

Buttigieg: I mean, there have been some pretty disappointing candidacies. I'm glad we avoided them.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2019, 07:58:23 AM »
« Edited: August 06, 2019, 08:26:04 AM by beesley »

News from The Hill for December 2, 2018

Sanders announces he won't run again, citing age.
The former candidate says he will support the most candidate 'courageous in tackling the interests that hurt the American people.'

Polls for December 7, 2018

NBC/SurveyMonkey 3-5 Dec
If between Baldwin and Kaine only.
Baldwin 15%
Kaine 14%
Undecided 71%

When asked who you would most likely support in 2020

Joe Biden 18%
Elizabeth Warren 8%
Tammy Baldwin 4%
Tim Kaine 4%
Kamala Harris 3%
Sherrod Brown 2%
Beto O'Rourke 2%
Kirsten Gillibrand 1%
Jeff Merkley 1%
Ro Khanna 1%
Julian Castro 1%
Donna Shalala 1%
Others 15%
Don't know 39%

Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2019, 08:00:37 AM »

#NeverKaine
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2019, 11:00:25 AM »

December 28, 2018

Former Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick sits at home with his wife, Diane.

Deval: Ultimately, it's your decision.

Diane: I am not going to stop you from doing what you want to do and what you believe is right.

Deval: I'm not sure it is right. I don't know.

Diane: I've told you what I think. If it's my decision... you'll do it. (Pause.) Sleep on it maybe.

Deval: Alright. Good Night.

beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2019, 12:31:03 PM »

I won't be doing any qualifying polls until the first 10 candidates have announced - it takes a lot of time to plan all this out so, just to make it one little bit easier.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2019, 02:36:18 PM »
« Edited: August 07, 2019, 02:43:52 PM by beesley »

January 15, 2019

Politico: Former Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick becomes the third candidate for the Democratic nomination.
After months of urging from allies of the former governor as well as aides to President Obama, Patrick announced his candidacy. He is perceived to be running on a platform with five major planks: governance competency, criminal justice reform, improving immigration and race relations, economic opportunity for all, and climate change. He becomes the third candidate to enter the race, as well as the first governor and first African-American candidate.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Deval_Patrick_official_photo.jpg
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2019, 02:58:07 PM »

News from TheHill for January 17, 2019

Tammy Baldwin unveils economic development plan for deprived communities.

https://s.abcnews.com/images/Politics/abc_baldwin_senate_121106_wg.jpg

The plan would guarantee of 25% of infrastructure investment for communities , including many in her home state of Wisconsin, as well as the key early state of South Carolina. This comes as crosstabs by Rasmussen Reports suggest Baldwin is performing worst in the South and best in the Midwest.

Deval Patrick calls Donald Trump 'a President whose only policy is being against the values of this nation.'

The former Governor made his speech in a campaign kickoff rally in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Endorsements for January 17, 2019

Tammy Baldwin:
WI State Senate Minority Leader Jennifer Schilling
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2019, 03:11:55 PM »

January 19, 2019

CNN: Kamala Harris NOT running for President.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Senator_Harris_official_senate_portrait.jpg

Anderson Cooper: And we have just had it confirmed that California Senator Kamala Harris is NOT running for President. This will come as a surprise to many, but rumours are she did not see a path to the nomination after a fellow Senator, first elected in 2014 or 2016, also plans to run. The news is patchy but it was clear enough for Kamala Harris.

The campaigns mull over the effect on Harris' decline to run.

Aide to Tim Kaine: Harris could have won a lot of states we want to. North Carolina, Georgia, and maybe Arizona. Remember, our path is virtually all Clinton states, and that was what Harris wanted.

Aide to Tammy Baldwin: Harris not running will give us a few votes. But I'm still not sure if it really is huge news for us.

Aide to Deval Patrick: Well, if her and Booker are gone... this is very good for us where the black vote is concerned.

July 14, 2020

The discussion continues:

Hickenlooper: And you guys remember who was next after Deval?

Buttigieg (laughing): Certainly one of the more unusual candidates we've had. And from Virginia too. Tim was pretty miffed.

President of the civil service full of trans activists
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2019, 07:06:10 PM »

Yes! Danica 2020!
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2019, 09:09:17 AM »
« Edited: August 08, 2019, 10:11:20 AM by beesley »

January 19, 2019

Doug Lamborn and Rob Wittman chat at an organisational meeting of Republican Caucus Members selected to serve on the House Natural Resources Committee.

Wittman: This sucks ass.

Lamborn: What does?

Wittman: Take a guess.

Lamborn: Well, there's a long list. Being in the minority, the government shutdown, town hall meetings, online abuse, the queue at Panera Bread.

Wittman: Add reminding me of everything else.

Lamborn: Sorry. Hey, something may make you laugh a bit.

Wittman: Well, it can't hurt.

Lamborn: Here it is. (shows Wittman picture) . Didn't she run against you?

Wittman: In 2010, yeah. We got a lot of attention that year.

Lamborn: Well, this time she's running for something bigger.

Wittman: Primarying Warner?

Lamborn: No.

Wittman: Well... wait, you can't mean for President.

Lamborn: I can.

Wittman: I know someone who's going to be annoyed at that. (Laughs) Doug, you kept your promise today.

beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2019, 10:10:58 AM »

News from Politico for January 20, 2019
Day 30 of the Government Shutdown

Third year of Trump Presidency begins today.
Whilst Republicans have been touting their achievements over the past two years, Democrats responded angrily given the shutdown. A particularly strong response came from California Rep. Ted Lieu.

Kaine opens campaign headquarters in Ashburn amid strong criticism.
Kaine opened his new headquarters despite criticism that he was fine with opening his HQ in Northern Virginia whilst hundreds of federal employees in the area remain unpaid.

Former HUD Secretary Julian Castro passes on Presidential run.
The former Obama cabinet member also confirmed his twin brother Joaquin would not run. When asked about a potential bid for the Senate, he declined to comment.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Juli%C3%A1n_Castro%27s_Official_HUD_Portrait_(cropped).jpg
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies