Knowles 2006?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:40:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Knowles 2006?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Knowles 2006?  (Read 2591 times)
Sarnstrom
sarnstrom54014

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 04, 2005, 01:52:43 PM »

From Anchorage Daily News:

"The thermostat is rising on Tony Knowles' noncampaign for governor redux. It's all gossip of course. He's not saying anything official, but he looks amazingly like a candidate.

Knowles is reportedly discussing announcement strategy with his "advisers," whoever they are. Sooner vs. later is the issue. Early is if you need name recognition. He's got that, so later seems the choice. Of course, that messes up other Democrats who are waiting on his decision to decide about running or giving money.

Tony was one of the many pols who showed up at UAA on Tuesday for the big gas line gas fest. Earwigs report he and John Binkley were smiling big and working the room.

Someone who wasn't there was state gas line guru Jim Clark. They said he wasn't able to get back in time from an oily meeting in Texas.

Guess the gov's new jet just isn't fast enough, someone joked.

The Republicans are worried enough to put a poll out asking voters how they would go in a Frank-against-Tony race. It also asks whether they would vote for Frank if he gets a gas line. An earwig who got called said it's being done by robots -- one of those automated things.

THE GREAT OUTSIDE . . . Tony is probably buoyed by the newest SurveyUSA poll that tracks approval/disapproval of governors in their home states. Frank is rated at 68 negative, 26 positive, which puts him second to last in the nation, ahead only of Ohio Gov. Bob Taft, who's in some kind of big trouble back there."

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/story/7259125p-7170879c.html

Tony Knowles - Ethan Berkowitz 2006!!
Sarnstrom
sarnstrom54014

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2005, 01:55:47 PM »

This is the only poll I was able to find:

Hellenthal and Associates poll, June 2-9, registered voters (?), MoE ± 5.45%:

Murkowski re-elect:

No: 60%
Yes: 21%

Knowles (D): 51%
Murkowski (R): 29%
Halcro (I): 15%

Murkowski (R): 38%
Berkowitz (D): 34%
Halcro (I): 14%

Murkowski (R): 37%
Croft (D): 27%
Halcro (I): 17%

Murkowski (R)

Favorable: 35%
Unfavorable: 52%

Berkowitz (D)

Favorable: 28%
Unfavorable: 12%

http://polstate.com/2005/07/31/ak-a-polstate-exclusive-leaked-poll/
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005, 03:37:41 PM »

I don't know if I'd like to see Knowles take a shot at the Governorship. Berkowitz is a DLC moderate with some potential. The GOP in Alaska is suffering no doubt about that. I thought Knowles might have had a chance to win last year.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2005, 03:55:34 PM »

I’ve seen polls showing Knowles ahead before.

But I can’t help thinking that in an off-year, with national factors going against the GOP he would stand a better chance of winning the governorship than he did of getting elected to the senate last fall.

Unlike last year a popular Bush’s coattails wont be their to save an embattled
Murkowski.

So if he runs and Murkowski, Knowles should stand a good chance of getting his old job back, its just a shame his daughter wasn’t up for election in 2006 rather than 2004, had the election been next fall rather than last year Knowles would have probably won.           
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2005, 06:08:27 PM »

Survey USA's Govenor's poll show Murkowski sinking towards Taft territort  26% Approve 68% disapprove (Taft was the only Govenor lower)

http://www.surveyusa.com/client/PollReport.aspx?g=a4e2fa60-411f-4782-8439-1662af6836c7
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2005, 06:34:19 PM »

I don't know if I'd like to see Knowles take a shot at the Governorship. Berkowitz is a DLC moderate with some potential. The GOP in Alaska is suffering no doubt about that. I thought Knowles might have had a chance to win last year.

You support weaker DLC candidates over stronger non-DLC candidates? Why?

Anyways, it looks like the most important question is - are any other Republicans running?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2005, 07:17:20 PM »

so knowles wants to be defeated by another murkowski?
Yates

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.54

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2005, 07:19:45 PM »

Knowles would be the heavy favourite in this race.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2005, 07:31:17 PM »

he was a heavy favorite in the senate race too.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2005, 07:44:22 PM »

You support weaker DLC candidates over stronger non-DLC candidates? Why?

Anyways, it looks like the most important question is - are any other Republicans running?

I don't support Berk over Knowles. I'm simply stating that Berk is a DLC moderate like Knowles. I remember him at the DLC conservation, he introduced Governor Warner. It seems that Knowles is the most popular Dem in the state right now, I wish he would run for Senate again. What I meant by my previous comment was that I thought Knowles had a chance then he got beat alot worse then the polls said, which I was upset about.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2005, 07:46:21 PM »

no, he wasn't.  Lisa was never as unpopular as Frank is now.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2005, 07:51:04 PM »

the murkowskis have always seemed to be unpopular, but they keep winning.

i dont care much for frank.  he is an s.o.b. 

lisa, on the other hand, is a real freedom fighter.  we need more of her kind in the senate.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2005, 10:07:18 PM »

Wow, are there so few Democrats in Alaska that they have to recycle former officeholders to run for the same office again?
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2005, 10:14:49 PM »

You are an SOB for periodizing SOB.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2005, 12:21:37 AM »

the murkowskis have always seemed to be unpopular, but they keep winning.

lisa, on the other hand, is a real freedom fighter.  we need more of her kind in the senate.

Few things

1.  Last year was a GOP year, next year seems to be more of a Dem year

2.  Last year Lisa had Bush's coatails to run on which was strong in Alaska,  with Bush being on the top of the ticket.  Frank has no catails to run on here as he is on the top of the ticket.

3 While Lisa's #'s haven't been on that good, they are quiote a bit better than her father's.  Lisa's #'s have been in the 40's for the most part, Frank is down in the mid 20's now.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2005, 12:28:00 AM »

Is Ted Stevens expected to retire in 2008?
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2005, 12:29:15 AM »

Wow, are there so few Democrats in Alaska that they have to recycle former officeholders to run for the same office again?

Yes, if they want to win. Alaska is one of the most Republican states in the country (up there with Utah and Idaho).
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2005, 12:32:23 AM »

Is Ted Stevens expected to retire in 2008?

There is about as much veracity to those rumors (at this point) as those about Wayne Allard of Colorado and John Warner of Virginia stepping down. 
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2005, 03:48:06 AM »

exactly my thinking...

I like Tony Knowles a lot... he was an excellent governor and would have been a brilliant senator...

However, the unbelievably unpopular Frank Murkowski offers an opportunity for an up-and-coming Democrat that doesn't come around so often in Alaska.  So, I'd like to see a younger Democrat who might some day replace Ted Stevens in the senate.

As for Lisa Murkowski...I don't know how successful she'll be with Stevens out of the picture... even so, I don't mind her so much as far as Republicans go...
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2005, 04:07:13 AM »

Why exactly has Frank Murkowski become so unpopular? Is it general bad times economically in Alaska or was there a specific scandal?

And Joe I think Alaska is "recycling" its Dems b/c it A) has a very small population and B) its heavily Republican

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2005, 12:17:59 PM »

And Joe I think Alaska is "recycling" its Dems b/c it A) has a very small population and B) its heavily Republican

So are Montana and the Dakotas, but they don't seem to have a shortage of viable Democratic candidates.  The Alaska Democratic Party seems to keep falling back on Knowles because he's the only candidate they have.  It just seems a little sad.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2005, 03:44:20 PM »

So are Montana and the Dakotas, but they don't seem to have a shortage of viable Democratic candidates.  The Alaska Democratic Party seems to keep falling back on Knowles because he's the only candidate they have.  It just seems a little sad.

True, but to have a viable Dem candidate the important thing is to have them elected to a lower post first, like State Senate or Mayor or something, Knowles was Mayor of Anchorage, home to 40% of the state's voters. These tiny states only have so many posts available, and that hurts down the road, when new candidates are needed. Alaska seems to be a 1 party fiefdom, since even Utah has some Democrats (Tim Mathieson and Rocky Anderson). It doesn't even have any other cities besides Anchorage so mayors with experience like Knowles aren't possible.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2005, 03:47:41 PM »

The Alaska Democratic Party seems to keep falling back on Knowles because he's the only candidate they have.  It just seems a little sad.

You do what you have to do!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies