Group launching effort to recall Mike Dunleavy (R-AK)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:25:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Group launching effort to recall Mike Dunleavy (R-AK)  (Read 3897 times)
Pollster
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 01, 2019, 09:03:21 AM »

Epaminondas

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 09:23:51 AM »

Do they have the numbers?
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 11:21:00 AM »

Let's get Gravel to run against him lol
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 12:16:30 PM »

70k is what’s needed I believe, and you could get that out of Anchorage alone.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 01:10:23 PM »

Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 01:48:51 PM »

So that's 3 states now.... Colorado, Oregon, and Alaska
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 02:59:43 PM »

Dunleavey should be removed for the budget fiasco he put the state in. Finally the fiscally responsible Bill Walker can run for his rightful second term.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2019, 03:25:49 PM »

Dunleavy seems to be a bad governor, but I'm actually critical of any recalls. Elections can't just be repeated as many times as we want because someone didn't like the result. Governors should only be removed if the violate the law (through impeachment) or did morally extremely behave in a bad way. Governing under the permanent threat of a recall isn't producing results and gives an executive less room to make unpopular decisions. Gray Davis should never have been recalled.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2019, 03:32:08 PM »

Dunleavy seems to be a bad governor, but I'm actually critical of any recalls. Elections can't just be repeated as many times as we want because someone didn't like the result. Governors should only be removed if the violate the law (through impeachment) or did morally extremely behave in a bad way. Governing under the permanent threat of a recall isn't producing results and gives an executive less room to make unpopular decisions. Gray Davis should never have been recalled.
Alaska, especially its education system, is literally in a massive budget crisis because of his idiocy. If anything, this move is actually justified.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2019, 03:40:42 PM »

Alaska, especially its education system, is literally in a massive budget crisis because of his idiocy. If anything, this move is actually justified.

Wasn't it already under Walker and the reason he was unpopular?
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2019, 10:58:55 PM »

I don't see the problem of undoing elections through things like recalls. I'm of the opinion that our strict electoral calendar makes people less politically engaged overall
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2019, 09:16:37 AM »

I also see no problem with recalls - most democracies permit (and regularly use) motions of no confidence to trigger elections outside of a preset schedule to remove heads of government.

The problems I have are with recalls triggered specifically because the losing party is just unhappy with the results (see: Oregon and Colorado). Dunleavy's inept leadership and disastrous mishandling of the state's budget warrants a motion of no confidence.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2019, 10:44:13 AM »

I also see no problem with recalls [...]

The problems I have are with recalls triggered specifically because the losing party is just unhappy with the results

Surely you realize why this viewpoint might be problematic, right?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2019, 11:57:35 AM »

I think recalls can work in smaller states, but less so in bigger ones (or heaven forbid, a national recall) that would demand gigantic funding and so would only be open to Big Money.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2019, 01:56:20 PM »

Wasn't it already under Walker and the reason he was unpopular?
Bill Walker was not responsible for the collapse in oil prices and lack of economic change in Alaska for the past decade. He at least tried to maintain the budget by making necessary cuts to the oil fund so as to ensure other needs of Alaska were met. He made a tough choice for the best of his state and got booted for it.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2019, 02:00:06 PM »

TBF It seems like most nations have some sort of mechanism for this, in parliamentary democracies it's a motion of no confidence, here it's a recall (which can't even be done for all positions...), there has to be some sort of mechanism for removal, be it impeachment or recall.
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2019, 02:02:33 PM »

I would support this if the LG didn’t become Governor instead. Getting rid of Dunleavy isn’t enough. You need a Democratic Governor. I’d rather just beat him in 2022 with a Democrat instead.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2019, 10:00:24 AM »

Recall Dunleavy group gets 10,000 signatures in a day, over a third of what it needs:
https://www.adn.com/politics/2019/08/03/recall-dunleavy-group-says-it-got-more-than-10000-signatures-on-the-first-day/
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2019, 04:36:59 PM »

Good. If I was an Alaskan I would be livid about those education cuts. He's kneecaping the whole education system in the state and all that's going to do is push young people to the mainland US.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2019, 10:25:22 PM »

This recall is already more serious than any of the GOP death rattles in NV, OR and CO.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2019, 01:37:02 PM »

I wonder if Begich will try again.
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2019, 02:31:24 PM »

Would rather a fresh face at this point. Plenty of rising stars in the legislature who have proven their ability to win tough seats
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2019, 04:20:25 PM »

Begich is more or less the AK Democratic bench, and if he wins this, it might set him up for either a Senate bid, if Murkowski retires or is primaried, or a House seat, when Don Young finally retires

Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2019, 11:29:13 AM »

Begich is the likely candidate but it would be great to see Forrest Dunbar make an attempt, especially since he was one of the masterminds behind the operation that created the "independent with the support of the Democratic party" model that has been so successful.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2019, 11:57:47 AM »

xD