Q&A Thread for J-Mann's Senate Campaign
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:01:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Q&A Thread for J-Mann's Senate Campaign
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Q&A Thread for J-Mann's Senate Campaign  (Read 929 times)
J-Mann
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 28, 2005, 09:55:49 PM »

Howdy folks:

Please feel free to ask me any and all questions concerning myself, my views and my campaign for the third district Senate seat.  I'd be proud to represent the midwest and, if elected, look forward to getting involved in the politics of the forum.

First and foremost, I'm honest with people -- sometimes to a fault Smiley  I'm admittedly new to Atlas fantasy politics and am not as up as I'd like to be on all of the issues that many of you have dealt with for months, if not years.  I'll certainly put the effort into studying the issues, but most of the time, lengthy answers to questions or intense issue discussions will have to wait until after I'm off work. 

I have time during the day to visit the forum, just usually not much time to put a lot of thought behind my posts; being an elected representative of the forum would require the attention that I probably won't be able to give during the day but can set aside time for in the evenings.  Fortunately, the majority of the forum is also at work or school during the day, so this will probably work well.

I have chosen to be a member of the Christian Democratic Party because it most closely fits my political views.  I am more conservative on many social issues and am a traditionalist at heart; however, I favor slightly leftist (on the political compass, anyway) economic policies; I am a firm believer in charity as well as the rights of individual workers to be well taken care of.  I am progressive when it comes to scientific matters, I have a bit of a "green" streak, and so far as international relations and matters of defense go, I could fairly be labeled a "hawk."  The dichotomy between my social and economic views puts me in the centrist camp; while I am more than willing to listen, discuss, and debate ideas, I have firm beliefs on most issues and will vigorously defend my views if necessary.

That paragraph more or less glosses over my views, but feel free to ask more in-depth and prodding questions.

Finally, I have one request for all of you: being as how I am still feeling my way through Atlas politics, I would appreciate it if those of you with questions about forum political issues could break them down by issue; ie: "How do you feel about [this bill] or [this issue]" as opposed to "What do you think about everything that's before the Senate?"  Not a necessity, just a humble request from a newbie Smiley

Thanks for your time; I look forward to any questions you all might have for me.  I am looking forward to this race as an opportunity to get to know all of you better, and wish CheeseWhiz the best of luck, as well.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 10:20:33 PM »

I may not be in your district, but I'll help get the ball rolling.

What is your No. 1 issue that you intend to legislate on if elected?
Yates

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.54

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 10:20:47 PM »

Welcome to the forum, J-Mann.  I am also a new member.  

My question for you is what are your views regarding free trade (specifically NAFTA and CAFTA)?
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 10:59:50 PM »
« Edited: November 28, 2005, 11:49:07 PM by J-Mann »

I may not be in your district, but I'll help get the ball rolling.

What is your No. 1 issue that you intend to legislate on if elected?

I may need corrected on this if the Atlas Senate has already addressed it or if it's even something that is an issue for fellow forumites, but as far as the most important issue to me personally right now: border security.

And it's a tough one -- I'm afraid I don't have an easy solution at the ready; full amnesty for everyone isn't the answer, but neither is building a 2000-mile long fence.  A fairly large amount of produce farmers in the southwest as well as around the nation rely on migrant workers for cheap labor, and we can't ignore the contribution that immigrants give to the economy.  Also, having grown up in a Hispanic-influenced area, I'm sympathetic to the plight of immigrants.

The closest answer I could give to such a contentious question is that we need a firm commitment to a guest-worker program that aids the economy and workers (both immigrants and our own citizens), while securing the border.  The technology to do so is available, coupled with a troop committment.  The cost (as compared to what we currently spend on overseas ventures) would be minimal.

I do repspect our immigrant traditions and realize how important continuing immigration is to our economy and society; however, illegal immigration is something that needs to be held firmly in check.  It is an issue that cannot be held back any longer.  It's time for an open and honest debate about it.

Other pressing issues that I find important are addressing the deficit and debt as well as bridging the gap between the scientific community and the socially religious.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 11:18:22 PM »
« Edited: November 28, 2005, 11:25:11 PM by J-Mann »

Welcome to the forum, J-Mann.  I am also a new member. 

My question for you is what are your views regarding free trade (specifically NAFTA and CAFTA)?

Thanks for the question, Yates, and welcome to the forum!

The CDP itself stands for free trade that promotes a fair, morally sound and beneficial foreign policy, but we must be very cautious that we protect the rights and jobs of workers here at home.

I'll address CAFTA specifically, as it is the big free trade issue on the table at the moment; while CAFTA does promote stronger international rules in areas that need addressed such as intellectual property, e-commerce and regulatory transparancy, I can't ignore the harm that would come to American workers as well as those abroad.

While CAFTA proponents tout the over $32 billion in two-way trade that the agreement would produce, American farmers would be put in direct competition with lower-wage Latin American workers who are in labor and environmental conditions that are illegal here at home.  They can produce more cheaply, which is good for the consumer, but bad for the American worker.  Even price benefits are likely to go to the wholeseller, not the consumer.  One needs only to reference the jobs eliminated by NAFTA to envision the damage that could be done by CAFTA.

The agricultural and manufacturing sectors have already been hard hit, and CAFTA would likely strain them to the breaking point.  While I don't normally believe "big business" to be the evil entity some economic liberals claim it to be, I view CAFTA as nothing more than exploitation of foreign workers.

CAFTA includes no provisions for higher wages or better working conditions for Latin Americans, effectively tearing down the argument that free trade will help foreign workers. 

Creating and keeping good jobs here at home is important to me.  A truly fair free trade policy would lift all parties involved up to the same or similar level, promoting a free exchange of different goods.  As it stands now, I feel that CAFTA is an exploitation of foreigners which does not promote a good foreign policy, and the suffering that it would cause here at home would be too much to handle.  Any free trade provision within the Western Hemisphere would need significant revision.

Addition: I will note that if arguments came along that were compelling enough in CAFTA's favor, I would be more than willing to hear them.  So far, I haven't read or heard any arguments that trump the negatives of the agreement, though.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 11:44:23 PM »

J-Mann is the-Mann!!! Grin
CO-OWL
OWL
Germany

Political Matrix
E: 0.00, S: 0.10

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2005, 11:03:49 AM »

My two questions:
Could you say something about your "green" streak?
And what's your position concerning the death penalty?

MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2005, 11:11:05 AM »

I have one, How would you vote on upcoming legislation in the Senate?
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2005, 11:34:58 AM »

My two questions:
Could you say something about your "green" streak?
And what's your position concerning the death penalty?

Sure, OWL; thanks for the questions.

Part of my green streak comes from my upbringing -- I grew up in a rural area surrounded by farmers and ranchers and came to respect the land both for its beauty and what it can provide for us.

But more than just respecting land use, I recognize that we live in one of the most geographically diverse and beautiful nations on earth; our national parks and national forests need continued respect and protection to keep them as great as they are today. Furthermore, I am in favor of expanding public land to create additional nature preserves and tourist areas which all citizens can enjoy.

I am skeptical of many green forms of energy, but there is hope in new technologies such as hydrogen fuel cells to replace our total dependence on oil. It is time for governments and energy companies to realize that our energy needs are changing; we all need to be proactive in looking for new ways to fuel our future.

Though I am certainly not a global warming alarmist (our planet, like any other, goes through cycles), we do need to take great care in how we treat our enviroment.  We are finally aware enough and technologically capable of easing environmental burdens on the world instead of increasing them, and we should take steps to do so.

I am in favor of the death penalty so long as it is necessary to ensure the protection of the public at large.  In almost all cases in this country, a dangerous criminal can be locked up for life so as to never pose a threat to anyone again; in many ways, I view a life sentence to be a much harsher penalty.  So long as our prisons are secure, the punishments are real and our justice system does not afford the most dangerous criminals any loopholes, we can effectively sentence one to death without actually applying the death penalty.
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2005, 11:45:20 AM »

What is your opinion on the Right to Life Amendment?
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2005, 03:33:29 PM »

Thanks for the question, MasterJedi.  I'm afraid this is where I show my ignorance in not knowing about all the legislation before the Senate, but I'll certainly give this question a shot later this evening when I've got a bit more time to put into it.  If there are any bills in particular you're curious about, I'd be happy to address those; otherwise, I will have a reply to this question posted by the end of the night.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2005, 04:17:03 PM »
« Edited: November 29, 2005, 04:19:04 PM by J-Mann »

Thanks for the question, CheezeWhiz; I am a "right-to-lifer" in almost all circumstances.  Let me first give a brief overview of my beliefs on matters of life.

I think abortion is a horrible practice with alternatives like adopotion that are much more preferrable.  It is also one of the only issues in which I think an individual's right to choose is trumped, this time by another individual's right to life -- that individual, a weeks-old fetus in most cases, does not have the ability to choose its path and deserves the protection of government.  I also realize that in a few cases, there are legitimate medical reasons for abortions -- the life of the mother being chief among them.  It's hard to place the importance of one life above another, but why risk both lives when abortion could provide the safest alternative?  I do not, however, think abortion is the answer in cases of rape or incest.

Euthanasia is a very difficult issue, especially in cases where the individual who is suffering is cognizant of his or her surroundings and is asking for relief.  Despite the controversy surrounding it, I stand against euthanasia; today we have the medical means necessary to keep an ailing person comfortable. While no extraordinary means at preservation need be taken for someone who doesn't wish it (or their family, should they not be able to make that decision), no one is truly qualified to decide whether someone lives or dies because of medical reasons.

My views on capital punishment were explained in an above post.  If it is necessary to protect society at large, then capital punishment is acceptable.  Our country has the means to protect society without employing the death penalty, and that should be the route we take.

Now to address the specific Right to Life Amendment:

I respect and appreciate the spirit in which the amendment was written.  However, for my support, the amendment would need a provision for abortions carried out in order to protect the life of the mother (and other medically necessary or recommended cases), and the penalties for abortion would be rescinded in such cases.

Also, although this is an amendment that will have to be ratified by each region, I do think that matters of life such as these would be better left to the individual jurisdictions of each region as opposed to a blanket federal law. That in and of itself is not a reason to oppose the amendment, but just a direction that I would rather see the legislation headed.

Although the amendment is certainly admirable in that it is aiming to protect all life, there are considerations that must be made before it is a fully acceptable piece of legislation; I can't vote for it based on spirit alone.
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2005, 04:54:18 PM »

Thank you for your answer.  I have an additional question.  How do you interpret the Constitution, specifically the first amendment?  (By this, I mean where do you support placing limits on free speech, etc.)
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2005, 06:19:43 PM »

Thank you for your answer.  I have an additional question.  How do you interpret the Constitution, specifically the first amendment?  (By this, I mean where do you support placing limits on free speech, etc.)

Interesting question, and one I may not be able to answer as fully as it deserves to be.  My general interpretation of the constitution could be labeled as broad constructionism, though I like Antonin Scalia's view on how the Constitution should be interpreted: "The text should be interpreted neither strictly nor sloppily, but reasonably."  That reasoning favors my broad interpretation of the First Amendment and what exactly constitutes free speech.

Of course, what constitutes free speech normally has to be taken on a case-by-case basis, but generally, I am very tolerant of "expression."  For example -- flag burning, as much as I may disagree with it, is a form of that expression which I see currently protected by the Constitution.  I have never seen a flag burning amendment which could adequately ban the practice, nor would I want to see one. 

The tendency for some to call for bans on a particular form of speech or expression or lifestyle is frightening to me; perhaps it would only be a matter of time before my own forms of speech and expression would fall out of favor with the mainstream.  I certainly wouldn't want my views oppressed simply because the majority didn't agree with them.  Freedom of speech, religion, expression and assembly are of the utmost importance to me; the First Amendment protects everyone whether I agree or disagree with them.

The Second Amendment is another that comes up often in discussions of Constitutional interpretation.  I definitely hold it in a constructionist/originalist view, and it should be left as-is to protect our rights to bear arms.

I generally favor states rights and like to see a Supreme Court that trends conservative; change is usually inevitable, but I prefer to see slow, thoughtful and managed change as opposed to radical reinterpretations of the law.
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2005, 08:26:26 PM »

Thank you.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2005, 10:32:58 PM »
« Edited: November 29, 2005, 10:42:17 PM by J-Mann »

Alright MasterJedi -- here's my best attempt at wrangling all the Senate bills together Smiley

Right to Life Amendment -- I really want to support it, but cannot until there is at least a medical provision added to the abortion section

Amendment to Allow a Secret Ballot -- Yes

Child Rights Amendment -- Probably not; may infringe on regional sovereignty, though I'd like to be involved in a full debate on this.

Federal Land Within the Southeast Bill -- Yes

Chainsaw Budget Savings Bill -- No; seems to cut way too many important programs.  It has since been chopped up into many different bills that I would want to look at individually, but as a whole, I'm opposed to it.  I'm normally not in favor of cutting defense or agriculture budgets.

Balanced Budget Amendment -- Doesn't look like it's going anywhere anyway; I generally favor attempts to balance budgets, but if it involves passage of the above legislation, then I would vote no.

Government Employee Pay Cut Bill -- Quite likely yes; the cuts are not too severe given the amount of money being made.

Sealand Declaration of War Bill -- This was just a joke, eh?

Myanmar Declaration of War Bill -- Again, I don't know enough about the situation at this time.

Electoral System Reform Bill -- Yes

The Colombia Bill -- Yes; seems like a very solid plan to me.

Constitutional Amendment of Judicial Terms -- More than likely yes; this seems like a fair system for Atlasia.

Gulf Coast Hurricane Damage Prevention Bill II -- I'd like to know more about this; normally I'd like to see the region take the initiative rather than the Army under the federal government, but given the scope and urgency of the situation, federal intervention may be necessary.

Atlasian Sovereignty Restoration Act -- Probably not; I'd have to be convinced of the necessity to withdraw from so many international institutions.

Protection Bill (Textiles, Clothing, Footwear & Steel) -- Yes

Designation of Forgotten Atlasians Holiday Bill -- Certainly Smiley

Atlasian Water Purity Act -- Yes

Species Act of 2005 -- More than likely yes; on the surface I don't have any problems with it.

Asbestos Ban -- Yes

Save the Fine Arts Bill -- Yes

Farm Subsidies Abolition Bill -- No

----------------

I think that just about covers the bills before the Senate right now; there may be some on there that have been resolved already, as well as some I might have missed.  Please let me know if you'd like any more specifics.

*EDIT* Let me note that these answers are based on my initial readings of each of the bills and the general feeling that I got from each one of them.  If I am elected and fully involved in the Senate, there would no doubt be more debate and discussion to back up -- and possibly change -- my proposed votes.
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2005, 11:51:45 PM »

Maybe a little random, but you'll hopefully see why I asked this later - what is your campaign slogan? Smiley
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2005, 11:53:29 PM »

Maybe a little random, but you'll hopefully see why I asked this later - what is your campaign slogan? Smiley
I suggest:

J-Mann
The-Mann for District 3. Grin
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2005, 12:45:55 AM »

I suggest:

J-Mann
The-Mann for District 3. Grin

Hehe, well -- hmmmm, there's no slogan as of right now.  Let me sleep on it; I may well come up with something.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2005, 11:51:48 AM »

I have a question:

How would you vote on the bill I introduced yesterday that would auction off the Tennessee Valley Authority?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2005, 05:30:29 PM »
« Edited: December 02, 2005, 05:32:18 PM by Frodo »

I am not in your district, but I hope you don't mind me asking you a question I feel could benefit the voters in your district:

What are your legislative priorities?  What particular legislation do you have plans on introducing within the first few weeks if you are elected and take office as District 3 Senator?
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2005, 08:38:37 PM »

I am not in your district, but I hope you don't mind me asking you a question I feel could benefit the voters in your district:

What are your legislative priorities?  What particular legislation do you have plans on introducing within the first few weeks if you are elected and take office as District 3 Senator?

Frodo -- with regards to your original question in this thread about farm subsides: the answer can be found in the District 3 Debate Thread.  I will answer your other questions shortly.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2005, 08:45:52 PM »

I have a question:

How would you vote on the bill I introduced yesterday that would auction off the Tennessee Valley Authority?

I like the bill; the TVA was no doubt a necessity at one time, but it is a relic in the government's hands which could thrive and prosper through private ownership.

As far as ownership goes, the less the government has, the better.  I'd naturally want to look at some pros and cons of the legislation, but it's very likely that I'd vote yes.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2005, 10:31:09 PM »

Frodo -- with regards to your original question in this thread about farm subsides: the answer can be found in the District 3 Debate Thread.

I know.  That's why I deleted my original question when I saw it had already been asked. 
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2005, 12:50:24 AM »

To start with, I'd like to jump right into our international agenda: the Columbia bill, Atlasian withdraw from the UN and the bill to go to war with Myanmar.  I have a feeling that the UN withdraw will spark much debate!

Personally, I have an interest in both border security and education.  I'd like to work with fellow Christian Democrats Al and Democratic 'Hawk' (should we all be elected) to craft legislation on border security.

In terms of education, I'm interested in promoting history and social science education; whether or not schools were to increase teaching these subjects, I'd like to leave to the individual regions to decide.  But the Senate can take the initiative in promoting it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies