HB 19-19: Let’s Support Our Friends Act (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 05, 2024, 12:48:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 19-19: Let’s Support Our Friends Act (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: HB 19-19: Let’s Support Our Friends Act (Failed)  (Read 991 times)
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 28, 2019, 02:01:57 AM »
« edited: August 10, 2019, 01:07:25 AM by Speaker YE »

LET’S SUPPORT OUR FRIENDS ACT

House Bill
to ensure we aren't risking our relationships with our allies
SECTION I. NAME
a. This bill shall be known as the Let’s Support Our Friends Act

SECTION II. DEFINITIONS
a. “Boycott” is hereby defined as refusing to deal with, terminating business activities with, or otherwise taking any action that is intended to penalize, inflict economic harm on, or limit commercial relations with Israel, but does not include an action taken for bona fide business or economic reasons or a boycott that is specifically required by federal or Regional law.

SECTION III. CONTRACTOR REQUIREMENTS
a. No federal department or agency may enter into a contract with a contractor unless the contract includes a representation by the contractor that the contractor is not currently engaged in, and will not for the duration of the contract engage in, the boycott of a person or an entity based in or doing business with Israel.
b. The government of Atlasia shall reserve the right to terminate any contract where a contractor falsely represented their participation in a boycott of Israel.
c. All future contract bids shall include these regulations in the bid solicitation.

SECTION IV: TIMING
a. This act shall take effect sixty (60) days from the passage of this law.

Sponsor: fhtagn
72 hours to debate.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 02:52:14 AM »

Bad idea. I'm no fan of BDS but people and organizations should have the right to freely associate with who they want, and the government should respect that.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 05:22:17 AM »

Bad idea. I'm no fan of BDS but people and organizations should have the right to freely associate with who they want, and the government should respect that.

Nothing prevents people and organizations from doing that if they wish to. However, if a company wants to be awarded a federal contract, or continue having a federal contract, they have a responsibility to ensure their practices align with the federal government and aren't boycotting one of our most important allies. If they cannot avoid a simple conflict of interest, they shouldn't be doing business with the government.
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 11:53:44 AM »

This bill is pure suppression of speech that is critical of BDS and of Israel in general. I hope to see this bill fail on those merits.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2019, 12:11:25 PM »

This bill is pure suppression of speech that is critical of BDS and of Israel in general. I hope to see this bill fail on those merits.

Most federal employees are at the very least restricted from voicing political opinions in the workplace or in any capacity related to their job. This just extends it to contractors.

Individuals who work for them are still allowed to express political opinions outside of work, which includes criticizing Israel. However, I have yet to see anyone provide a legitimate, convincing argument for why we should be allowing companies that engage in practices that don't align with our goals to be awarded federal contracts. Because the whole argument of "free speech" doesn't work when federal employees also have restrictions.

This also doesn't apply to all companies. This only applies to federal contractors. It puts us at an unnecessary risk allowing the federal government to award contracts to companies that are openly against one of our most important allies.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2019, 02:20:03 PM »

I opposed similar legislation in the South and will continue to oppose the conservative obsession with Israel.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2019, 03:48:39 PM »

I opposed similar legislation in the South and will continue to oppose the conservative obsession with Israel.
I support the federal government not engaging with companies that potentially harm relations with our allies, especially our most important ally in the region. I also oppose movements that are blatantly anti-Semitic, and anyone with a conscience should understand why our government shouldn't be endorsing the BDS movement and actively awarding contracts to companies that practice it.  Nothing about this prevents your average person, their businesses, or even larger companies from engaging in it, it simply holds federal contractors to the same standards we hold federal employees, which is how it should be.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2019, 10:35:35 PM »

Really don't support this in general except maybe military contracters? Even then it's still pretty strong against free speech issues.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2019, 11:09:07 PM »

Really don't support this in general except maybe military contracters? Even then it's still pretty strong against free speech issues.
Once again, this literally holds contractors to the same standard as most federal employees. Yet no one here is complaining about restricted speech in the workplace for them...
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2019, 08:54:25 AM »

Once again, this literally holds contractors to the same standard as most federal employees. Yet no one here is complaining about restricted speech in the workplace for them...

You say federal contractors cant have any political  speech. This is restrictive but atleast equal and doesnt judge based on the content of said speech. We should ban all federal contractor political speech if you want to be equal.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2019, 02:42:11 AM »

Most federal employees are at the very least restricted from voicing political opinions in the workplace or in any capacity related to their job. This just extends it to contractors.

Individuals who work for them are still allowed to express political opinions outside of work, which includes criticizing Israel. However, I have yet to see anyone provide a legitimate, convincing argument for why we should be allowing companies that engage in practices that don't align with our goals to be awarded federal contracts. Because the whole argument of "free speech" doesn't work when federal employees also have restrictions.

This also doesn't apply to all companies. This only applies to federal contractors. It puts us at an unnecessary risk allowing the federal government to award contracts to companies that are openly against one of our most important allies.
I don't support federal employees not being able to voice their opinions, first of all, and it's not a good idea to restrict it further by also applying it to contracted companies.
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2019, 09:29:00 AM »

This is a bad bill and I will be joining my colleagues in voting against it
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2019, 11:48:10 AM »

Anyone else want to specifically talk about this bill relating to nation defense contractors?

It might make some degree of sense there.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2019, 01:13:34 PM »

I don't support this bill.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2019, 03:35:51 PM »

Anyone else want to specifically talk about this bill relating to nation defense contractors?

Im mostly just amused at how the same people who think it violates the free speech rights of contractors for the government to refuse to contract with firms boycotting an ally were many of the same people arguing that its perfectly fine to refuse to contract with firms that didn't "affirm the importance of unions" or whatever that language was in the model employer bills.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2019, 08:49:45 PM »

Im mostly just amused at how the same people who think it violates the free speech rights of contractors for the government to refuse to contract with firms boycotting an ally were many of the same people arguing that its perfectly fine to refuse to contract with firms that didn't "affirm the importance of unions" or whatever that language was in the model employer bills.

Can Any labor representative  defend this?
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2019, 11:59:08 PM »

I oppose this.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2019, 05:54:48 PM »

Motion for a final vote.

Time to reject this and free up the slot
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2019, 11:31:16 PM »

Nay because I just want to see why labor believes it is against free speech but doesnt want to work with companies that are anti union.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2019, 04:46:45 PM »

Also opposing the final vote motion in case lfromnj's doesn't count.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2019, 10:56:35 PM »

A vote to start a final vote has started.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2019, 10:58:35 PM »

Aye

I don't see what, broadly speaking, labor unions has to do with free speech or the Isreali-Palestine conflict.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2019, 04:17:47 AM »

Nay
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2019, 04:20:25 AM »

I don't see what, broadly speaking, labor unions has to do with free speech or the Isreali-Palestine conflict.

JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2019, 11:00:51 AM »

AYE
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length