GOP path to 270 beyond Trump-era (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:15:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  GOP path to 270 beyond Trump-era (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: GOP path to 270 beyond Trump-era  (Read 12020 times)
TodayJunior
United States

« on: February 20, 2021, 12:14:30 AM »

There isn't a path forward for them until a full generation has passed that has forgotten about DJT. It's just that simple and bad for them. They own it.
TodayJunior
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 02:15:55 PM »
« Edited: February 20, 2021, 02:26:50 PM by TodayJunior »

There isn't a path forward for them until a full generation has passed that has forgotten about DJT. It's just that simple and bad for them. They own it.

Why are you acting like you won a 1980 style win in 2020 when instead you guys won the tipping point state by less than Trump did in 2016

Sorry, perhaps I don’t understand what you mean by tipping point. I’m also not a Democrat. I’m a “NPA” (no party affiliation) as they call it here in Florida. I look at it from the standpoint of how both parties can build winning coalitions. Judging by the fact a stale wet fart like Biden can have 81 million votes and a 98% in party approval, just imagine what a stronger democrat could do.

By that similar notion, trump got 74 million; it’s hard to see how they add or surpass a net 7 million when their voter base is older, whiter, and shrinking in almost all American suburbs. People who vote once/first time voters are likely to vote again as it’s becoming more of a cultural norm. I doubt either party falls below 70 million going forward.

The other problem the GOP has is the fractured nature of their own coalition. I read an article from The Hill explaining how at least 1/3 would bolt the party if trump started a new party. His influence isn’t shrinking, it’s expanding. Sorry can’t post the link since I still haven’t reached 20 minimum posts.
TodayJunior
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021, 06:14:25 PM »
« Edited: February 20, 2021, 06:20:59 PM by TodayJunior »

Why are you acting like you won a 1980 style win in 2020 when instead you guys won the tipping point state by less than Trump did in 2016

Sorry, perhaps I don’t understand what you mean by tipping point. I’m also not a Democrat. I’m a “NPA” (no party affiliation) as they call it here in Florida. I look at it from the standpoint of how both parties can build winning coalitions. Judging by the fact a stale wet fart like Biden can have 81 million votes and a 98% in party approval, just imagine what a stronger democrat could do.

By that similar notion, trump got 74 million; it’s hard to see how they add or surpass a net 7 million when their voter base is older, whiter, and shrinking in almost all American suburbs. People who vote once/first time voters are likely to vote again as it’s becoming more of a cultural norm. I doubt either party falls below 70 million going forward.

The other problem the GOP has is the fractured nature of their own coalition. I read an article from The Hill explaining how at least 1/3 would bolt the party if trump started a new party. His influence isn’t shrinking, it’s expanding. Sorry can’t post the link since I still haven’t reached 20 minimum posts.

The popular vote does not determine elections and also in this election , Trump made considerable inroads  with minority voters

Sure, if you use 2008, 2012, 2016 as benchmarks. But the last time the GOP did significantly better among ALL demographics was W in 2004, and they also happened to win nationally as well. Winning the national popular vote may not be how elections are ultimately decided, but only 5 in our history have not turned out that way, so it’s not likely to happen very often, and it’s a foolish gamble really to count on the electoral college to save you. If I were a republican (and I have voted that way some of the time), I’d want to broaden as much as possible winning coalition rather than wait for a lucky break or wait for Dems to nominate a hated candidate (Hillary Clinton).

The GOP needs to have a much broader reach. It seems every cycle there are more safe Democrat states than Republican ones, and the ones trending Democrat are growing and vice versa with few exceptions.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies