Do you think Idaho will be swing in 2040s
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:27:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Do you think Idaho will be swing in 2040s
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Do you think Idaho will be swing in 2040s  (Read 603 times)
Proud Houstonian
Proud Houstianan
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 07, 2021, 10:39:42 AM »

Do you think Idaho will be swing in 2040s seeing Idahos rapid growth it can be swing in 2040s do you agree
EastwoodS

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 10:43:00 AM »

Will be swing?
I think I know what you’re trying to say and it’s possible, depends on Boise.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 06:01:11 AM »

Will be swing?
I think I know what you’re trying to say and it’s possible, depends on Boise.

Fully agree. It's not out of the question. The rurals in Idaho swung right, heavily so in the East, but I attribute that to the lack of Evan McMullin and a declining third party vote more generally.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 10:15:24 AM »

I don't know, with the way this forum talks will this be the map by 2040:

"because [insert Dem-trending county here] is growing and will make the state blue"
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2021, 10:50:23 AM »

Idaho is really interesting. On paper it should be moving left at near Georgia-speed - and maybe it is - but it's just so R that it doesn't really affect anything right now, and it's not 100% clear that it will in the future either.

However, 2018 had something really interesting happen. The Republican incumbent Superintendent of Public Instruction Sheri Ybarra won by just 5566 votes, 1.3%. So we actually have a map of roughly what a Democratic victory in Idaho would look like under current coalitions (which of course would require a Roy Moore scenario, but 2018 shows that clearly it's possible), and it's interesting:

- Huge D overperformance in cities - Ada and Bannock both voted Wilson +19 (before voting for Trump in 2020)
- Eastern rural margin-cut. This is really impressive. Franklin is possibly the most Mormon county in the country. In 2020, Biden got 10% of the vote in this county. Cindy Wilson in 2018 got 44%.

So the future Idaho D coalition, if there is ever to be one, seems to involve a realignment of Mormons, both urban and rural, to the Democratic Party, and quite a spectacular one at that. That plus population density trends seems to be just enough.*

*Democrats will have to figure out how to break in to small cities. Bannock (Pocatello) routinely votes D in statewide races and is represented by Democrats in the legislature, but Trump still won it big. This is also crucial for future victories in Kansas (get Salina and Hays looking like Iowa towns on that NYT map).
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2021, 11:53:28 AM »

"because [insert Dem-trending county here] is growing and will make the state blue"

I simultaneously agree with your post and "because [insert Dem-trending county here] is growing and will make the state blue".
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2021, 12:00:37 PM »

Likely no.  IMO this would have required persistent Mormon 3rd party activity post-2016. 
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2021, 12:06:35 PM »

No, but Western Dems vs. Eastern GOP (except a for handful of Dem megacities) is not a crazy outcome

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies