Last time each state was declared as "Too Close to Call" at poll closing (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:37:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Last time each state was declared as "Too Close to Call" at poll closing (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Last time each state was declared as "Too Close to Call" at poll closing  (Read 2007 times)
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: July 18, 2019, 04:05:39 PM »

How in the f-ck was Utah too close to call for reporters in 2016? I mean, sure McMullin and what not, but Trump still won it by nearly 20 points. I mean the others I can understand sort of, but Utah is wtf to the maximum

I understand Utah because they base a lot of their calls on past election information and GOP numbers were 20-30% lower across the state than in past races. I can't fathom Alabama 2008 though.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 05:05:58 PM »

It also shows you how skittish the networks have become since 1980 (and definitely since 2000).   To call Missouri TCTC in 2016 was ridiculous.

I remember in 1980 how NBC was calling state after state for Reagan once the polls closed, for which they were criticized.  And they were right in every instance (even in the Deep South states like Alabama, Mississippi, and South Carolina where Reagan barely won).  The only race of significance I think the networks called wrong that year was Mack Mattingly's upset of Herman Talmadge for the GA Senate seat.

The immediate projection of Clinton winning GA & NH in 1992 was so pathetic I wish he would have lost them just to embarrass whoever was making those ridiculous calls.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies