Federal asylum law to change; requiring asylum-seekers to first try elsewhere
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:36:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Federal asylum law to change; requiring asylum-seekers to first try elsewhere
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Federal asylum law to change; requiring asylum-seekers to first try elsewhere  (Read 765 times)
Pandaguineapig
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2019, 10:36:15 PM »

This will be shot down in court simply because the US does not have a Safe Third Country Agreement with Mexico. The US only has such a law with Canada. Without that agreement with Mexico, US law does not recognize Mexico as a safe third country and, therefore, migrants cannot be rejected for asylum in the US on the basis that they should've applied for asylum in Mexico instead. That's simply not permissible under existing American asylum laws.

Link to source

It should be shot down, but there will be a lot of suffering in the meantime, and I don't have faith in the Supreme Court to uphold the actual law, and it will work its way there.
I know, it must be so hard that the U.S now had the same asylum law as every other country on Earth. I know you wanted the border to remain a breeding ground for human trafficking and the migrants a stump from which Democrats could offer fake tears, but you'll have to make do
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2019, 11:02:51 PM »

This will be shot down in court simply because the US does not have a Safe Third Country Agreement with Mexico. The US only has such a law with Canada. Without that agreement with Mexico, US law does not recognize Mexico as a safe third country and, therefore, migrants cannot be rejected for asylum in the US on the basis that they should've applied for asylum in Mexico instead. That's simply not permissible under existing American asylum laws.

Link to source

It should be shot down, but there will be a lot of suffering in the meantime, and I don't have faith in the Supreme Court to uphold the actual law, and it will work its way there.

How is there any suffering? All we are saying is just don't claim asylum as you pass through other safe zones just to get into a 1st world country.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2019, 12:06:31 AM »

Link to source

I know, it must be so hard that the U.S now had the same asylum law as every other country on Earth. I know you wanted the border to remain a breeding ground for human trafficking and the migrants a stump from which Democrats could offer fake tears, but you'll have to make do

If only we had the same healthcare, education, and human rights standards as those same countries. But of course we only opt to adopt the harmful laws of other countries, not the legitimately helpful ones.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies