**BREAKING** NCV HAS PASSED
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:42:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  **BREAKING** NCV HAS PASSED
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: **BREAKING** NCV HAS PASSED  (Read 7449 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2005, 06:42:54 AM »

Oklahama banned it earlier this year (or was it late last year?) IIRC. I think it's still legal if the cocks were little boxing gloves.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2005, 07:03:32 AM »

Oklahama banned it earlier this year (or was it late last year?) IIRC. I think it's still legal if the cocks were little boxing gloves.
Which is one of the traditional fighting methods ... and the cruellest one (fights take much longer, and are more likely to end in both cocks' death if they're evenly matched...)
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2005, 02:55:06 PM »

Interesting. Speaking animals, there will be an animal rights party running in this election. And no, it's not PETA

Glad I could be of service. Kiki

Hmm...
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2005, 03:01:50 PM »

Uh, WMS, an anti-cockfighting measure is not a measure against cruelty to animals.
An anti-battery farming of poultry measure is (Fighting cocks have much the longer and nicer lives ... even if they get killed on their first fight).

Btw - Oklahoma has outlawed it then? Or (gasp) Louisiana? Since my information (dated, 1998 IIRC) NM, OK, LA were the only states where cockfighting was legal, after it had been recently banned in MO and AZ (that geographical distribution sort of makes you wonder what happened to Texas and Arkansas Grin )

Hmm? That's certainly why I oppose it, and is the primary reason cited in the push for the ban here by its supporters (from all over the spectrum here). Now, as for conditions of poultry on some farms (especially the huge factory farms)...yeah, that's a problem. I take it battery farming is where they're kept in cages only as big as they are?

And yeah, like Al said, it was Oklahoma that banned it, by state referendum. NM doesn't really have those, although votes on State Constitutional Amendments serve much the same purpose...except that only the Legislature can put those up for a vote, not the citizens. And as I said before, the Lege kills the bills in commitee, since they know very well this thing would pass by a huge margin in a state vote.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies