Does the Democratic Party feud show that identity politics is destructive?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:07:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Does the Democratic Party feud show that identity politics is destructive?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Does the Democratic Party feud show that identity politics is destructive?  (Read 2110 times)
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2019, 09:36:03 PM »

This isn't about identity politics, it's about foreign-backed militants seeking to bend a party to the will of a small minority of its base like they did in the UK.
Can you elaborate? I'm interested and intrigued by your post.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2019, 04:55:23 PM »
« Edited: July 15, 2019, 05:04:02 PM by Tartarus Sauce »

And as an addendum to my previous comment, the thing that OP’s question completely misses the point on is that the current feuding within the Democratic Party has little to do with identity politics. It’s internal tension between the progressive wing complaining about the party establishment being too business friendly and the party establishment getting annoyed at the progressive insurgents for being rowdy and uncooperative.

I mean sure, they’ll smack each other over identity issues in the primary, but nobody is going to threaten to stay home because of that come Election Day or switch to voting for Trump. The people with the greatest probability of being alienated by the current party conflict would be anti-establishment progressives who might get upset that the nominee is somebody they consider too corporatist. Not because somebody was “too woke” or not woke enough. Anybody getting triggered by the identity politics of the Democrats has already either left the party or was never a Democrat to begin with. It’s not going to cause any major fissures among current Democratic voters.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2019, 05:12:55 PM »

And as an addendum to my previous comment, the thing that OP’s question completely misses the point on is that the current feuding within the Democratic Party has little to do with identity politics. It’s internal tension between the progressive wing complaining about the party establishment being too business friendly and the party establishment getting annoyed at the progressive insurgents for being rowdy and uncooperative.

I mean sure, they’ll smack each other over identity issues in the primary, but nobody is going to threaten to stay home because of that come Election Day or switch to voting for Trump. The people with the greatest probability of being alienated by the current party conflict would be anti-establishment progressives who might get upset that the nominee is somebody they consider too corporatist. Not because somebody was “too woke” or not woke enough. Anybody getting triggered by the identity politics of the Democrats has already either left the party or was never a Democrat to begin with. It’s not going to cause any major fissures among current Democratic voters.

AOC’s chief of staff all but called Sharice Davids racist, the “Squad” hinted that Pelosi is racist, and the official Twitter account of the Democratic party told him to shut up. But there is no feuding in the Democratic party, and it has nothing to do with identity politics.

There are these places called swing districts where people called swing voters vote on many things, including identity politics. Democrats would not hold the House without these districts.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2019, 05:26:50 PM »

AOC’s chief of staff all but called Sharice Davids racist, the “Squad” hinted that Pelosi is racist, and the official Twitter account of the Democratic party told him to shut up. But there is no feuding in the Democratic party, and it has nothing to do with identity politics.

There are these places called swing districts where people called swing voters vote on many things, including identity politics. Democrats would not hold the House without these districts.

Most Democrats don’t care about those types of dumb feuds that happen over Twitter. I didn’t even know this was what the feud was over and I doubt many other Democrats do either, but the progressive vs. establishment feud is far more salient for your average party voter. 

Pretty much all of the problematic bomb throwers live in safe D districts. Am I supposed to believe that the voters in David’s district are going to punish her for being insulted by AOC’s chief of staff over identity politics? Nobody cares about that kind of garbage other than always online activists.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2019, 07:16:48 PM »

I think Trump's recent bigoted, racist, xenophobic comments may have helped quell this notion. The Democratic party can now, once again, unite against the sort of identity politics that Trump practices.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2019, 12:27:17 AM »

Oh shut up bronze
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2019, 07:47:05 AM »

No. The GOP are practitioners of destructive, hateful white identity politics, and that's destructive not because of the nature of identity politics more generally, but because they're bigoted eliminationists.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies