Amy McGrath = Lundergan Grimes 2.0 ??
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:40:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Amy McGrath = Lundergan Grimes 2.0 ??
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 66

Author Topic: Amy McGrath = Lundergan Grimes 2.0 ??  (Read 6809 times)
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2019, 07:46:36 AM »

ALG lost by as much as she did because she's an idiot.  She refused to say who she voted for in 2012, and said she was a Hillary Clinton Democrat (which, in retrospect, was probably worse than saying "I voted for Obama!".) 

A Democrat can win in Kentucky if (A) they reject the social liberalism that has become something of a litmus test for Democrats, and (B) endorse the ECONOMIC agenda of the New Deal and the Fair Deal.  This would require an intense "retail politics" approach where a candidate made scads of personal appearances, discussed their agenda, attempted to educate people, and did the hard work of convincing Kentuckians that they are actually right on issues.

ALG was unwilling to do that.  She was trying to pretend she was something she was not and that generally falls apart before Election Day. 
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2019, 03:25:43 PM »

ALG lost by as much as she did because she's an idiot.  She refused to say who she voted for in 2012, and said she was a Hillary Clinton Democrat (which, in retrospect, was probably worse than saying "I voted for Obama!".) 

A Democrat can win in Kentucky if (A) they reject the social liberalism that has become something of a litmus test for Democrats, and (B) endorse the ECONOMIC agenda of the New Deal and the Fair Deal.  This would require an intense "retail politics" approach where a candidate made scads of personal appearances, discussed their agenda, attempted to educate people, and did the hard work of convincing Kentuckians that they are actually right on issues.

ALG was unwilling to do that.  She was trying to pretend she was something she was not and that generally falls apart before Election Day. 

She could have ran as the most socially conservative populisty populist that ever populisted a pop of list and still lost by double digits. Because she was running in Kentucky. In 2014.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2019, 04:07:12 PM »

I rather donate to Barry Grissom, which I have and will continue to do so until election day. We can flip senate with KS, CO, NM, AZ and NC.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2019, 05:27:08 PM »

She’ll do even worse, most likely.
chibul
Rookie
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2020, 05:07:08 AM »

I voted no only because I think she's even worse than Grimes. I think she's going to do far worse than Grimes did. I know the hash tag BlueMAGA is popular with rose twitter but Grimes really is BlueMAGA. She was campaigning as a Pro Trump Democrat. Not sure what she's doing now but a Pro Trump Democrat will depress turnout in Louisville and Lexington and in red state democrats are not going to fall for this.

She lost a winnable house race in 2018!
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2020, 06:53:26 AM »

No McGrath isnt Grimes, Hegar is. I hear that Dems are putting money into KY, SC and AK and IA with Franken and forgoing TX
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2020, 10:09:40 AM »

She'll do worse. ALG lost by 15.5 points, I expect McGrath to lose by close to 20.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2020, 11:42:31 AM »

She'll do worse. ALG lost by 15.5 points, I expect McGrath to lose by close to 20.

Yeah okay, in a 278 map yeah of course, but in a wave map, McGrath can win and Bidenvhas shown he can win  in a wave. The bump Trump has is temporary, if he gets the economy roaring again, it will go back to the issues and corruption.  Just because Trump fixes the economy doesnt automatically mean he is gonna win
chibul
Rookie
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2020, 01:27:55 PM »

People on here talk about what a band candidate that Grimes was. There are worse candidates and one of them is Grimes.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2020, 04:44:01 PM »
« Edited: March 30, 2020, 08:29:43 PM by brucejoel99 »

Unfortunately, if Alison Lundergan Grimes didn't beat him, then there's no way Amy McGrath will. 49% of the vote for a congressional seat in a semi-metropolitan district is one thing, but getting an entire red state to vote for you isn't gonna happen, especially when your campaign is just so... uninspiring.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2020, 05:53:51 PM »

Indeed. It's funny her performance was pilloried at the time, but in retrospect it actually wasn't too bad keeping KENTUCKY of all places within 14 points in a red wave year.

Agreed

And what makes this thread most ironic, is there was no place she was more heavenly pilloried than Atlas.

Let's face it. McGrath's Mission this year is to give McConnell just enough concern that he uses his unparalleled influence to divert as much money as possible from the nrsc War chest to spend in Kentucky rather than Arizona, North Carolina, or Maine.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2020, 07:17:44 PM »

DAINES is definitely in trouble, but no one is Grimes, she said she didnt vote for Obama while he was Prez. Biden is up 10 points, unless you are Hegar in TX we have excellent candidates in all Senate battlegrounds. 2014, Dems were defending unpopular incumbents like Pryor and Walsh and Landrieu

If Franken defeats Greenfield in primary,  Ernst will lose, due to fact Greenfield is like Hegar
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2020, 07:45:05 PM »

McGrath will do even worse than Grimes did in all likelyhood.

Honestly, Grimes should have lied about who she voted for in 2012 and said Romney. Democratic enthusiasm would have been high regardless because she was up against McConnell, and it would have given her a lot more crossover support, potentially even enough to win.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2020, 12:09:25 AM »

Indeed. It's funny her performance was pilloried at the time, but in retrospect it actually wasn't too bad keeping KENTUCKY of all places within 14 points in a red wave year.

Agreed

And what makes this thread most ironic, is there was no place she was more heavenly pilloried than Atlas.

Let's face it. McGrath's Mission this year is to give McConnell just enough concern that he uses his unparalleled influence to divert as much money as possible from the nrsc War chest to spend in Kentucky rather than Arizona, North Carolina, or Maine.

If she actually runs a good campaign, she'll sucker a lot of Resistance donors into donating to her and that's less money for people like Gideon and Kelly. So it's hard to tell who really gets a boost if this race appears for a bit not to be Safe R.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2020, 01:50:43 AM »

As I stated before,  in a wave, Dems have excellent candidates in every state race but IA and TX, Greenfield and Hegar arent raising money. I have donated to every candidate but these two and will continue to do so.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2020, 05:22:52 AM »

The funny thing about winning in red states is I remember all the posters who were convinced that Doug Jones was not going to win (including after the allegations) because he was pro-choice.

Granted I've never worked on a state side election but campaigns really aren't that easy.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2020, 05:31:42 AM »

Besides we know how democrats win in deep red states; you get elected to a state wide position, wait for an economic downturn or a wave year and you run against a deeply unpopular incumbent.

As my post above shows I think there's an incorrect binary between some people who think you need to run as an extremely conservative Democrat who spends the whole race looking for that sister souljah moment (a stupid concept in itself) and others who think that you need to run as purely as an economic progressive railing against the elite.

The first argument forgets that even in states like Kentucky you still need to turn out the democratic base (the reason why Doug Jones won in 2017) and the second argument forgets that moderately more conservative senators do have a history of winning voters that others wouldn't.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies