GOP Mississippi gubernatorial candidate refuses to be alone with female reporter
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 02:24:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  GOP Mississippi gubernatorial candidate refuses to be alone with female reporter
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: Is it fair for male politicians to deliberately avoid being alone with female reporters/staffers?
Yes, sadly this is a necessity in the #MeToo era

Yes, to maintain a sense of propriety

Generally yes, but in this case it was handled poorly

Generally no, but in this case it was fair

No, this is discrimination

Regardless, women shouldn't be allowed to work

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 89

Author Topic: GOP Mississippi gubernatorial candidate refuses to be alone with female reporter  (Read 4138 times)
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2019, 11:15:27 AM »

"In this #MeToo era"

3 examples listed from long before the #MeToo era, one from as far back at the mid-1970s (!), and none of which involved a politician

Are there false accusations in this, the #MeToo era?

That's a "yes" or a "no".

What's next, refusal to be alone with a black person because they might murder him?

Plenty of people have been doing that already for many decades from embedded racism.  #MeToo has had a side-effect of something quite different: men protecting themselves by "being better" and avoiding close confrontations with women as to have plausible deniability from any false accusations.

It is easier just to avoid any compromising situation in the chance one of these women is out to take you down with a false accusation, where the court of public opinion would immediately find you guilty and your career ruined.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2019, 11:28:14 AM »

If Willie Brown followed the Mike Pence rule nobody would have heard of Kamala Harris
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2019, 11:59:58 AM »

Amazes me how people are upset with this. Men need to protect themselves with this. Especially black men who get the worst treatment from society and the justice system when accused of rape. It's honestly disgusting we dont address false accusations enough
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2019, 12:05:19 PM »

This is sexist and discriminatory. She should sue.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2019, 03:00:52 PM »

People making "he can't control himself" comments are being deliberately dense. The issue isn't that he's worried he's going to get uncontrollably horny, it's that someone's going to make sh**t up about him. If you're a controversial public figure where there's a motive for someone to want to smear you it makes sense to be cautious about meeting alone with women you don't know. Especially since the mainstream norm these days is to automatically treat every allegation by a woman against a man as 100% true before any evidence is available. Even in cases where the allegations are outright proven false (Duke Lacrosse) or dubious (Woody Allen) certain people are going to mindlessly say you just love rape if you don't treat them as 100% true. If the left/feminists don't like this state of affairs then they should approach allegations fairly and not form strong opinions unless there is strong evidence.

This isn't a political thing, I think the allegations against Trump/Kanaugh/Roy Moore are probably true based on the weight of evidence. I wouldn't really blame it on metoo either since it's been going on before then. In fact a lot of metoo seems to be about strength in numbers, i.e dozens of people accused Weinstein so we know it's highly unlikely they are all lying, so I don't think it's made things any worse in this regard. This attitude has been prevalent since the 90's or so.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2019, 03:09:39 PM »
« Edited: July 12, 2019, 09:22:20 PM by Lfromnj stands with Sanchez. »

How tf is being afraid of being called a rapist falsely a case of GOP hypocrisy on family values? It may not be right to be afraid here but there really isn't any hypocrisy. Stop saying family values everytime a GOP politician comes up in the news.

PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2019, 03:11:58 PM »

I mean, I guess if he can't trust himself, it's a good idea to have other people around.
kyc0705

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2019, 03:15:13 PM »

If you're a man who thinks that any woman you meet is going to falsely accuse you of sexual misconduct, let me submit that there might be substantial underlying problems with how you think about women in general.
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2019, 04:18:39 PM »

Refusing to have any 1-on-1 professional interaction with women, in fear that they will make career-ending sexual assault allegations, is a pretty unsustainable way to live. Honestly, I wouldn’t want my governor to be unable to have a private conversation with a female legislative leader, businessperson, etc.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2019, 07:03:56 PM »

Amazes me how people are upset with this. Men need to protect themselves with this. Especially black men who get the worst treatment from society and the justice system when accused of rape. It's honestly disgusting we dont address false accusations enough

You know what's a whole lot more common than women falsely accusing men of rape? Men raping women and black people committing murder. Yet if a candidate refused to be interviewed by a male journalist because he might rape her, or a black journalist because he might murder him, we would all agree that was over the line.

This wasn't some random floozy with a sketchy record. It was a well-established, professional journalist. The idea that she can't be trusted not to make up a false rape accusation is insulting and deplorable.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2019, 07:31:27 PM »

No one should have to do this.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2019, 07:33:11 PM »

Well good thing nobody does have to do this then.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2019, 08:05:49 PM »

By the way, this clown is now hocking these shirts on Twitter, in case anyone left thought he was just totally sincere and not looking to exploit this.

Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2019, 09:23:44 PM »

Men have been refusing to mentor female colleagues pretty much as long as women have been in the workforce, so this sounds like a lame excuse for continued old-boys-favoritism more than anything else.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2019, 03:36:55 AM »

In #MeToo era, when you may get an accusation of "sexual harrasment"for almost any word said (and even more - for any deed) - i can undertand candidate's precaution...
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2019, 11:29:27 AM »

In #MeToo era, when you may get an accusation of "sexual harrasment"for almost any word said (and even more - for any deed) - i can undertand candidate's precaution...

What proof do you offer that there's some epidemic of false allegations of sexual assault and harassment?

The problem comes down to this. Since the percentage of people falsely claiming sexual assault or harassment is very low (no higher than with other crimes), then there are two solutions if you believe that the "#MeToo Era" is a threat. Victims (overwhelmingly women, but also some men) can shut up about their experiences and stop ruining/inconveniencing the lives of their abusers, or the perpetrators and potential perpetrators can change their predatory and abusive behavior (otherwise risk being publicly shamed and face legal repercussions).

Now, the question is, which do you want to have happen? Should victims simply shut their mouths and just deal with rape, intimidation, harassment, and other predatory behavior, or should the (disproportionately male) people who engage in this behavior be forced to behave and think differently? Because the issue here is that, yes, this is a major problem in American culture and these problems, despite #MeToo, are still extraordinarily under-reported and under-investigated and under-punished.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2019, 11:52:51 AM »

Now, the question is, which do you want to have happen? Should victims simply shut their mouths and just deal with rape, intimidation, harassment, and other predatory behavior, or should the (disproportionately male) people who engage in this behavior be forced to behave and think differently? Because the issue here is that, yes, this is a major problem in American culture and these problems, despite #MeToo, are still extraordinarily under-reported and under-investigated and under-punished.

If these are criminal accusations, law enforcement should be investigating.  Dispassionately, without prejudice, seeking an outcome that is in the interest of justice and public safety.  This, of course, becomes harder to achieve when the Paparazzi, social media, and the 24/7 national media get involve. 

I would note that "rape, intimidation, harassment, and other predatory behavior" are hardly equivilent behaviors.  Rape and intimidation of witnesses  are criminal offenses that deserve immediate reporting and immediate investigation by law enforcement, with the desired result being a proper conviction that will punish the perpetrator and dissuade others from these behaviors.

"Harassment" and "other predatory behavior" are terms that beg specific definition.  If by "harassment", you mean stalking a victim with a pattern of annoying behaviors, that is a specific criminal offense (and a felony, under some circumstances) that can be dealt with.  Harassment in a work environment is a defined civil matter, with defined processes and penalties.

Then, there is the world of he said-she said allegations.  This is where reputations are unfairly damaged and ruined.

In my personal life, I am very, very careful as to my interactions with female co-workers and clientele.  Aside from being happily married, I do not want anything to be misinterpreted that I say or do.  I believe that if I were ever accused of something, however unproven the allegation would be, my reputation in some quarters would be forever damaged, regardless of the outcome of any "investigation".  If someone went online, the end result for myself, personally, could be bad any number of ways.  I could sue for defamation, but what would that take, and what would that yield? 

So I can't blame this guy for wanting to not be in this situation when he does not have to be.  And there is no reason for him to allow anyone in his truck he doesn't want there.  It's not like he's banning her from his press conference (which, from what Harry says, might be as lonely as his truck).
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2019, 12:00:38 PM »
« Edited: July 13, 2019, 12:12:27 PM by GP270watch »

Men like Jeffrey Epstein, Harvey Weinstein, Larry Nassar got away with raping and assaulting women and girls for years and years. The #metoo movement was needed. In all these cases the authorities failed the victims. Can't blame women and girls for going on social media and literally screaming and pleading for justice when the system in place did nothing for them until they made an uproar with the help of journalists who refused to let these guys get away with it.

If you can not be in room with a woman alone who is a professional trying to do her job you have no business being a public official.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2019, 12:02:45 PM »
« Edited: July 13, 2019, 12:09:03 PM by Santander »

There is a difference between (largely irrational) worrying about potential negative consequences of well-intentioned professional interactions in an unequal power relationship in the same organization, and not meeting with a reporter as a candidate for public office because she happens to be a woman. The latter is stupid enough to be disqualifying on its own for public office.

And remember, basically all of these assholes who have been busted for sexual harassment in the #metoo era have had accusations laid at them by multiple unrelated women. It is one thing to think one crazy/vindictive woman could make false allegations against you, but if you fear that would cause some some sort of career-ending chain reaction, you either have no respect for women, or you have legitimate skeletons in the closet.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2019, 12:46:06 PM »

What proof do you offer that there's some epidemic of false allegations of sexual assault and harassment?

Statistical one. An avalanche of such scandals in 2017-2018. In fact there was very little "sexual" and almost no "harrassment" in most of such cases, but many men are simply frightened now, when almost any word or joke may be interpreted this way with far-reaching political and other consequences. Thanks God it's not so widespread in Russia, where i live now.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2019, 01:05:03 PM »

Statistical one. An avalanche of such scandals in 2017-2018. In fact there was very little "sexual" and almost no "harrassment" in most of such cases, but many men are simply frightened now, when almost any word or joke may be interpreted this way with far-reaching political and other consequences. Thanks God it's not so widespread in Russia, where i live now.

How in the world are you under this impression?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2019, 01:05:30 PM »

How in the world are you under this impression?

Because he is a self-admitted sexual harasser.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2019, 01:06:14 PM »

There is a difference between (largely irrational) worrying about potential negative consequences of well-intentioned professional interactions in an unequal power relationship in the same organization, and not meeting with a reporter as a candidate for public office because she happens to be a woman. The latter is stupid enough to be disqualifying on its own for public office.

And remember, basically all of these assholes who have been busted for sexual harassment in the #metoo era have had accusations laid at them by multiple unrelated women. It is one thing to think one crazy/vindictive woman could make false allegations against you, but if you fear that would cause some some sort of career-ending chain reaction, you either have no respect for women, or you have legitimate skeletons in the closet.

Ahem

https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/05/23/michigan-state-keith-mumphery-lawsuit-sex-assault-claims

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Brian-Banks-Rape-Case-Exonerated-NFL-Atlanta-Falcons-218978851.html

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/mans-life-destroyed-following-classmates-false-rape-allegation/news-story/05ba6eeffae4791c3b99993634afa226

Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2019, 01:13:36 PM »

Men like Jeffrey Epstein, Harvey Weinstein, Larry Nassar got away with raping and assaulting women and girls for years and years. The #metoo movement was needed. In all these cases the authorities failed the victims. Can't blame women and girls for going on social media and literally screaming and pleading for justice when the system in place did nothing for them until they made an uproar with the help of journalists who refused to let these guys get away with it.

If you can not be in room with a woman alone who is a professional trying to do her job you have no business being a public official.

But many of these allegations were not made until years after the acts.

I do not believe that a person has a valid claim to say "the system failed me" when you did not report the issue in the first place.  I'm not blowing off the horrible situation victims and their families are in, but the Scottsboro Boys happened.  Gary Dotson happened.  There are folks being freed from prisons thanks to DNA evidence that happened.

The Scottsboro Boys are an extreme example of how removing the presumption of innocence and denying a person a jury of their peers results in the gravest injustice.  It would be far better for Harvey Weinstein, Bill Cosby, etc to have never spent a day in jail if doing so would have undid all the suffering of the Scottsboro Boys and Gary Dotson.  It is better that the guilty go free than it is for the innocent to be punished, if we cannot have perfect justice.  My concern about the #MeToo movement is that the reaction to it presents a threat to the principle of the presumption of innocence of all criminal defendants, and a thread to the "Reasonable Doubt" standard.    
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2019, 01:13:40 PM »

... and the "one crazy/vindictive woman" in each of those cases was found out and either forced to cough up damages or sent to prison. Have I not said there is some room for understandable concern, given the increased media coverage of such events?

Also, they have no similarities to the situation at hand here. I don't see what point you're trying to make.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies