"God Bless America" to be added to Alabama license plates
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2024, 07:26:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  "God Bless America" to be added to Alabama license plates
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
Poll
Question: Would you support this bill?  (Please read article first)
Yes
No
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: "God Bless America" to be added to Alabama license plates  (Read 19876 times)
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: July 06, 2006, 01:54:17 PM »

Let's just look at the constitution.  Does putting God Bless America establish a state religion?
The relevant clause is not the establishment clause, but the free speech clause. The government may not compel individuals to carry a religious slogan on their cars, just as it may not compel them to carry a political or ideological slogan. Even secular slogans would be impermissible.
I wouldn't call "God Bless America" a religious slogan (and it certainly doesn't fit as a ideological or political slogan).  It's religious use has been so diluted by wide use by people of all faiths (or no faith) that it's simply a patriotic message, no more religious than "Support our County" or "United we Stand" or something along the likes of those.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #126 on: July 06, 2006, 03:43:31 PM »

Let's just look at the constitution.  Does putting God Bless America establish a state religion?
The relevant clause is not the establishment clause, but the free speech clause. The government may not compel individuals to carry a religious slogan on their cars, just as it may not compel them to carry a political or ideological slogan. Even secular slogans would be impermissible.
I wouldn't call "God Bless America" a religious slogan (and it certainly doesn't fit as a ideological or political slogan).  It's religious use has been so diluted by wide use by people of all faiths (or no faith) that it's simply a patriotic message, no more religious than "Support our County" or "United we Stand" or something along the likes of those.

Which likewise run afoul of Wooley v. Maynard if display is mandatory.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #127 on: July 06, 2006, 04:44:39 PM »

It's religious use has been so diluted by wide use by people of all faiths (or no faith) that it's simply a patriotic message, no more religious than "Support our County" or "United we Stand" or something along the likes of those.
Requiring individuals to carry the slogans "Support our Country" or "United we Stand" would also be unconstitutional.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #128 on: July 06, 2006, 04:46:07 PM »

It's religious use has been so diluted by wide use by people of all faiths (or no faith) that it's simply a patriotic message, no more religious than "Support our County" or "United we Stand" or something along the likes of those.
Requiring individuals to carry the slogans "Support our Country" or "United we Stand" would also be unconstitutional.

How about "Famous Potatoes"? Wink
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #129 on: July 06, 2006, 04:58:08 PM »

New Jersey recently passed a law prohibiting motorists from covering up the "Garden State" slogan on their plates.  I wonder what would happen in a challenge to that law.  Can citizens be forced to display any normative statement on their private property, then?
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #130 on: July 06, 2006, 05:19:22 PM »

You know, that could be a real moneymaker.  Have companies bid on having their slogans on a certain percentage of licence plates.  The revenue could be used to replace the costs of vehicle registration and lower taxes.

(not saying I endorse such an idea, just a random thought to ponder).
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #131 on: July 06, 2006, 07:05:15 PM »

That is utterly ridiculous.  Putting phrases endorsed by 99% of the country does not infringe upon anyone's freedom of speech.

Show me how someone was silenced in there freedom of speech or expression because of what they put on their liscense plate and maybe I'll change my mind.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #132 on: July 06, 2006, 07:17:57 PM »

That is utterly ridiculous.  Putting phrases endorsed by 99% of the country does not infringe upon anyone's freedom of speech.

Show me how someone was silenced in there freedom of speech or expression because of what they put on their liscense plate and maybe I'll change my mind.
"Freedom of speech" means control over the entirety of one's speech, not just a part of it. It includes not only the right to speak, but also the right to not speak. An individual's freedom of speech is infringed if he is forced to say something he does not wish to say, just as it is infringed if he is prevented from saying something he does wish to say.

The government, by making it mandatory to place "God Bless America" or some other slogan on all license plates, is compelling some individuals to engage in speech in which they might not wish to engage. It must be permissible to either cover up that part of the license plate, or else obtain a license plate without the slogan.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #133 on: July 06, 2006, 07:52:27 PM »

Well I disagree.  There's a difference in between protecting one's rights and protecting one's sensitivities.  These miniscule secular minorities need to get over themselves and stop whinning over the smallest details.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #134 on: July 06, 2006, 07:59:37 PM »

Well I disagree.  There's a difference in between protecting one's rights and protecting one's sensitivities.  These miniscule secular minorities need to get over themselves and stop whinning over the smallest details.
As I said, this issue has nothing to do with secularism or religion. The point is that the government is compelling individuals to engage in speech in which they do not wish to engage. Requiring an individual to place "God Bless America" on his car license plate is like requiring him to say "God Bless America."
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #135 on: August 14, 2006, 08:59:42 AM »

Not sure if this had been mentioned before, but while I was in South Carolina last month, I passed many vehicles with "In God We Trust" plates like the one below:

??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #136 on: August 14, 2006, 11:08:13 AM »

Nice plate!

They are trying to get this one passed here in FL :

I have the sample on the front of my truck!!

http://www.heritageplate.org/
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #137 on: August 15, 2006, 04:27:47 PM »

Nice plate!

They are trying to get this one passed here in FL :

I have the sample on the front of my truck!!

http://www.heritageplate.org/

That looks good, States.  I've seen a few Sons of Confederate Veterans plates around Roanoke, Lexington, Martinsville, and Emporia.

Of course, I like this plate even more:

MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #138 on: August 15, 2006, 08:26:55 PM »

I almost got that one for my car.  I was going to get "PRR" or "P-R-R," but both were already taken.  Sad
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies