UK General Election 2019 - Debate Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:36:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  UK General Election 2019 - Debate Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UK General Election 2019 - Debate Thread  (Read 2387 times)
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« on: July 07, 2019, 04:45:21 PM »

First Leaders Debate
August 12, 2019

Questions For Each Leader:

1. What is your position on Brexit? If you support Brexit, how will you enact the actual policy of Britain leaving the European Union? If you oppose Brexit, what is your plan to reverse Articel 50 being invoked by then-Prime Minister Andrea Leadsom?

I oppose Brexit, and Brexit will not happen without a deal with the European Union. My administration would negotiate with the European Union to suspend Article 50. Once we have successfully negotiated the suspension, we will begin preparations for a second referendum. If I am eected, I pledge that a second referendum will occur within my first 3 months in office.

2. More than 300,000 people are homeless in this country and scores more are living in temporary housing. If elected Prime Minister, what will you do to address this crisis?

We need bold new ideas. I will support a national housing program. My administration will create a 200 billion pound fund to house the homeless. We will invest up to 10 million pounds in existong homeless shelters. The 200 billion pound find will be used to built new homes for those, who are living on the streets. We will also pay an annual amount of 30,000 pounds to every single homeless person, who uses this program.

3. Reform of the House of Lords has become a hot-button political issue in this campaign. How would you like to see the Lords reformed, if at all.

I don’t really support reforming the House of Lords. I support the House of Lords, as it is. I support change, but I just don’t think that changing the House of Lords does much good for Great Britain.

4. Britain has suffered several major terror attacks over the last few years, including the Manchester Arena bombing and the Westminster Bridge attack; Jo Cox was shot to death in 2016, and, just last week, Arder Carson was brutally stabbed to death in his constituency. How will a Government led by you ensure Britons remain safe in their own neighborhoods?

Well first, we will increase airport security. My administration will also impose security services on trains and buses. We will add security technology to thousands of stations across Britain. At the same time, we will station police near major tourist attractions. However, before any of this program is implemented, we will have extensive racial profiling training, with any persons employed in these new security services. However, we must remain open to migrants and refugees. My administration will not turn anyone away, if they do not have weapons on them. We will welcome refugees from Greece, Syria, Libya, and many other places.

Questions for Specific Leaders:

Ms. Swinson, your comments on the campaign trail about allowing Scotland, Wales, and any region that chooses to to remain in the European Union even if the nation as a whole leaves have drawn sharp criticism and created a lot of confusion. Do you agree that such a plan would break up the Union?

I believe that the European Union is just that, a Union. The parts of the United Kingdom, each have their own storied history, and we should respect that. Scotland staying in the EU would not promote disunity, we would still allow free trade and the free movement across borders in my administration, even if “Leave” won the second referendum. So, in essence, Brexit would be extremely soft, if it won the second referendum, if I al elected. Scotland is still a part of Britain, so I would support limited EU membership, for example, Scotland can only deal with EU countries, Britain, as a whole, must deal with non-EU countries. I believe, quite frankly, that this is the best solution.

[/quote]
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 02:58:07 AM »
« Edited: August 08, 2019, 03:02:41 AM by Suburban New Jersey Conservative »

Second Leaders Debate
September 2, 2019

Questions For Each Leader:

1. Do you believe that Britain can, or should, become carbon neutral in its energy production?

Britain can become carbon neutral and we must. We face the threat of climate change and time is running out. If elected, the Liberal Democrats will pledge to initiate the process to phase out fossil fuels within 10 years. We will also implement strict restrictions on energy production, to ensure that it comes from a renewable source.

2. Based on all polls and projections, no single party will come close to commanding an absolute majority in Westminister. What is your position on coalition building in the Commons? Do you believe coalitions are an advantage or a disadvantage to the proportional, party-list system?

Coalitions are an advantage to the party-list system. Coalitions encourage us to work together and find common ground. It means that we have to listen to each other’s ideas and work together. This type of cooperation is something that is far too rare in modern politics in many countries.

3. If Britain cannot negotiate a withdrawal agreement with the EU by October 31, how would your government proceed? Would you attempt another extension, would you go forward without a deal, or would you end the Brexit process entirely?

I would end the Brexit process entirely. In fact, if elected we will suspend the Brexit process and hold a second referendum, and not let any Brexit process go forward, until the results of that referendum are certified.

4. There are reports that the American Major League Baseball Association is in talks with local business owners about operating a MLB franchise in the United Kingdom. Having seen the success of the MLB's London series earlier this summer, what is your position on an MLB club calling the British Isles their home?

I oppose bringing an MLB team, here. Any MLB team will not follow our tax laws and will likely not be subject to our taxation laws. Plus, in any case, the MLB is a North American league and it shall stay there. Under a Liberal Democrat ministry, we will not allow American teams into Britain, who will dodge our taxes and then send their profits back to America. I steadfastly oppose this idea.

5. Do you support or oppose such projects as the new runway at Heathrow, HS2, and Crossrail?

I support these projects as they will facilitate transportation. The runway at Heathrow will allow even more planes to land there, and it will make our airport even busier. The High Speed 2 will allow quick transport from Birmingham to Leeds and Birmingham to London. It will be a massive convenience for those, who frequently travel. I support the Crossrail project, it will make travel quicker and more convenient for many people living in London and the vicinity.

Questions for Specific Leaders:

Ms. Swinson, how do you plan to finance some of the claims you have made on the campaign trail? Specifically the promise to build thousands of new schools and spend millions on the NHS?

We will pay for these proposals by raising taxes on Britons with an income of over £150,000, currently they pay a tax rate of 45%, under our proposal, they would pay a tax of 70%. Additionally, those with an income over £285,000, will pay a tax of 80%, and those with a income over £500,000, will pay a tax of 90%. Our plan to pay for these proposals is to raise taxes on the richest Britons.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies