UK General Election 2019 - Debate Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:59:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  UK General Election 2019 - Debate Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UK General Election 2019 - Debate Thread  (Read 2375 times)
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« on: August 18, 2019, 11:56:31 PM »

1. Do you believe that Britain can, or should, become carbon neutral in its energy production?

I believe that Britain must become carbon neutral in order to combat climate change and ensure a clean future for our children. Today, renewable energy production is at an all time high. Wind, solar, and hydro energy have dramatically lowered our carbon dioxide emissions in the past decade.  Other sources, such as tidal and geothermal energy have come online in recent years. There’s still much work to be done, but we are clearly on the right track.

Under a Labour government, Britain will continue to phase out fossil fuels and replace them with renewables. We will invest in wind farms, in solar output, and in tidal energy.  Where needed, nuclear power can be used to fill the gaps when renewable output is low. A Labour government will also invest in energy storage, to ensure that our energy needs can be met at all times of the day.

By remaining in the EU, we can strengthen our relationship with Europe and combat climate change side by side. Britain already draws from foreign energy output in France and the Netherlands. We must work with these countries in order to make our nation truly carbon neutral.

With time and investment, Britain can set an example in clean, affordable energy for Europe and the rest of the world. It is my goal that Britain will be carbon neutral by 2035 and carbon negative by 2050.

2. Based on all polls and projections, no single party will come close to commanding an absolute majority in Westminister. What is your position on coalition building in the Commons? Do you believe coalitions are an advantage or a disadvantage to the proportional, party-list system?

Regardless of the results of this coming election, we will work with our allies in Parliament to revoke Article 50 and remain in the European Union. While new challenges may face a coalition government, Labour is ready to work with any party that opposes Brexit. I hope that my colleagues will stand side by side with a Labour government in opposing Brexit and fighting for the workers of this country.

Under proportional representation, coalitions are a fact of life. We should use this opportunity to build closer ties to other parties and deliver solutions for the people of this country, together. When we work with other parties to solve our toughest problems, we create a stronger Britain.

3. If Britain cannot negotiate a withdrawal agreement with the EU by October 31, how would your government proceed? Would you attempt another extension, would you go forward without a deal, or would you end the Brexit process entirely?

We will end Brexit on day 1. We will not exit the EU without a deal. We will not threaten the people of Northern Ireland with a hard border. We will not sacrifice our workers at the altar of a no deal Brexit. There will be no British exit from the European Union, period. Under Labour, Britain will remain in the EU.

With a Labour government in power, a date will be set for a second referendum on Britain’s membership in the EU. Voters will be given clear options on each choice and the consequences should the electorate decide to make that choice. I will fight for us to remain in the European Union. Let me make that clear.

Should the voters decide to exit the European Union, without a customs union or by staying in the single market, our government shall begin negotiations with Europe before triggering Article 50. Once a suitable deal has been arranged, only then shall Article 50 be triggered. But I will fight to make sure that day never comes again.

4. There are reports that the American Major League Baseball Association is in talks with local business owners about operating a MLB franchise in the United Kingdom. Having seen the success of the MLB's London series earlier this summer, what is your position on an MLB club calling the British Isles their home?

If American investors and baseball enthusiasts wish to expand into the UK, I wish them the best and hope that they find success here. However, a Labour government will not offer the MLB any special incentives or rewards for moving a club to Britain.

5. Do you support or oppose such projects as the new runway at Heathrow, HS2, and Crossrail?

I support all three of these projects. A new runway at Heathrow is necessary to manage current congestion and ensure that the airport remains the foremost hub in global transportation. However, I understand why environmental groups are not fully sold on the proposal. A Labour government will open a special inquiry into Heathrow airport and focus on ways to make it more environmentally friendly. We will also look for ways to reduce local noise pollution. In addition, I would invest in ways to make aviation cleaner and more fuel efficient. Our investments will reduce carbon emissions in the coming years, without sacrificing Heathrow as a main travel hub.

In a similar vein, HS2 has my full support. This expansion will finally give Manchester and Leeds access to high speed rail. It will allow the public to make the trip from the North of England to the Midlands and London in record time. We also support measures to expand high speed rail in Scotland and Wales, both of which have lagged behind in public investment from Westminster.

We stand with the Greens in supporting Crossrail, which will be an environmentally friendly way to move more people across London, more efficiently. I believe this program ought to be expanded in the coming years, with more public dollars going to finance similar projects.

6. Mr. Darling, has your position on nationalized rail services changed since your time as Transport Secretary in the early 2000s? What is your plan for Britain's rail networks?

I think it’s clear now that nationalization is the best way to go for our rail network. Evidence suggests that our private railways are propped up by state subsidies and tax breaks. This is simply robbery! The public has been lied to by these companies, who could not survive or deliver their services without investment from the government. In addition, ticket prices have soared. Many customers are priced out of the market by these companies, which I will remind you use public money.  A Labour government would nationalize railway service, without delay
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies