UK General Election 2019 - Debate Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:52:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  UK General Election 2019 - Debate Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UK General Election 2019 - Debate Thread  (Read 2381 times)
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« on: August 06, 2019, 07:48:35 AM »

Green Party debate responses

1) Yes, it can, and it shoul. We are facing an environmental crisis, and any and all attempts to tackle it should be put into action. The Green Party's New Energy Plan, which calls for establishing hydrogen plants in northern England and expanding wind and solar power across the country presents this as deasibly as possible, and will fully decarbonise our economy by 2030 through the use of not only sustainable energy production, but nationalising and modernising our rail network and instituting a tax on private aircraft.

People may say that we are going to aggressively and need to be mindful of our economy. I believe we should be honest. Renewable energy is the future, and we can help our minder get ahead of it by funding job training and work relief programs. We can put people to work and decarbonise our economy at the same time; the NEP alone will create milions of new jobs.

2) It allows parties like us, the Scottish National Party and other minor and regional parties to have a say in the governance of the country, rather than just serve as crossbenchers. I believe it is a good thing, and that we should look to further expand representation in the Parliament.

3) We would seek an extension in order to conduct a second referendum. We must remember that the children who must live with the decision-those aged under 18-were forbidden from taking part in the referendum, not to mention a good portion of the country was not represented.

We would hold a second referendum, allow 16 year olds to vote, and make it compulsory. Only this way will we get a full, proper reading of the public opinion

4) If it can be established without harming our environment through the construction of single-use stadiums and they can reach an accomodation with the ECB, then why not? If they were to use our existing sporting venues-which is quite doable-then there is little reason to oppose it. It would encourage investment in the United Kingdom and create hundreds, if not thousands of new jobs.

5) We vehemently oppose the Heathrow expansion. Aviation needs to contract, not expand, which leads to our argument for modernising our rail services. Train travel is far friendlier to the environment than air travel and upgrading our rail services will not only benefit the environemnt, but also cut down on extreme noise pollution.

That said, we oppose HS2 as well. Aside from the fact that 98 ancient forests would face damage or destruction if it were built, as well as the massive amounts of energy a train travelling on such a line would use-which is nearly double that of conventional rail services-and the destruction of wildlife habitats and recreational space, it would also entail the bulldozing of nearly 400 homes in stage 1 alone. 400 families would be without homes, but this is not what you hear from the major parties. When the Green Party says upgrade our rail services, we mean to to do it in a sustainable way, which is possible and detailed under the NEP.

Crossrail is a different beast. We support it fully and believe it is possible to power it purely with renewable energy.

6) People have always been aware of environmental issues, but they are just now starting to realise that while we are in a crisis, we are still capable of fighting climate change. We have the means to fight it, and that has given people hope that we can beat it, because we can beat it. Make no mistake, it will be a hard fight, but it is one that we can win.

The Green Party moreover has been expanding. We have seen a left wing and a working class in this country go unanswered by any of the major parties. We have seen our miners forced out of their jobs as their mines shut down, and then they are left without the means to train for jobs in renewable energy? And that's just one exmaple. I could name a hundred more.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 01:03:46 AM »

5. Do you support or oppose such projects as the new runway at Heathrow, HS2, and Crossrail?

I absolutely support such projects. I find it quite ironic that those same parties which constantly bemoan the lack of government investment into public works suddenly cannot find the backbone to actually support public works! HS2 and Crossrail are both no brainers and both can serve to help accomplish other critically important policy objectives. An expansion of both above and below ground rail would reduce congestion and carbon emissions. Moreover, high speed rail would allow fast travel across the nation without the need to utilize a petrol guzzling automobile.

I do support the Heathrow expansion as well, despite the controversy. Heathrow is one of the great hubs of air travel and it must be allowed to expand and to keep pace with the ever quickening world. No doubt, the expansion will have effects on the community around the airport, but my government will ensure that those affected receive their due.

Did you not hear me, Mr Cameron? 98 ancient forests would face damage or destruction if HS2 is built, not to mention the 400 homes that would have to be destroyed. Are you not at all concerned with the damage that forest destruction would cause to our ecosystem? Or that 400 families would be rendered homeless? Because that is what will happen with HS2, make no mistake about it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies