UK General Election 2019 - Debate Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:52:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  UK General Election 2019 - Debate Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UK General Election 2019 - Debate Thread  (Read 2341 times)
YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

« on: July 09, 2019, 04:30:19 PM »

David Cameron Debate Answers

1. What is your position on Brexit? If you support Brexit, how will you enact the actual policy of Britain leaving the European Union? If you oppose Brexit, what is your plan to reverse Articel 50 being invoked by then-Prime Minister Andrea Leadsom?

Well first, thank you for the question. Rarely has an issue been so important as this. And you know, my advisers have told me that I shouldn’t get too far into the weeds on this issue. They’ve said that the British people wouldn’t appreciate candidness on this. Well, you deserve an answer. Not on person on this stage is going to get everything they want on this issue, but the fact of the matter remains that we must carry out the will of the people on this issue.

First and foremost, new trade agreements ensuring that British goods actually have access to the vast European market. The Eurozone, for all its political flaws is a major economic player on the world stage, which should be obvious to the other party leaders. Moreover, an amenable agreement must be reached in Ireland to ensure that the region is not plunged back into large scale unrest. Ease of access between Northern Ireland and Ireland itself is critical. An open border for citizens of both Northern Ireland and Ireland is one of the many options on the table.

Finally, as I am sure you all know is the issue of the so called “divorce bill.” Obviously, we will not allow ourselves to be blackmailed into paying an exorbitant bill. But, again, the fact of the matter remains that we must meet our expectations, we are British for goodness sakes! This is not a Goldilocks situation, but a Conservative government is the only government which can possibly navigate the tides ahead.

Also, if I may, I question the statements made by both Mrs. Swinson and Mr. Darling. How can one be both opposed to Brexit and support a deal to leave the Union? Moreover, Mr. Darling, how many referendums must we have until you get what you want? We are a democracy, and I intend to follow the will of the people on this issue, and I question those who refuse to do so.

2. More than 300,000 people are homeless in this country and scores more are living in temporary housing. If elected Prime Minister, what will you do to address this crisis?

Homelessness in our country is as you accurately describe as a crisis. The Conservative solution to this is two fold. On the one hand, as your Prime Minister we will allocate 150 million pounds to palliative measures, such as increased funding for social services and shelters. However, the root cause is a dirth in the supply of housing.

As such, my government will support new tax abatements for those companies building affordable, adequate housing. This approach will allow for us to finally get a grasp on this crisis.

3. Reform of the House of Lords has become a hot-button political issue in this campaign. How would you like to see the Lords reformed, if at all.

While I do appreciate that British constitutional practice has become a topic of debate, I cannot help but feel this is a distraction from the more pressing matters. Reform can best be discussed after the much more practical problems of Brexit, homelessness, and political violence have been addressed.

More on this issue, we also must remember that the House of Lords, for all its faults does serve a purpose. In addition to the speakership, it serves as a useful check on the willfulness of Parliament. I question if those who support reform would truly support it if their political opponents are reelected in a few weeks.

4. Britain has suffered several major terror attacks over the last few years, including the Manchester Arena bombing and the Westminster Bridge attack; Jo Cox was shot to death in 2016, and, just last week, Arder Carson was brutally stabbed to death in his constituency. How will a Government led by you ensure Britons remain safe in their own neighborhoods?

This is a complex and worthwhile question. On the one hand, all of us on this stage bear some responsibility for the rhetoric which we are our respective parties use. We must be cautious of the means we utilize to win political power.

On a more practical note, new funds can and will be devoted to domestic security under my Prime Ministership. This will include new investments in local police forces to ensure that every British citizen is safe.

1. Mr. Cameron, the Tories have been in Government since 2012. Why should Britain return you to Number 10 as the third Conservative Prime Minister?

Because quite frankly we are the only ones who can lead the United Kingdom through these trying times. We are the only party whose leadership has actually attempted to negotiate a Brexit and who seems to understand that a perfect deal is not a real possibility.

If you want the chaos of recurring referendums under a Labour ministry or a Liberal Democratic Prime Minister, then so be it, but I can assure you right now, no such antics will take place under my leadership.
YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 11:13:56 AM »

Conservative Debate 2 Answers

1. Do you believe that Britain can, or should, become carbon neutral in its energy production?
Absolutely. There is absolutely no question about it that the United Kingdom must, can, and will become carbon neutral. I will commit today to working towards carbon neutrality by no later than 2050. We have already seen success on tackling this critical policy issues. Since the Conservatives began leading the government in 2010 we have cut carbon emissions by fully one-quarter and nearly ended British dependence on coal powered plants.

There is also a net positive to these efforts. By 2030 more than 2 million new jobs will be available in low emission professions. For two centuries, the United Kingdom has led the way in industrial and technological progress, and we can continue to do so as we advance into the 21st century.

2. Based on all polls and projections, no single party will come close to commanding an absolute majority in Westminister. What is your position on coalition building in the Commons? Do you believe coalitions are an advantage or a disadvantage to the proportional, party-list system?
Coalition building is one of the great traditions of British politics and the replacement of the first past the post system has further enshrined this tradition. Coalition building is critical to the well being of our democracy. It prevents a small plurality of voters from running roughshod over the will of the entire country.

Each Conservative ministry this decade has been a coalition government. Only we have the experience necessary to craft a government together in these trying times. The last Labour led ministry was a minority government. That is something we cannot afford this time.

3. If Britain cannot negotiate a withdrawal agreement with the EU by October 31, how would your government proceed? Would you attempt another extension, would you go forward without a deal, or would you end the Brexit process entirely?
Quite frankly I reject the premise of your question. My government will negotiate a deal by October 31st full stop. A no deal Brexit is to disastrous an outcome to realistically fathom, and so no I will not consider that.

I think the better question right now is why do three of the major parties on this stage tonight support overturning the will of the people on this issue? Why do each of you think that you know better than the millions of Britons who made an informed rational decision? Riddle me that.

4. There are reports that the American Major League Baseball Association is in talks with local business owners about operating a MLB franchise in the United Kingdom. Having seen the success of the MLB's London series earlier this summer, what is your position on an MLB club calling the British Isles their home?

This is perhaps the easiest question all night. New investment in Britain is always welcome. We must be careful of course not to fall into the American trap of subsidizing these stadiums with public funds, while the people receive no real payout for the investment. Even so, tax abatements to encourage the investment can certainly be left on the table.

5. Do you support or oppose such projects as the new runway at Heathrow, HS2, and Crossrail?

I absolutely support such projects. I find it quite ironic that those same parties which constantly bemoan the lack of government investment into public works suddenly cannot find the backbone to actually support public works! HS2 and Crossrail are both no brainers and both can serve to help accomplish other critically important policy objectives. An expansion of both above and below ground rail would reduce congestion and carbon emissions. Moreover, high speed rail would allow fast travel across the nation without the need to utilize a petrol guzzling automobile.

I do support the Heathrow expansion as well, despite the controversy. Heathrow is one of the great hubs of air travel and it must be allowed to expand and to keep pace with the ever quickening world. No doubt, the expansion will have effects on the community around the airport, but my government will ensure that those affected receive their due.

As a nation we must not back away from confronting the future, but grasp it with both hands.

1. Mr. Cameron, how do you respond to comments that the Tories are out of touch and built around Old Boys' Clubs? Does the recent scandal around Jacob Rees-Moog, one of your top of the list candidates, reflect the culture of your party?

Absolutely not. Look, Mr. Rees-Moog has already apologized for the unfortunate oversight and is working to rectify the mistake. Our campaign has gone all over Britain and we intend to be the party of every British citizen regardless of class, race, or gender.

As I have said before, I fail to see how we can be out of touch when many of the other leaders on this stage seem perfectly content to simply ignore the will of 17 million Britons. At least the Conservatives seem to actually understand our charge to be representatives of the people and not vessels for whatever whims the party leadership decides to take.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies