AOC says migrants forced to drink toilet water after tense border visit
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:24:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  AOC says migrants forced to drink toilet water after tense border visit
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: AOC says migrants forced to drink toilet water after tense border visit  (Read 7367 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2019, 10:02:20 AM »
« edited: July 02, 2019, 10:07:39 AM by Elliot County Populist »

Tbh sh**tty conditions but I wouldn't be shocked by some lying and exaggerations. I would like in a ideal condition open acceptance of these refugees provided almost all welfare was cut but I doubt Democrats would ever want to cut welfare.

This is a horrible shower? It's not a 5 star hotel but I have been in similar.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2019, 10:10:32 AM »

Tbh sh**tty conditions but I wouldn't be shocked by some lying and exaggerations. I would like in a ideal condition open acceptance of these refugees provided almost all welfare was cut but I doubt Democrats would ever want to cut welfare.

This is a horrible shower? It's not a 5 star hotel but I have been in similar.

That's a normal shower. What is lightweight Castro's point?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2019, 10:14:13 AM »

I'm all for enforcing our immigration laws, and strengthening our Southern border, but this goes so far beyond that. It breaks my heart to think that these people come here for a better life, one with potential and purpose, and this is the treatment they're shown; this is the face of America they see. It doesn't matter anyone's place of origin or immigration status, we're all children of God and deserve to be treated with the dignity that comes from being made in his image. America can't be a moral leader when engaging in this despicable treatment of the weakest in our society...

Look.... here's the bottom line....

Comparing these detention facilities to concentration camps is an insulting lie. What is going is this....

There are a few bad apples who are highlighted by sensational media and conditions are without a doubt bad, but that is just a fraction of the story. The main story is that people are flooding our borders en masse and as a result we do not have all the resources to deal with those kinds of numbers, we get overwhelmed, and conditions go to hell, toss in a few bad apples in law enforcement and this is a recipe for disaster.
And in case after case of massacres and genocides, it’s a few bad apples who are truly evil and then a whole lot of foot soldiers “just following orders”...we used to do social experiments to learn about this but we had to stop because of just how fast and to such a huge extent things got cruel and out of control.

I’m so sick of people claiming the comparison to concentration camps is an insulting lie.  Stop minimizing the present situation by setting the bar at your memory of the movie Schindler’s List.  Do you really think CPB was out showing elected congressmen and women the absolute worst of the worst?

They didn’t want pictures taken for a reason.  And you bet the people who talked will face retribution by the guards.

This is sick.  Stop supporting it.

#closethecamps

Investigate CPB

Fire people freely

Organize an immediate humanitarian response by NON-LAW ENFORCEMENT/NON-MILITARY organizations.  

We already have Trump talking about “taking those people” and “getting rid of it” about homeless people.  I’m sure Republicans are creaming their pants over their next opportunity to hurt people.
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2019, 10:18:21 AM »

I'm all for enforcing our immigration laws, and strengthening our Southern border, but this goes so far beyond that. It breaks my heart to think that these people come here for a better life, one with potential and purpose, and this is the treatment they're shown; this is the face of America they see. It doesn't matter anyone's place of origin or immigration status, we're all children of God and deserve to be treated with the dignity that comes from being made in his image. America can't be a moral leader when engaging in this despicable treatment of the weakest in our society...

Did you vote for Trump? If so, this is what you voted for. This is exactly what he said he would do. How do you justify that?

No I didn't, and I won't be.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2019, 10:20:24 AM »
« Edited: July 02, 2019, 10:32:21 AM by Bagel23 »

Comparing these detention facilities to concentration camps is an insulting lie. What is going is this....

There are a few bad apples who are highlighted by sensational media and conditions are without a doubt bad, but that is just a fraction of the story. The main story is that people are flooding our borders en masse and as a result we do not have all the resources to deal with those kinds of numbers, we get overwhelmed, and conditions go to hell, toss in a few bad apples in law enforcement and this is a recipe for disaster.
And in case after case of massacres and genocides, it’s a few bad apples who are truly evil and then a whole lot of foot soldiers “just following orders”...we used to do social experiments to learn about this but we had to stop because of just how fast and to such a huge extent things got cruel and out of control.

I’m so sick of people claiming the comparison to concentration camps is an insulting lie.  Stop minimizing the present situation by setting the bar at your memory of the movie Schindler’s List.  Do you really think CPB was out showing elected congressmen and women the absolute worst of the worst?

They didn’t want pictures taken for a reason.  And you bet the people who talked will face retribution by the guards.

#closethecamps

Investigate CPB

Fire people freely

Organize an immediate humanitarian response by NON-LAW ENFORCEMENT/NON-MILITARY organizations.  

We already have Trump talking about “taking those people” and “getting rid of it” about homeless people.  I’m sure Republicans are creaming their pants over their next opportunity to hurt people.

If you can get those people better facilities through non law non military services I am all for it. If you can't we don't really have many other options here besides throw them all back to Mexico or wherever (I don't support that), or just let them all into America (can't do that either we need to vet and process and stuff) but we gotta hold them somewhere temporarily, so this will have to do for now.

We are not going out of our way to round people up because they are brown or hispanic or whatever, putting them in concentration camps and then gassing hundreds of thousands of them a year, please stop comparing these camps to concentration camps. I can guarantee you that if these were anything like concentration camps you'd be seeing more than a few dozen mostly natural cause aided by poor sanitary condition deaths over several years.
UncleSam

« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2019, 10:27:08 AM »

Detention facilities should be banned. If we catch people here illegally they should be immediately deported. The notion we are required to pay for food and housing for them is insanity.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2019, 10:34:54 AM »
« Edited: July 02, 2019, 10:53:32 AM by Elliot County Populist »

#closethecamps

Investigate CPB

Fire people freely

If you can get those people better facilities through non law non military services I am all for it. If you can't we don't really have many other options here besides throw them all back to Mexico or wherever (I don't support that), or just let them all into America (can't do that either we need to vet and process and stuff) but we gotta hold them somewhere temporarily, so this will have to do for now.

We are not going out of our way to round people up because they are brown or hispanic or whatever, putting them in concentration camps and then gassing hundreds of thousands of them a year, please stop comparing these camps to concentration camps. I can guarantee you that if these were anything like concentration camps you'd be seeing more than a few dozen mostly natural cause aided by poor sanitary condition deaths over several years.

Yeah I will refuse to call these camps concentration camps considering the people are voluntarily choosing to come here.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2019, 10:40:25 AM »

Yeah I will refuse to call these camps concentration camps considering the people are voluntarily choosing to come here.

Huh? That doesn't even make sense. They are choosing to come to America because of terrible, unlivable conditions in their home country. Coming to America has literally nothing to do with whether a detention center's conditions are so bad that they merit being called concentration camps. I don't even understand how you made that connection.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2019, 10:44:15 AM »

Huh? That doesn't even make sense. They are choosing to come to America because of terrible, unlivable conditions in their home country. Coming to America has literally nothing to do with whether a detention center's conditions are so bad that they merit being called concentration camps. I don't even understand how you made that connection.

We are not genociding hispanics, central americans, darker people, whatever other category or label you might want to use, these are nothing like concentration camps. These are government run humanitarian facilities that have been overwhelmed and overrun by pure numbers, nobody besides a few bad apples are trying to cause harm, these are near force majeure circumstances our government is under, we don't have the staffing, spacing, budget, etc necessary to care for all these people, with the funding allocations the way they are, it's just math that facilities are in bad shape.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2019, 10:48:23 AM »

We are not genociding hispanics, central americans, darker people, whatever other category or label you might want to use, these are nothing like concentration camps. These are government run humanitarian facilities that have been overwhelmed and overrun by pure numbers, nobody besides a few bad apples are trying to cause harm, these are near force majeure circumstances our government is under, we don't have the staffing, spacing, budget, etc necessary to care for all these people, with the funding allocations the way they are, it's just math that facilities are in bad shape.

>forced to drink from toilets
>sleeping on concrete floor
>berated and insulted by detention guards at all hours of the day
>"humanitarian"
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2019, 10:52:45 AM »

>forced to drink from toilets
>sleeping on concrete floor
>berated and insulted by detention guards at all hours of the day
>"humanitarian"

First point can be attributed to lack of funding or a few bad apples, second one is lack of funding, third one is a few bad apples, but overall we are feeding, caring, clothing, rescuing tens of thousands of people, look at the overall story, the good we are doing, not solely the bad things or sensationalism. This is a humanitarian operation that our government is running on a limited budget with a few bad apples, not everything is going to go great.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2019, 11:00:11 AM »

The government pays about $750 a Day to house children in their Kiddie Koncentration Kamps™, You would think for that they could provide a bed.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2019, 11:08:11 AM »

First point can be attributed to lack of funding or a few bad apples, second one is lack of funding, third one is a few bad apples, but overall we are feeding, caring, clothing, rescuing tens of thousands of people, look at the overall story, the good we are doing, not solely the bad things or sensationalism. This is a humanitarian operation that our government is running on a limited budget with a few bad apples, not everything is going to go great.

Are you sure you don't want to add a few more instances of the term 'bad apples' to your post?
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2019, 11:11:16 AM »

Are you sure you don't want to add a few more instances of the term 'bad apples' to your post?

Sorry, I have a tendency to pick a metaphor or whatever like Al Gore with the lockbox and just roll with it.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2019, 12:25:34 PM »

It's not a concentration camp if you can choose to leave and go back to where you were before.  That's not to minimize what these people are fleeing. Obviously if they are choosing to stay through all this in hopes of obtaining asylum then what they left must be pretty bad.  And the CBP staff, dealing with managing this with a lack of resources, might have little incentive to try to make it better for the arrivals but instead be tempted to just allow it to be bad enough that the most desperate leave so that they aren't so overwhelmed with people beyond their capacity.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2019, 12:30:39 PM »

Sorry, I have a tendency to pick a metaphor or whatever like Al Gore with the lockbox and just roll with it.

Sure looks like it's way more than a few. And how is "lack of funding" in any way an excuse? Of course the Republicans have intentionally underfunded these camps! That's part of the outrage.

You're also glossing over the fact that Trump has explicitly stated he wants the camps to be unpleasant to deter people from coming here. It's fairly obvious that these camps could be better but the Trump Administration does not want them to be.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2019, 01:03:55 PM »

Sure looks like it's way more than a few. And how is "lack of funding" in any way an excuse? Of course the Republicans have intentionally underfunded these camps! That's part of the outrage.

You're also glossing over the fact that Trump has explicitly stated he wants the camps to be unpleasant to deter people from coming here. It's fairly obvious that these camps could be better but the Trump Administration does not want them to be.

I know, it does not excuse Trump and the politicians, rather the agencies and those running them. Don't paint them as the bad guys, it's Trump's and the GOP's fault.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2019, 01:11:44 PM »

Is ever so telling that conservatives primary defense of this is arguing over semantics whether these camps are concentration camps like Auschwitz as opposed to merely internment camps like we locked Japanese people in the 1940s. Raw disgust is my only reaction here.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2019, 01:14:56 PM »

Trump's entire persona campaigning was nothing but insane so people knew they were voting for an unstable, unpredictable person when they chose to do so.

But what about Hillary's emails?
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2019, 01:40:10 PM »

Is ever so telling that conservatives primary defense of this is arguing over semantics whether these camps are concentration camps like Auschwitz as opposed to merely internment camps like we locked Japanese people in the 1940s. Raw disgust is my only reaction here.

Well I wouldn't really say that it's appropriate to call them "concentration camps" given that that's going to make people immediately think of Nazis gassing millions of people despite the literal meaning and you shouldn't just flippantly lump things in with the Holocaust. But I don't really consider that a "defense" and these places are still awful. Not being as bad as the Nazis is a very low bar.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2019, 01:51:27 PM »

Well I wouldn't really say that it's appropriate to call them "concentration camps" given that that's going to make people immediately think of Nazis gassing millions of people despite the literal meaning and you shouldn't just flippantly lump things in with the Holocaust. But I don't really consider that a "defense" and these places are still awful. Not being as bad as the Nazis is a very low bar.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2019, 02:10:30 PM »
« Edited: July 02, 2019, 03:49:35 PM by Elliot County Populist »

Its not even comparable to British Boer concentration camps even if the conditions were similar because these migrants are idiots that know how sh**tty our administration is against migrants and still choose to come.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2019, 02:46:19 PM »

Tbh sh**tty conditions but I wouldn't be shocked by some lying and exaggerations.

Border war of words: Trump, right-wing media are eager to muddy the waters. That means it's bad
The reports are so bad that even the most strident racist has trouble rationalizing this away. But all this is happening behind closed doors, in facilities in relatively remote places like El Paso and McAllen, Texas. So the right-wing spinmeisters have their angle, which is to recast this as a "he said, she said" situation where the real truth is unknowable, and therefore anyone who would like to dismiss the complaints as liberal hysterics is free to do so.

"Who is telling the truth?" Martha MacCallum of Fox News intoned dramatically at the top of a Monday segment covering the issue, setting the frame of unknowability for her largely conservative audience.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2019, 03:41:31 PM »

Remember. In no way are these camps.

ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2019, 04:11:55 PM »

Trump's entire persona campaigning was nothing but insane so people knew they were voting for an unstable, unpredictable person when they chose to do so.

This times 1000.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies