The Dance of Death - Sign Up and Rules Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 04:31:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Dance of Death - Sign Up and Rules Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11
Author Topic: The Dance of Death - Sign Up and Rules Thread  (Read 18182 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2019, 05:29:27 PM »

Welcome!

I'm closing off sign-ups to prevent the game becoming too large (at least for the first turn or so, just to see if it's not too much) as we have 19 players, so I'll just leave Castile open before we start.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2019, 05:35:18 PM »

Welcome!

I'm closing off sign-ups to prevent the game becoming too large (at least for the first turn or so, just to see if it's not too much) as we have 19 players, so I'll just leave Castile open before we start.
Is it a record?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2019, 05:37:14 PM »

Welcome!

Is it a record?

It is!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2019, 08:24:05 PM »

Good news and not so good ones, gentlemen. I've half-way done with the turn crises, but the amount of info I'm having to process and research for twenty players has understandably taken longer than I expected. We're not starting today because I had to devote most of my spare time to my thesis, but I hope to have things finished by tomorrow or early Wednesday.

In the meantime do feel free to make suggestions to the game events or eventual situations you'd like to see explored in the game, the Discord server (since there's a clear majority in favor) should get started tonight as well for communication / coordination purposes (but not in any case for any outsourcing of the game).
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2019, 08:32:59 PM »

Maybe for an event, we could have information from vessels that sailed on the wrong course that expands the map ever so slightly and allows us to see more of the world.
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2019, 02:39:27 AM »

I can only count 18 players!
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2019, 02:57:22 AM »

Maybe for an event, we could have information from vessels that sailed on the wrong course that expands the map ever so slightly and allows us to see more of the world.

While this sounds good, iirc seafaring vessels like this weren't around yet.
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2019, 04:32:26 AM »

Do I get a royal family? I’ve got loads of handy nephews!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2019, 09:37:29 AM »

Do I get a royal family? I’ve got loads of handy nephews!

You do! I need to make that addition along with an edit to the Nicean royal family.

(Turn prompts advancing great, hoping for tonight)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2019, 01:45:44 PM »

Man, that's a lot of s**t to process.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2019, 02:16:54 PM »

Royal families updated, Irene Laskaris is married to Andronikos Palaiologos and the papal family of Innocent III (the De Conti) have been added, at least the most relevant ones.
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2019, 01:59:33 AM »

You’ve outdone yourself! Far more Conti info than I had so far located online! Many thanks
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2019, 06:35:41 AM »

I'm excited.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2019, 01:59:52 PM »

You’ve outdone yourself! Far more Conti info than I had so far located online! Many thanks

Thanks! Did some research and had the luck to find Papal Genealogy: The Families and Descendants of the Popes, a very helpful book in terms of that family (most of the Conti info can be previewed here if it's any help to you).

Also, I must note almost half the people in Royal Families either lack a known date of birth or the actual date has been estimated by some historians (sometimes with differences of years or decades), so in many cases I made what I thought would be a reasonable guess. If you think a particular date is wrong - or even better, have evidence I haven't found - do let me know.

(Still working my way through this, not satisfied with the lack of detail on some turn crisis I wrote)
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #64 on: July 04, 2019, 09:18:32 PM »

Thanks! Did some research and had the luck to find Papal Genealogy: The Families and Descendants of the Popes, a very helpful book in terms of that family (most of the Conti info can be previewed here if it's any help to you).

Also, I must note almost half the people in Royal Families either lack a known date of birth or the actual date has been estimated by some historians (sometimes with differences of years or decades), so in many cases I made what I thought would be a reasonable guess. If you think a particular date is wrong - or even better, have evidence I haven't found - do let me know.

(Still working my way through this, not satisfied with the lack of detail on some turn crisis I wrote)

Always appreciate the effort you go into in these games.
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #65 on: July 04, 2019, 09:30:12 PM »

Always appreciate the effort you go into in these games.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2019, 01:31:09 AM »

The game has started.

We will have a Mid-Turn update on Friday night. Was originally going for Thursday, but I want to see how activity looks like first and there's a lot of info for players to diggest (I did write 54 different turn crisis after all).

As always, include me on PM's, or inform me of what conversations take place and what is said (do try to be realistic, to give an example, Aragon negotiating with the Mongols would have meant years for a single messenger to get from one realm to the other).

Feel free to ask all questions via PM or the Discord, and raise the issue here if there is no answer in the 48 hours after you ask a question.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2019, 03:12:09 PM »

Are there military statistics anywhere?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2019, 03:15:41 PM »

Sadly, no. The reality of medieval warfare is that numbers aren't really trustworthy, so it's very difficult to determine with a decent level of detail how large the armies actually are and how many troops each ruler can raise (and requires research levels not feasible with 18 players).

If someone has further ideas to how to make this work or determine some sort of numbers I'll be happy to hear it, but this is an area in which we'll have to work in an abstract sense for the time being.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2019, 03:17:28 PM »

Sadly, no. The reality of medieval warfare is that numbers aren't really trustworthy, so it's very difficult to determine with a decent level of detail how large the armies actually are and how many troops each ruler can raise (and requires research levels not feasible with 18 players).

If someone has further ideas to how to make this work or determine some sort of numbers I'll be happy to hear it, but this is an area in which we'll have to work in an abstract sense for the time being.
USE CRUSADER KINGS
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2019, 03:18:13 PM »

How will military results be calculated if there isn't a weighting based on troops numbers? Or is it just based on the assumption that the Mongol Horde will out number, say, Aragon (for example)?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2019, 03:23:19 PM »

How will military results be calculated if there isn't a weighting based on troops numbers? Or is it just based on the assumption that the Mongol Horde will out number, say, Aragon (for example)?

Exactly. The first game of this kind that I hosted (Balance of Power) did not work with military numbers either, even as we fought an earlier World War I. I think it worked reasonably well, even if it used the random number generator.

I do plan to use the dice accounting for the factors we've observed in other games thus far, but army sizes would have to be assumed.

I'd like to, but the CK2 numbers are not accurate either - I think - or depend on factors we're not account for in the game.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2019, 03:28:00 PM »

Exactly. The first game of this kind that I hosted (Balance of Power) did not work with military numbers either, even as we fought an earlier World War I. I think it worked reasonably well, even if it used the random number generator.

I do plan to use the dice accounting for the factors we've observed in other games thus far, but army sizes would have to be assumed.

I'd like to, but the CK2 numbers are not accurate either - I think - or depend on factors we're not account for in the game.

Good enough for me! Now get to posting your Change UK turn! Smiley
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2019, 03:58:57 PM »

Good enough for me! Now get to posting your Change UK turn! Smiley

For the dice rolls, would we get bonuses for troop quality i.e. r1d6 Kingdom of Denmark (+1)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #74 on: July 07, 2019, 04:03:34 PM »

For the dice rolls, would we get bonuses for troop quality i.e. r1d6 Kingdom of Denmark (+1)

If the difference between both armies is noticeable (mob of press-ganged peasants vs, say, elite Templar Knights), then yes absolutely.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies