UK General Election 2019 (Backstory, Rules, & Sign Up) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:31:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  UK General Election 2019 (Backstory, Rules, & Sign Up) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UK General Election 2019 (Backstory, Rules, & Sign Up)  (Read 22291 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« on: June 25, 2019, 09:05:33 PM »

I was looking forward to an alternative Change UK - essentially because of the challenge of making something out of such a failed party -, but if that's not available then Brexit Party, please.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 05:34:53 PM »

Just a clarification, the elections have done away with constituencies and replaced them with regions like MEP's? So if Labour gets 51% of the vote in the region London Labour would get 51% of the seats in London?

That is correct. That was the twist Lumine created for the original game.

Yeah, pretty much.

This was Scotland in 2012:

SCOTLAND: 59 seats
Labour Party: 30% (18)
Liberal Democrats: 26% (16)
Conservative Party: 25% (15)
Scottish National Party: 17% (10)
Green Party: 1% (0)
Others: 1% (0)

Back then I eliminated the percentage that went for parties below the 5% threshold (2%, the Others + Green Party) and then made the calculations for each party. Seats are then allocated factoring for the party % based on the remaining 98% of useful votes (so to speak).

Thus, if Labour reached 30%, you divide 30/98 and the result (the real percentage in the votes that count) is then multipled by the number of seats per region (in this case 59).

So 30/98 = 0,306
0,306 x 59 = 18

Therefore, a 30% result for Labour in Scotland yields 18 MP's. It's a fairly simple excercise that, I think, gave the game back then an interesting twist, and it should be particularly interesting for this one since the large amount of parties makes it more likely some will miss the 5% threshold and thus be left without MP's in a given region.

(That's how I did it anyway, I'm sure there's a better way or that Dkrol has settled on his own methods)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 10:23:15 PM »

Lumine, from a mod perspective, are my photos in the OP properly formatted and attributed?

Absolutely! Well done on that.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 03:29:30 PM »

A quick note that I guess was not clear from the Backstory: there was no 2014 referendum on Scottish independence. May's opposition to a referendum is what brought down her first coalition. The LibDems will be able to change their schedule to remove the reference to the 2014 referendum.

Interesting! I had assumed it was like in OTL as well.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 03:49:23 PM »

I'll have my turn up tonight as well. I might end up abusing the use of "interviews", let me know if they're too many.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2019, 01:33:10 AM »

Haven't managed to post a turn yet due to writing for the 1212 game, will try to do so today.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 07:54:16 PM »

Ok. I'll allow the extension. The turn will end at 11:59 PM on Tuesday, July 9. This will be a hard deadline without the "until I wake up" grace period.

Thank so you much!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2019, 09:28:49 PM »

My sincere apologies! Tried my best, but work was demanding today - when I thought I'd have the time to do my schedule - and it proved impossible. If anything, it reaffirms that much as I want to play these games, when I'm hosting one I should be focused strictly on that given the inmense workload of the 1212 game.

I'll have to drop out for that reason, although if there's anything I can help with do let me know.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2019, 09:55:32 AM »

With the way Change UK was projecting in the game, I wouldn't feel comfortable making them an NPC. In order to continue, we need a new player to pick up Change UK.

I have a idea, the DUP will merge into the UKIP or Brexit party.

Absolutely not.

I really wouldn't want the game to suffer over my - perhaps hasty - withdrawal or be slowed down, though I really haven't managed to have the time for it. Perhaps - assuming there is no other player - I could absorb the hit for an inactive turn and try to recover in the next? (or post a placeholder schedule when I get a break from work today so the party didn't suddenly go inactive out of nowhere)

There's such potential for incompetence in RL Change UK that I'm sure it would be realistic for them to shoot themselves on the foot with internal infighting at the verge of success, and I'd like the game to continue.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2019, 04:32:51 PM »

I am staying! This is just too fun to abandon.

Managed to post a schedule, leading candidates and debate, though I fully expect a penalty for posting late.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2019, 01:30:27 AM »

Haven't forgotten about this, but have been busy. I'll post my schedule in the morning (just did the research), then the speeches.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2019, 07:09:30 PM »

Actually, would it be too much to request Saturday? I really haven't had the time to work on this or finish the Dance or Death turn due to a lot of pressure at work, and posting that turn is my first priority.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2019, 10:34:12 PM »

Just finishing up mine, so sorry for the delay!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2019, 08:05:27 PM »

So sorry for not having posted before, I was overwhelmed with other stuff and I think I really got myself into too many commitments. I'll be posting a somewhat simplified turn within the next two hours to as to not harm the game, though I admit I did write myself into a corner by choosing Soubry.

It's been remarkably fun, but Change UK left so little material behind it's forcing me to improvise way too much!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2019, 10:57:26 PM »

Fascinating exit poll! Is it alright if we post reactions or interviews as the results come in?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2019, 07:50:59 PM »

I hope not. We're waiting to see how coalition negotiations go, I believe.
I'm waiting to hear back from Change UK, but we should have a coalition ready to go

I figured we were ready and the details would be discussed after, but done! (sent a response)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies