LC 2.35 Firearms safety Act (Final vote) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:28:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  LC 2.35 Firearms safety Act (Final vote) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: LC 2.35 Firearms safety Act (Final vote)  (Read 2226 times)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« on: June 25, 2019, 05:55:49 PM »
« edited: July 04, 2019, 02:45:10 PM by tack50 »

Firearms Safety Act

to ensure we attain common sense weapons reform

Section I: Standard Regulations and Safety Measures

1. Background Checks shall be mandatory for all gun sales.

a. In order to purchase a firearm, the prospective consumer must pass this Background Check.

b. Background Checks shall be conducted by the Bureau of Firearm Safety (BFS).

2. Concealed Carry shall hereby be prohibited.

3. The sale of firearms to any person under the age of 18 shall hereby be prohibited.

Section II: Revising the Bureau of Firearm Safety

1. The Bureau of Firearm Safety (BFS) is to be established.

a. The BFS shall have an NPC Director that is appointed by the Governor. The director shall lead the bureau and is tasked with the hiring of personnel.

b. The BFS shall work in tandem with federal resources to administer and report on firearm Background Checks.

c. The Governor may dissolve and reform the BFS.

Section III: Enactment

1. This act shall take effect upon the appointment of the BFS Director.

Sponsor: PyroTheFox

Debate time for this bill has started and shall last no less than 72 hours
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 05:58:19 PM »

Also, after reading the Legislation introduction thread, SNJC motioned to co-sponsor the bill.

24 hours to object.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 07:54:25 PM »

While a bit underwhelming after the referendum, this bill is still a positive step forward in terms of gun control in Lincoln and I will be more than happy to support it!
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 07:34:37 PM »

Last I checked, banning concealed carry has never been a positive step towards anything...

Could you elaborate further on that? I would argue it has a negative effect on perceived public security as it has a snowball effect where you won't feel safe without a gun because you know anyone can have a gun.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 03:21:30 PM »

Regarding the amendment while I support its aim, I have to agree with the Chancellor that we should concentrate on something simple and 100% constitutional first.

I also wonder if a regional assault weapons ban is constitutional and/or enforceable. Not necesarily because of the equivalent to the 2nd amendment, but because of interregional commerce.

What is stopping Lincoln citizens from going to the South or Fremont, buying guns and bringing them back?
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 04:20:28 PM »

So I haven't adjusted the numbers yet to account for in game growth, but circa late 2016 early 17 irl there were 4,777,143 concealed weapon permits issued by states in Lincoln. Since then the number has grown although NH and ME went permitless.

So yeah, this bill disarms like 5 million citizens who jumped through every legal hoop required. Michigan in 2016 had 616,508 citizens with concealed carry permits ... 39 of them were convicted of a violent crime that year. So basically this disarms the 99% due to the bad acts of the less than 1%.

This law would guarantee to criminals that victims in public wont have guns and lead to an increase in crime (not even counting the arrests that innocent citizens would face for exercising their Constitutional rights). Btw ... who do cops up north tend to disproportionately stop and frisk? Oh yeah, minorities.

There is many research showing that guns actually make people less safe, not more.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/more-guns-do-not-stop-more-crimes-evidence-shows/

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/hsph-in-the-news/do-guns-make-us-safer-science-suggests-no/
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 05:34:46 AM »

I like how the racist and sexist Lincoln Council wants to ignore the fact that gun proposals such as the one on the floor will result in more women feeling unsafe and allows for more minorities to be targeted for doing nothing wrong.

This causes more harm for millions of innocent people who have done nothing wrong. That is a fact.

I do not think you should need a gun to feel secure in the first place. I most certainly do not want to own one and feel secure (circumstances are extremely different I know). If anything, a gun increases the risk of a shootout. I think you are overestimating how many criminals have guns in the first place. I have thankfully never been robbed, but from stories I have heard from friends who have it usually involves a knife or even just a regular fistfight.

As for racial profiling, it is illegal and will continue to be illegal. Maybe an amendment to clarify this would be a good idea?
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2019, 05:38:30 PM »

Councillors, a vote is now open on the following amendment

Firearms Safety Act

a. In order to purchase a firearm, the prospective consumer must pass this Background Check.

3. The sale of firearms to any person under the age of 18 shall hereby be prohibited.

4. There shall be a ban on the purchasing, sale, or possession of assualt weapons, in the region of Lincoln, these weapons include semiautomatic rifles, pistols, and shotguns, which can accept detachable magazines, as well as revolving cylindrical shotguns

5. Any weapon that is purchased, sold, or possessed may not have a folding or collapsible stock, a bayonet lug, a threaded barrel, a grenade launcher, or a barrel shroud

6. There shall be a ban on the purchasing, sale, or possession of fully automatic weapons, also known as Title II weapons under the National Firearms Act

a. The BFS shall have an NPC Director that is appointed by the Governor. The director shall lead the bureau and is tasked with the hiring of personnel.

b. The BFS shall work in tandem with federal resources to administer and report on firearm Background Checks.

Please vote AYE, NAY or Abstain
This vote shall last for 24 hours or until all Councillors have voted
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2019, 05:38:51 PM »

Abstain
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2019, 06:54:09 PM »

The vote on the earlier amendment is now closed

Aye: 1 (SNJC)
Abstain: 1 (tack50)
Nay: 4 (thr33, Pyro, lfromnj, PSOL)
Not voting: 3 (Dipper Josh, Zaybay, Griffin)

So the amendment is rejected
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2019, 02:43:39 PM »

Councillors, a FINAL vote is now open on the following legislation

Firearms Safety Act

Please vote AYE, NAY or Abstain
This vote shall last for 48 hours or until all Councillors have voted
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2019, 02:45:50 PM »

Aye

This is an overall moderate amount of gun control that will make the region of Lincoln safer
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2019, 03:27:30 PM »

Important notice

I have been informed by the Chancellor that today is not a sitting day for the Council.

The vote shall remain open and any Councillors who want to may vote today, but this vote shall not be closed until the 8th of July as all time during the 4th of July won't count towards the 48 hours of voting.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies