LC 2.35 Firearms safety Act (Final vote)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:03:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  LC 2.35 Firearms safety Act (Final vote)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: LC 2.35 Firearms safety Act (Final vote)  (Read 2197 times)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 25, 2019, 05:55:49 PM »
« edited: July 04, 2019, 02:45:10 PM by tack50 »

Firearms Safety Act

to ensure we attain common sense weapons reform

Section I: Standard Regulations and Safety Measures

1. Background Checks shall be mandatory for all gun sales.

a. In order to purchase a firearm, the prospective consumer must pass this Background Check.

b. Background Checks shall be conducted by the Bureau of Firearm Safety (BFS).

2. Concealed Carry shall hereby be prohibited.

3. The sale of firearms to any person under the age of 18 shall hereby be prohibited.

Section II: Revising the Bureau of Firearm Safety

1. The Bureau of Firearm Safety (BFS) is to be established.

a. The BFS shall have an NPC Director that is appointed by the Governor. The director shall lead the bureau and is tasked with the hiring of personnel.

b. The BFS shall work in tandem with federal resources to administer and report on firearm Background Checks.

c. The Governor may dissolve and reform the BFS.

Section III: Enactment

1. This act shall take effect upon the appointment of the BFS Director.

Sponsor: PyroTheFox

Debate time for this bill has started and shall last no less than 72 hours
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 05:58:19 PM »

Also, after reading the Legislation introduction thread, SNJC motioned to co-sponsor the bill.

24 hours to object.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 07:52:27 PM »

Thank you, Mr. Speaker.

This is a soft reset of the amended version of LC 2.4. It excludes licensing requirements and other factors present in the rather unsightly Gun Control Act of 2018. This would codify the mandated background check requirement for access to firearms and designate a regional authority to complete and verify these checks. It also formally ends the practice of concealed carry and forbids the sale of guns to minors. Hopefully we can reach unanimous consent on this measure.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 07:54:25 PM »

While a bit underwhelming after the referendum, this bill is still a positive step forward in terms of gun control in Lincoln and I will be more than happy to support it!
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 07:55:58 PM »

Last I checked, banning concealed carry has never been a positive step towards anything...
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 07:34:37 PM »

Last I checked, banning concealed carry has never been a positive step towards anything...

Could you elaborate further on that? I would argue it has a negative effect on perceived public security as it has a snowball effect where you won't feel safe without a gun because you know anyone can have a gun.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 08:01:37 PM »

Could you elaborate further on that? I would argue it has a negative effect on perceived public security as it has a snowball effect where you won't feel safe without a gun because you know anyone can have a gun.

There's plenty of incidents in which a concealed carry permit holder stopped a terrible crime from happening. Just to name a few:

A shooting at a dentist office in Tennessee
Seagroves, a carry permit holder, described for the courtroom what he did that morning once he heard the commotion.

"I got up, I spun around, pulled my revolver, and saw Mr. Weaver with, pointing his gun at Kelly and at Sabrina, and I began firing. I fired three times," Seagroves said. 

In an interview with News Channel 11's Josh Smith on February 13th, Sullivan County Sheriff Jeff Cassidy described Seagroves as a hero.

Shooting at a McDonald's in Alabama
Washington and other workers are now thankful the customer was there at that exact moment.

“He’s my hero,” he said. “Because I can only imagine how it would’ve went if he wasn’t armed. We might not be here having this interview.”

Shooting at a Wal-Mart in Washington
Adams said he then saw a father with his family take out his concealed weapon and shoot the gunman dead.

Shoppers are hailing that man a Father's Day hero.

"He is a hero," Adams said. "He took action. I really think more people could have been shot... he saved us all."

These are just a few of many examples of crimes that are stopped by concealed carry permit holders.

Do you want to know who else you are hurting by banning concealed carry? Women. Especially women who feel they must protect themselves in situations such as domestic violence or rape.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/female-gun-ownership-and-the-rise-of-fashionable-carrywear/
For women who own guns, roughly a quarter of women who own guns say it's solely for protection versus recreation, as opposed to just 8 percent of men, according to the Pew Research Center. 

Lightfoot agrees, saying that she hopes women explore all their options when it comes to their safety. "I think women see all of this, and it's painful to watch to hear about anyone getting hurt or murdered or raped," Lightfoot said. "They're thinking, 'What would I do?'"

"They don't want to rely on a husband or boyfriend or anybody else," said Oliva. "They want to make sure that they're safe."

https://www.gq.com/story/why-women-own-guns
Just about every woman's felt it at one point or another—that flicker of fear for her safety around angry men, and especially angry men with guns. And with good reason: Simply being female increases a person's risk of being stalked or sexually assaulted by someone of the opposite sex. Between 1980 and 2008, 90 percent of homicides, and 92.1 percent of gunhomicides, were committed by men. In mass shootings since 1982, that figure rises to 96.5 percent, according to research done at Mother Jones. For all the strides we've made toward equality, there's still a more violent sex.

Which may be why the makeup of the gun-owning population of the United States is changing

Banning concealed carry won't stop a criminal from concealing a gun. And it won't stop shootings. What it will do is hurt innocent people, especially women.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2019, 02:13:28 PM »

I would like to propose an amendment

Firearms Safety Act

a. In order to purchase a firearm, the prospective consumer must pass this Background Check.

3. The sale of firearms to any person under the age of 18 shall hereby be prohibited.

4. There shall be a ban on the purchasing, sale, or possession of assualt weapons, in the region of Lincoln, these weapons include semiautomatic rifles, pistols, and shotguns, which can accept detachable magazines, as well as revolving cylindrical shotguns

5. Any weapon that is purchased, sold, or possessed may not have a folding or collapsible stock, a bayonet lug, a threaded barrel, a grenade launcher, or a barrel shroud

6. There shall be a ban on the purchasing, sale, or possession of fully automatic weapons, also known as Title II weapons under the National Firearms Act

a. The BFS shall have an NPC Director that is appointed by the Governor. The director shall lead the bureau and is tasked with the hiring of personnel.

b. The BFS shall work in tandem with federal resources to administer and report on firearm Background Checks.

This amendment is designed to get weapons that were designed for killing, finally off of our streets. Assault weapons are not needed for hunting, they are designed to kill, they belong on the battlefield, not on our streets.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2019, 02:34:43 PM »

I would like to propose an amendment

Firearms Safety Act

4. There shall be a ban on the purchasing, sale, or possession of assualt weapons, in the region of Lincoln, these weapons include semiautomatic rifles, pistols, and shotguns, which can accept detachable magazines, as well as revolving cylindrical shotguns

5. Any weapon that is purchased, sold, or possessed may not have a folding or collapsible stock, a bayonet lug, a threaded barrel, a grenade launcher, or a barrel shroud

6. There shall be a ban on the purchasing, sale, or possession of fully automatic weapons, also known as Title II weapons under the National Firearms Act

This amendment is designed to get weapons that were designed for killing, finally off of our streets. Assault weapons are not needed for hunting, they are designed to kill, they belong on the battlefield, not on our streets.

You do realize most "harmless" pistols and hunting rifles are semiautomatic, right? Even many bird hunters use semi-automatic shotguns.

This is effectively a total gun ban.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2019, 02:43:27 PM »

Unfriendly. We need to pass this base safety measure first. One that will pass.
Legislation relating to specific types of weaponry should be introduced separately.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2019, 02:49:32 PM »

Legislation relating to specific types of weaponry should be introduced separately.

I would argue that an assault weapon ban is a basic safety measure, as people do not need to carry around weapons that can allow them to create mass shootings.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2019, 03:03:09 PM »

I would argue that an assault weapon ban is a basic safety measure, as people do not need to carry around weapons that can allow them to create mass shootings.

Would you classify this as an assault weapon that causes mass shootings? Why or why not?:

Source: Ruger Firearms/ruger.com

If you would call this an assault weapon that creates mass shootings, how many mass shootings would you say have been caused by this gun?
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2019, 03:06:47 PM »

Would you classify this as an assault weapon that causes mass shootings? Why or why not?:

If you would call this an assault weapon that creates mass shootings, how many mass shootings would you say have been caused by this gun?

Yes, this is an assault rifle. In fact, it has been used in 12 notable crimes, not to mention the countless times it may have been used, and it went undocumented, This gun warrants a ban

This article below is a good read:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_Mini-14
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2019, 03:17:10 PM »

Yes, this is an assault rifle. In fact, it has been used in 12 notable crimes, not to mention the countless times it may have been used, and it went undocumented, This gun warrants a ban

Literally the only one of those crimes that would be arguably "notable" in recent history is the incident in Oslo, which is last I checked, not here.

However, noting one of the "notable" incidents:
Byron David Smith killings, which occurred on Thanksgiving Day 2012. Smith shot two teenage burglars with his Ruger Mini-14 while they were trying to rob his home.

Good for you that you admit that no one is allowed to protect themselves and their home. Most of us are sensible enough to not defend criminals.

Now, noting that there are only 12 incidents, most of then dating back to the 90s or earlier, can you please note how many exist in circulation that aren't involved in crimes?
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2019, 03:19:11 PM »

Literally the only one of those crimes that would be arguably "notable" in recent history is the incident in Oslo, which is last I checked, not here.

However, noting one of the "notable" incidents:
Byron David Smith killings, which occurred on Thanksgiving Day 2012. Smith shot two teenage burglars with his Ruger Mini-14 while they were trying to rob his home.

Good for you that you admit that no one is allowed to protect themselves and their home. Most of us are sensible enough to not defend criminals.

Now, noting that there are only 12 incidents, most of then dating back to the 90s or earlier, can you please note how many exist in circulation that aren't involved in crimes?

Ummm,
"Smith was found guilty of two counts of first degree murder with premeditation after the jury ruled that Smith's life was not in any danger" (Wikipedia).

Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_Mini-14
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2019, 03:21:30 PM »

Regarding the amendment while I support its aim, I have to agree with the Chancellor that we should concentrate on something simple and 100% constitutional first.

I also wonder if a regional assault weapons ban is constitutional and/or enforceable. Not necesarily because of the equivalent to the 2nd amendment, but because of interregional commerce.

What is stopping Lincoln citizens from going to the South or Fremont, buying guns and bringing them back?
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2019, 03:23:46 PM »

Regarding the amendment while I support its aim, I have to agree with the Chancellor that we should concentrate on something simple and 100% constitutional first.

I also wonder if a regional assault weapons ban is constitutional and/or enforceable. Not necesarily because of the equivalent to the 2nd amendment, but because of interregional commerce.

What is stopping Lincoln citizens from going to the South or Fremont, buying guns and bringing them back?

Well, I've introduced a bill as a citizen, on the federal level, if that passes, I'm more than happy to away with the regional assault weapon and automatic weapon ban
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2019, 03:28:40 PM »

Well, I've introduced a bill as a citizen, on the federal level, if that passes, I'm more than happy to away with the regional assault weapon and automatic weapon ban

It won't.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2019, 03:30:34 PM »

It won't.

I'm sure that the Labor Party Congress will pass it, when they take over
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2019, 03:33:45 PM »

It won't.

I'm sure that the Labor Party Congress will pass it, when they take over

YE and MB are both pro-gun.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2019, 03:42:58 PM »

So I haven't adjusted the numbers yet to account for in game growth, but circa late 2016 early 17 irl there were 4,777,143 concealed weapon permits issued by states in Lincoln. Since then the number has grown although NH and ME went permitless.

So yeah, this bill disarms like 5 million citizens who jumped through every legal hoop required. Michigan in 2016 had 616,508 citizens with concealed carry permits ... 39 of them were convicted of a violent crime that year. So basically this disarms the 99% due to the bad acts of the less than 1%.

This law would guarantee to criminals that victims in public wont have guns and lead to an increase in crime (not even counting the arrests that innocent citizens would face for exercising their Constitutional rights). Btw ... who do cops up north tend to disproportionately stop and frisk? Oh yeah, minorities.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2019, 04:20:28 PM »

So I haven't adjusted the numbers yet to account for in game growth, but circa late 2016 early 17 irl there were 4,777,143 concealed weapon permits issued by states in Lincoln. Since then the number has grown although NH and ME went permitless.

So yeah, this bill disarms like 5 million citizens who jumped through every legal hoop required. Michigan in 2016 had 616,508 citizens with concealed carry permits ... 39 of them were convicted of a violent crime that year. So basically this disarms the 99% due to the bad acts of the less than 1%.

This law would guarantee to criminals that victims in public wont have guns and lead to an increase in crime (not even counting the arrests that innocent citizens would face for exercising their Constitutional rights). Btw ... who do cops up north tend to disproportionately stop and frisk? Oh yeah, minorities.

There is many research showing that guns actually make people less safe, not more.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/more-guns-do-not-stop-more-crimes-evidence-shows/

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/hsph-in-the-news/do-guns-make-us-safer-science-suggests-no/
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2019, 07:27:33 PM »

I like how the racist and sexist Lincoln Council wants to ignore the fact that gun proposals such as the one on the floor will result in more women feeling unsafe and allows for more minorities to be targeted for doing nothing wrong.

This causes more harm for millions of innocent people who have done nothing wrong. That is a fact.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2019, 05:34:46 AM »

I like how the racist and sexist Lincoln Council wants to ignore the fact that gun proposals such as the one on the floor will result in more women feeling unsafe and allows for more minorities to be targeted for doing nothing wrong.

This causes more harm for millions of innocent people who have done nothing wrong. That is a fact.

I do not think you should need a gun to feel secure in the first place. I most certainly do not want to own one and feel secure (circumstances are extremely different I know). If anything, a gun increases the risk of a shootout. I think you are overestimating how many criminals have guns in the first place. I have thankfully never been robbed, but from stories I have heard from friends who have it usually involves a knife or even just a regular fistfight.

As for racial profiling, it is illegal and will continue to be illegal. Maybe an amendment to clarify this would be a good idea?
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2019, 05:43:33 AM »

I do not think you should need a gun to feel secure in the first place. I most certainly do not want to own one and feel secure (circumstances are extremely different I know). If anything, a gun increases the risk of a shootout. I think you are overestimating how many criminals have guns in the first place. I have thankfully never been robbed, but from stories I have heard from friends who have it usually involves a knife or even just a regular fistfight.

As for racial profiling, it is illegal and will continue to be illegal. Maybe an amendment to clarify this would be a good idea?

You might not want a gun to feel safe, however what gives you the right to tell a woman that she cannot obtain a concealed carry permit to feel safe, especially if she wants to do so as a result of rape or domestic violence?

An amendment to clarify anything regarding racial profiling doesnt magically fix the fact that these bans will disproportionately harm minorities. You realize how many instances there are with minorities where cops are under the belief that the person may have a weapon, right?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies