Regarding Personal Attacks
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 11:26:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Regarding Personal Attacks
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Regarding Personal Attacks  (Read 2458 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 23, 2019, 12:46:56 AM »

To make it beyond clear after deleting and infracting a particular post, calling another user the c-word absolutely goes against the ToS - profanity, personal attack and so on - and won't be tolerated on the board regardless of the intention.

I really hope it doesn't happen again.
Attorney General & Senator Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 12:59:26 AM »

While I have strong ideological disagreements with the user that was insulted, the form of attack used was nonsensical, inappropriate, and patently childish, especially considering it was used in the voting booth. This is not acceptable - whether it comes from the left or the right. We are a better game than this.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 01:13:37 AM »

Posting anything other than voting in the booth should be avoided. It used to be grounds for invalidation pre-reset and we should operate under the assumption that it is not to be done, regardless of technical atlasian law.

Your vote is important, you should treat it with respect.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 01:45:38 AM »

I wasn't offended by what ASV posted. Plenty of Atlasians have called me the same, or worse. Just not in a voting booth.

I don't blame Lumine for acting on it, he's just doing his job as a mod. ToS > Atlasia. I'm just curious why it was deleted, rather than edited?
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 01:48:00 AM »

I wasn't offended by what ASV posted. Plenty of Atlasians have called me the same, or worse. Just not in a voting booth.

I don't blame Lumine for acting on it, he's just doing his job as a mod. ToS > Atlasia. I'm just curious why it was deleted, rather than edited?

I'm curious as to why it was deleted given I edited out the profanity from the ballot a few minutes after posting it. Given I edited the censored profanity out why was the post still deleted?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 02:08:11 AM »

My reasoning is, essentially, that a very inappropriate post was made, it was reported by several users as such, and was accordingly deleted and infracted. This rather than let go simply because it was self-edited because that particular logic has become unsuitable after situations such as Matthew's. It is also consistent, I think, with having it made clear before that A. a more vigilant approach was in place and B. that stuff that went beyond the limit would be deleted and infracted on sight.

Even further, the post does come in a particularly sensitive area such as the Voting Booth, where such nonsense is not only against the ToS, but also disruptive to the game itself.

Whereas I'm perfectly content to merely edit (but now infract) a post with profanity within most the boards, it should be noted in this case that it is also a personal attack (with a term we can most agree is commonly frowned upon, to put it mildly), that it is ASV's responsibility to behave in the Voting Booth and not go against the ToS (and I believe he's fully aware of this), and that, speaking from a personal point of view, I am at this point very reluctant to edit/modify someone's else's vote even in this context because of the possible issues involved.

Sometimes moderating will conflict with aspects of the game (Matthew and the recall, ASV and his vote), but as Fhtagn noted, the ToS indeed comes before Atlasia. Not sure if that reasoning is satisfactory - or perhaps too long -, but it is my view of the matter.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2019, 02:55:46 PM »

Bumping this to state it once again, please stop misusing the Voting Booth to post personal attacks or something of the kind.

I really don't like having to take action there, but I think made it fairly clear that it is clearly inappropriate, and what the result will be.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2019, 03:03:08 PM »
« Edited: July 22, 2019, 04:39:14 PM by Lumine »

Bumping this to state it once again, please stop misusing the Voting Booth to post personal attacks or something of the kind.

I really don't like having to take action there, but I think made it fairly clear that it is clearly inappropriate, and what the result will be.

If this decides the election, we'll see you in court.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2019, 03:07:01 PM »

If this decides the election, we'll see you in court for your fraud.

This will be interesting.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2019, 03:07:45 PM »

Let moderators doing their job. Atlas issues > Atlasia issues.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2019, 03:10:03 PM »

To a point yes, but when Lumine is deciding who wins an election, it crosses a line and should lead to in game consequences.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2019, 03:11:33 PM »

I don’t see how my post was a personal attack of any kind. I posted a quote from a movie in the box next to YT, but I don’t think anyone would seriously think it was a personal attack on him.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2019, 03:14:04 PM »

This goes against literally every precedent that’s been set over the last few years on what is and isn’t acceptable in the voting booth. At this rate there will be seven or eight left wing votes being deleted in the midterms.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2019, 03:14:28 PM »

To a point yes, but when Lumine is deciding who wins an election, it crosses a line and should lead to in game consequences.

The bottom line is if something is infractable, action should be taken, so I think calling it "your fraud" is quite abrasive and uncalled for. If that results in changing an election outcome so be it. Now, is there merit for a court case? Perhaps, but that's an entirely separate question not related to this thread.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2019, 03:14:53 PM »
« Edited: July 19, 2019, 03:21:32 PM by Councillor for a Day LouisvilleThunder »

He is a moderator, and his job is to make sure posts don't violate the ToS. This includes posts in voting booths for Atlasia.

Atlas issues =/= Atlasia issues
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2019, 03:16:45 PM »

This goes against literally every precedent that’s been set over the last few years on what is and isn’t acceptable in the voting booth. At this rate there will be seven or eight left wing votes being deleted in the midterms.

This. Reminder that f***  Kingpoleon was left alone in 2016.
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2019, 03:17:13 PM »

Oh please lol. Your Griffin inspired paranoia always amuses me. I mean didn't Lumine delete ASV's ballot for YT against Adam in June. Talk about Lumine being a biased moderator!
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2019, 03:19:41 PM »

I don’t see how my post was a personal attack of any kind. I posted a quote from a movie in the box next to YT, but I don’t think anyone would seriously think it was a personal attack on him.
How did you ever become president and defeat Yankee of all people. You obviously lack the self control to post ballots apparently. Maybe this moderation instance will teach you a lesson in maturity. Not everything in life is a meme. Better to learn it now than later.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2019, 03:21:02 PM »

This. Reminder that f***  Kingpoleon was left alone in 2016.

This is a valid point to be fair. I just think the aggressiveness towards Lumine is a bit overboard and too partisan motivated.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2019, 03:25:52 PM »

And I suppose this will still be used as the justification when Lumine decides that 11th preferencing fhtagn behind a meme write in counts as a personal attack?

I'd argue a meme write in is not a personal attack, so that'd be a problem that would warrant higher escalation of sorts.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2019, 03:27:46 PM »

And I suppose this will still be used as the justification when Lumine decides that 11th preferencing fhtagn behind a meme write in counts as a personal attack?

I'd argue a meme write in is not a personal attack, so that'd be a problem that would warrant higher escalation of sorts.

If Lumine can claim that this ballot is a personal attack, then he can claim that anything is.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2019, 03:30:06 PM »

Oh please lol. Your Griffin inspired paranoia always amuses me. I mean didn't Lumine delete ASV's ballot for YT against Adam in June. Talk about Lumine being a biased moderator!

Yes, because usage of the c word is clearly the equivalent of a meme movie quote.
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2019, 03:31:51 PM »

Yes, because usage of the c word is clearly the equivalent of a meme movie quote.
So if you call a personal attack a meme, does that make it ok?
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2019, 03:32:40 PM »

So if you call a personal attack a meme, does that make it ok?

How exactly is it a personal attack?
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2019, 03:36:39 PM »
« Edited: July 19, 2019, 03:56:06 PM by Speaker YE »

If Lumine can claim that this ballot is a personal attack, then he can claim that anything is.

In the sense that any moderator can in theory infract any post on a board they moderate, sure. I don't think Lumine will infract meme write ins though I may be in the minority here.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies