Regarding Personal Attacks
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 11:35:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Regarding Personal Attacks
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Regarding Personal Attacks  (Read 2529 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2019, 10:19:10 PM »

For the record, many people do prefer a hands-off approach, and a hands-off approach was what your predecessors did (and what you did initially). 

Actually MasterJedi and Gustaf were very hands on, when they were active. For instance, they even adopted a delete on sight policy with regards to posts by Hamilton and Libertas at one point, including procedural posts made by both as members of the NE Assembly.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2019, 11:28:01 AM »

Maybe a better option here would be to work on some legislation to discourage people from using their ballots to throw shade at other users.

Well, Atlasia apparently used to have rules against campaigning in the voting booth, but the Supreme Court found them unconstitutional Tongue

Wait, "used to"? You can campaign in the voting booth now? Huh
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2019, 11:46:58 AM »

I think it's because the rule is hard to enforce. There is no definition of campaining (adding an insult, justify a vote, use the write-in line to write a message).

If we are having problems now I would go back to ballots are to vote only, you can only write names of Atlasian citizens on a ballot. 
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2019, 04:57:43 PM »

Maybe a better option here would be to work on some legislation to discourage people from using their ballots to throw shade at other users.

Well, Atlasia apparently used to have rules against campaigning in the voting booth, but the Supreme Court found them unconstitutional Tongue

Wait, "used to"? You can campaign in the voting booth now? Huh

I think it's because the rule is hard to enforce. There is no definition of campaining (adding an insult, justify a vote, use the write-in line to write a message).

If we are having problems now I would go back to ballots are to vote only, you can only write names of Atlasian citizens on a ballot. 

The current wording of our constitution does not allow us to regulate campaigning in the voting booth, per BK vs Rpryor (2016). The Senate is currently in discussion towards an amendment that would reinstate the rule, albeit under a strict and narrow definition of campaigning.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2019, 07:53:12 PM »

I think this is the text of the proposal.

b. Campaigning shall also be prohibited in the voting booth and shall result in the disqualification of their one's vote. Campaigning shall be defined as an act that, to a neutral observer, would be perceived to be an attempt to convince other voters to vote for or against a particular candidate,  ticket, or referendum. The mere act of preferencing/selecting a candidate, ticket, or option shall not be considered campaigning, even if a comically low preference is given.

I hope we get examples of what will result in invalidation by the SoFE and moderator if this is adopted so the population know what to expect.

I think a comically low preference is campaigning since you are not only ranking candidates you are making a statement / judgement on a candidate.   
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies