Fox News: Black people who have been proven innocent by DNA still=guilty
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:48:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Fox News: Black people who have been proven innocent by DNA still=guilty
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Fox News: Black people who have been proven innocent by DNA still=guilty  (Read 1935 times)
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2019, 03:09:46 PM »

And these are the same people who are ready to say "well, let's not rush to judgment" anytime a Republican is caught doing something wrong. Some Conservatives care nothing about justice when it comes to persons of color or people they don't like.

As much as I hate that there are people in my party like this they aren't even close to being a majority.  Without us evil Republicans the Civil Rights Acts never would have been passed.

That was decades ago. If the Civil Rights Acts had been set to expire in 2019 and were up for renewal today, it's unlikely they would pass through the Senate and get signed into law, at least without some major watering down.

Are you seriously suggesting that there would be less support for civil rights 55 years later?  Both parties are way less racist than they were in 1964.

In your opinion.
Many would say, and point to incidents, that show the Republican Party to be more racist than 1964. Not less.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2019, 03:14:20 PM »

Civil rights are considered by conservatives to be identity politics and minorities being given an unfair advantage, so not it would not be passed today. McConnell wouldn't even bring it to the floor for a vote.

Plenty of Conservatives in 1964 voted for the CRA.  And stop being disingenuous.  When Conservatives decry identity politics, they are talking about things like when college students and staff mindlessly attacking a business on campus because that business was accused of being racist.  Conservatives often oppose things like affirmative action because it is separate treatment based on race.

The mistake that many conservatives make is to act like only 1% of the population is racist.  The mistake that you are making is acting like 50% of the population is racist.  But extremes are obviously wrong.

Most Democrats who voted against the Civil Rights Act were conservative. The Republicans who voted for it are long gone and have no real counterparts left.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2019, 03:18:46 PM »

Civil rights are considered by conservatives to be identity politics and minorities being given an unfair advantage, so not it would not be passed today. McConnell wouldn't even bring it to the floor for a vote.

Plenty of Conservatives in 1964 voted for the CRA.  And stop being disingenuous.  When Conservatives decry identity politics, they are talking about things like when college students and staff mindlessly attacking a business on campus because that business was accused of being racist.  Conservatives often oppose things like affirmative action because it is separate treatment based on race.

The mistake that many conservatives make is to act like only 1% of the population is racist.  The mistake that you are making is acting like 50% of the population is racist.  But extremes are obviously wrong.

Most Democrats who voted against the Civil Rights Act were conservative. The Republicans who voted for it are long gone and have no real counterparts left.

The South is less racist in 2019 than in 1964.  The majority of Southerners today understand that segregation was wrong.  So just because Southerners generally vote Republican doesn't mean the GOP is racist.

Plenty of the Republicans who voted for it were Conservative.
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2019, 03:23:57 PM »

And these are the same people who are ready to say "well, let's not rush to judgment" anytime a Republican is caught doing something wrong. Some Conservatives care nothing about justice when it comes to persons of color or people they don't like.

As much as I hate that there are people in my party like this they aren't even close to being a majority.  Without us evil Republicans the Civil Rights Acts never would have been passed.

That was decades ago. If the Civil Rights Acts had been set to expire in 2019 and were up for renewal today, it's unlikely they would pass through the Senate and get signed into law, at least without some major watering down.

Are you seriously suggesting that there would be less support for civil rights 55 years later?  Both parties are way less racist than they were in 1964.

In your opinion.
Many would say, and point to incidents, that show the Republican Party to be more racist than 1964. Not less.

The numbers don't add up.  Look at any poll comparing attitudes towards race from the 60s to today.  They all show a sea change in how people view race.  The percentage of Republicans who would oppose interracial marriage or not want to have a neighbor who is a different race than themselves can not possibly be anywhere close to where it was 55 years ago.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2019, 03:24:06 PM »

The South is less racist in 2019 than in 1964.  The majority of Southerners today understand that segregation was wrong.  So just because Southerners generally vote Republican doesn't mean the GOP is racist.

Plenty of the Republicans who voted for it were Conservative.

At least 50% of the population is racist, though. And so is the GOP.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2019, 03:56:25 PM »

McConnell probably wouldn't even bring it up for a vote. Liberals in the media would cry and Republican politicians would bask in their tears to look cool to the base. Fox News and talk radio would drone on and on about how racism is dead and they aren't necessary anymore and how blacks just want to be better than whites.

So, yes, I strongly and vehemently stand by my statement that if it the various civil rights acts from the 1960s had to be renewed during the Trump Presidency, they wouldn't be. I do think they would be renewed in some kind of hypothetical national popular vote, but not by the current Congress/president, not without some edits.
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2019, 04:06:55 PM »

McConnell probably wouldn't even bring it up for a vote. Liberals in the media would cry and Republican politicians would bask in their tears to look cool to the base. Fox News and talk radio would drone on and on about how racism is dead and they aren't necessary anymore and how blacks just want to be better than whites.

So, yes, I strongly and vehemently stand by my statement that if it the various civil rights acts from the 1960s had to be renewed during the Trump Presidency, they wouldn't be. I do think they would be renewed in some kind of hypothetical national popular vote, but not by the current Congress/president, not without some edits.

But the CRA was just saying that you have to treat people the same way.  It wasn't affirmative action or slavery reparations.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2019, 04:07:58 PM »

But the CRA was just saying that you have to treat people the same way.  It wasn't affirmative action or slavery reparations.

You're forgetting the current refrain about how racism doesn't exist anymore that Republicans spout. It would not pass the Senate in the current form because it would be "identity politics" and "handouts to minorities" which are considered bad by the party.
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2019, 04:14:37 PM »

You're forgetting the current refrain about how racism doesn't exist anymore that Republicans spout. It would not pass the Senate in the current form because it would be "identity politics" and "handouts to minorities" which are considered bad by the party.

How would continuing the already existing law that simply treats people equally be seen as a handout?  It wouldn't.
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2019, 04:19:07 PM »

I've tried to be polite and respectful during my five years on this forum but several people in this thread are not interested in having a rational discussion.  If you think that more Republicans are racist in 2019 than in 1964 I can't possibly have a worthwhile discussion with you.
We Live in Black and White
SvenTC
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.81, S: -6.82

« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2019, 07:03:54 PM »

I've tried to be polite and respectful during my five years on this forum but several people in this thread are not interested in having a rational discussion.  If you think that more Republicans are racist in 2019 than in 1964 I can't possibly have a worthwhile discussion with you.

Only because you obstinately refuse to see the reality of your own party.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2019, 08:51:22 PM »

Cut the theatrics. I never said Republicans are more racist necessarily in 2019 than 1964. However, it cannot be denied that Republican politicians pander to the worst elements of their base a whole lot more nowadays than they did then.

We both know there is a 100% chance that conservative media sources would be flipping out about how awful the Civil Rights legislation is if it were up for renewal. And we both know that Trump, Mitch, and Senate Republicans dig in harder the more Democrats and liberal media try to shame them. Thus, it is very likely that they would refuse to renew the acts using some kind of "racism isn't a real problem anymore" and "supporters of this are the REAL racists!" BS logic.

(See how Republicans reacted to the Supreme Court striking down the Voting Rights Act if you want a real example. Or how in 2005, 8 Republicans refused to cosponsor a bill saying that lynching was bad. Or how by 2018 when all Republicans did agree to say lynching was bad, the Republican House refused to pass it. As I predicted.)
AtorBoltox

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2019, 08:56:49 PM »

To get back to the Central Park 5, sure they may have been proven innocent by DNA and the real perpetrator may have stepped forward and confessed, but they should known have known better than being black.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2019, 08:57:21 PM »

This is the Republican standard now for non whites. Not just guilty until proven innocent, but guilty even when proven innocent
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2019, 08:59:08 PM »
« Edited: June 21, 2019, 09:04:16 PM by Representative Carpetbagger »

I've tried to be polite and respectful during my five years on this forum but several people in this thread are not interested in having a rational discussion.  If you think that more Republicans are racist in 2019 than in 1964 I can't possibly have a worthwhile discussion with you.

How can either party possibly be more racist than they were 55 years ago?  I'm not denying that the majority of racists vote Republican in 2019.  I'm just saying that the percentage of racists has got to be significantly smaller today than it was back then.

I have two more images but they won't load.  One shows how close to 90% of Americans support Brown v. Board of Education and another showing that the overwhelming majority of Americans are open to voting for a black presidential candidate.  Both of these polls are over 20 years old.
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2019, 09:14:32 PM »

Cut the theatrics. I never said Republicans are more racist necessarily in 2019 than 1964. However, it cannot be denied that Republican politicians pander to the worst elements of their base a whole lot more nowadays than they did then.

We both know there is a 100% chance that conservative media sources would be flipping out about how awful the Civil Rights legislation is if it were up for renewal. And we both know that Trump, Mitch, and Senate Republicans dig in harder the more Democrats and liberal media try to shame them. Thus, it is very likely that they would refuse to renew the acts using some kind of "racism isn't a real problem anymore" and "supporters of this are the REAL racists!" BS logic.

(See how Republicans reacted to the Supreme Court striking down the Voting Rights Act if you want a real example. Or how in 2005, 8 Republicans refused to cosponsor a bill saying that lynching was bad. Or how by 2018 when all Republicans did agree to say lynching was bad, the Republican House refused to pass it. As I predicted.)

Mainstream conservatives believe that race should almost never be a factor in anything.  That's basically what the 1964 CRA says.  Also, it looks like the Democrat-controlled House hasn't passed the bill either.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2019, 06:56:05 PM »
« Edited: June 22, 2019, 07:00:34 PM by Fuzzy Bear »

I've tried to be polite and respectful during my five years on this forum but several people in this thread are not interested in having a rational discussion.  If you think that more Republicans are racist in 2019 than in 1964 I can't possibly have a worthwhile discussion with you.

How can either party possibly be more racist than they were 55 years ago?  I'm not denying that the majority of racists vote Republican in 2019.  I'm just saying that the percentage of racists has got to be significantly smaller today than it was back then.

I have two more images but they won't load.  One shows how close to 90% of Americans support Brown v. Board of Education and another showing that the overwhelming majority of Americans are open to voting for a black presidential candidate.  Both of these polls are over 20 years old.

The parties are less "segregationist".  No one defends segregation any more; it is a non-starter.

The GOP does, sadly, advocate a number of politics that blacks view as "survival issues".  In this category are things such as Voter ID laws, redistricting and gerrymandering, felony voting rights, mass incarceration and inequality in sentencing, and a number of issues in this vein.  There are many nuances to all of these issues, but today's GOP opposes the positions on these issues that blacks support almost reflexively, and they often do so knowing that at least some of these issues will affect the outcome of elections in key states.

Republicans could become more respected by simply being fair.  By dropping their opposition to voting rights, civil rights restoration, fair districts, overcriminalization, and such.  They could repudiate the spirit of the video here.  Trump, himself, could bring about a great deal of good and good will if he were willing to acknowledge some of these issues of basic fairness and lead the GOP to reposition itself.  Trump doesn't need to apologize for the 1993 ad he funded.  But he DOES need to acknowledge and publicly accept the fact that the Central Park 5 defendants have had their convictions thrown out, and accept that as a just verdict.  Sadly, I'm not holding my breath.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2019, 07:22:44 PM »

Mainstream conservatives believe that race should almost never be a factor in anything.  That's basically what the 1964 CRA says.  Also, it looks like the Democrat-controlled House hasn't passed the bill either.

It's working its way through Committees. It will pass. (In fairness, I will publicly eat crow if Pelosi decides to pull it, or if the Democrats vote it down.)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2019, 09:55:01 PM »

I have two more images but they won't load.  One shows how close to 90% of Americans support Brown v. Board of Education and another showing that the overwhelming majority of Americans are open to voting for a black presidential candidate.  Both of these polls are over 20 years old.

The parties are less "segregationist".  No one defends segregation any more; it is a non-starter.

The GOP does, sadly, advocate a number of politics that blacks view as "survival issues".  In this category are things such as Voter ID laws, redistricting and gerrymandering, felony voting rights, mass incarceration and inequality in sentencing, and a number of issues in this vein.  There are many nuances to all of these issues, but today's GOP opposes the positions on these issues that blacks support almost reflexively, and they often do so knowing that at least some of these issues will affect the outcome of elections in key states.

Republicans could become more respected by simply being fair.  By dropping their opposition to voting rights, civil rights restoration, fair districts, overcriminalization, and such.  They could repudiate the spirit of the video here.  Trump, himself, could bring about a great deal of good and good will if he were willing to acknowledge some of these issues of basic fairness and lead the GOP to reposition itself.  Trump doesn't need to apologize for the 1993 ad he funded.  But he DOES need to acknowledge and publicly accept the fact that the Central Park 5 defendants have had their convictions thrown out, and accept that as a just verdict.  Sadly, I'm not holding my breath.

Sadly, fuzzy, it's not a matter of the Republicans either coming to their senses or aggressively standing up to racism both in their party and in the country. Things you describe are part of it active attempt to, as was repeatedly stated during the 2016 campaign, double down on the white vote. The GOP sees its only way to win is doing so, and likewise are attempting every measure possible to decrease the non white share of the electorate.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2019, 10:07:35 PM »

Sadly, fuzzy, it's not a matter of the Republicans either coming to their senses or aggressively standing up to racism both in their party and in the country. Things you describe are part of it active attempt to, as was repeatedly stated during the 2016 campaign, double down on the white vote. The GOP sees its only way to win is doing so, and likewise are attempting every measure possible to decrease the non white share of the electorate.

I'll agree with the latter part, and that's unfortunate.  But the flip side of that coin is the refusal of the Democratic Party to actually enforce our immigration laws.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-swing-the-election/

Let's not kid ourselves.  The GOP certainly wants to keep the electorate white.  The Democrats want to increase the non-white portion of the electorate.  I don't have a problem with the latter if we're talking about Voting Rights enforcement, ending Voter ID laws as we know it, restoring voting rights to former felons, and proposals of this nature.  I'm open to different proposals on immigration provided that such proposals involve effective enforcement of our borders as part of a greater deal that would include, at a minimum, citizenship for the DREAMERS and for all aliens who have served in the military, as well as their families.  (No military veteran with an Honorable Discharge should ever be deported, period.)  But the motivation for Open Borders on the part of Democrats is also with an eye to the electorate and to electoral hegemony.  I don't condone the games the GOP plays with minority voting rights.  But when it comes to border security and motivation for not enforcing the law, the Democrats wish to pee on my leg and tell me that it's raining.  I'm willing to listen to compromises if people will get real about THAT aspect of the immigration issue and renounce it.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2019, 10:10:51 PM »

I'll agree with the latter part, and that's unfortunate.  But the flip side of that coin is the refusal of the Democratic Party to actually enforce our immigration laws.

Let's not kid ourselves.  The GOP certainly wants to keep the electorate white.  The Democrats want to increase the non-white portion of the electorate.  I don't have a problem with the latter if we're talking about Voting Rights enforcement, ending Voter ID laws as we know it, restoring voting rights to former felons, and proposals of this nature.  I'm open to different proposals on immigration provided that such proposals involve effective enforcement of our borders as part of a greater deal that would include, at a minimum, citizenship for the DREAMERS and for all aliens who have served in the military, as well as their families.  (No military veteran with an Honorable Discharge should ever be deported, period.)  But the motivation for Open Borders on the part of Democrats is also with an eye to the electorate and to electoral hegemony.  I don't condone the games the GOP plays with minority voting rights.  But when it comes to border security and motivation for not enforcing the law, the Democrats wish to pee on my leg and tell me that it's raining.  I'm willing to listen to compromises if people will get real about THAT aspect of the immigration issue and renounce it.

If only the Democrats had and enforced internment laws in the 1940s. Am I right?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2019, 10:43:08 PM »

If only the Democrats had and enforced internment laws in the 1940s. Am I right?

Comparing Immigration Laws to the 1940s Internment laws is hilariously a bad comparison.

The 1940s Internment laws mandated that people who were already Citizens, Permanent Residents, Visa Holders be Arrested based on their ethnicity. That is clearly unconstitutional, immoral etc.  On the other hand every nation has the right to decide whom or whom not to allow into their nations and every nation has laws doing so. If you think those are equivalent then you are the one being ignorant.

Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2019, 05:06:32 AM »

Only a privileged white Democrat from the suburbs who knows nothing about African-Americans would claim conservatives are more racist now than when it was basically legal to kill black people 55 years ago. Please log off, renounce your citizenship, and move to Antarctica
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2019, 07:07:55 AM »

What I'm saying is that both parties are motivated to manipulate the demography of America, rather than just let things happen under the law.

I'm not defending this.  This is, indeed, a dangerous place for any nation.  But please, don't tell me that it's only the GOP that is so motivated.  Don't tell me that.  If the GOP view the illegal immigrants as "The Caravan" or "The Horde", Democrats view those crashing our border as a form of "Democrats Abroad".  Neither attitude is good for America because both attitudes place party over country.
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2019, 09:18:24 AM »

I can agree with this.  I just take issue with people taking the words or actions of some Republicans and then say "The GOP is racist!" and then acting like Republicans don't actually care about the economy or foreign policy, only about race.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies