Your view furthest outside the Overton window?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 01:29:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Your view furthest outside the Overton window?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13
Author Topic: Your view furthest outside the Overton window?  (Read 21432 times)
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: July 01, 2019, 06:04:11 PM »

5) Sex between consenting compus mentus adults should be legal. No exceptions. Prostitution should only be illegal if it is coerced.

My problem with this one is, is it really consenting if you are paying someone to consent? I would argue that is closer to bribery than freely given consent.

How is bribery not consensual? You have to consent to take the bribe, that's why people who take them go to jail.

As Santander said (broken clock principle) this isn't any different from getting paid to do a regular job. The only reason anyone does 90% of jobs is because they're getting paid and they wouldn't agree to do it otherwise.
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #151 on: July 01, 2019, 06:09:41 PM »

Also, the idea that Saudi Arabia, a country that no credible source has suggested had nuclear weapons, is just stashing a few imported nukes hidden under a tarp somewhere, is ludicrous. Nukes don't just disappear, and if they did, people would know about it, and even if you did manage to buy them, storing them (let alone using) is not just a matter of putting them in a cool dark place like a f**king bottle of wine.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #152 on: July 01, 2019, 06:15:10 PM »

There should be a 21-year maximum prison sentence for most crimes (except for terrorism and sex crimes) which can then be renewed in five-year increments.

It works in Norway, as recidivism rates are among the lowest in the world, but it would be political suicide to talk about that in the US because most people here want their pound of flesh first and foremost.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #153 on: July 01, 2019, 06:24:29 PM »

Encouraging spaying and neutering of pets is problematic both for dysgenic and animal rights reasons.

I strongly disagree. there's already far too many unwanted and uncared for dogs and cats roaming our streets or living in animal shelters.

It's also dangerous for animals.  My uncle had a huge black lab who he never neutered.  One night the dog got horny, smelled a female, and broke loose from the chain leash keeping him in the backyard and ran for miles into a highway in the dead of night and was struck by a car.  My uncle was devastated and so was the woman who accidentally hit him.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #154 on: July 01, 2019, 06:29:00 PM »

I think most of my views are in the mainstream outside of foreign policy.

I'd say my most "radical" or "edgy" opinion is the fact that I actively am rooting for Iran to get the bomb. I think it'd balance things out in the Middle East, all things considered.

You are so dumb.
You really buy into the whole "teh Mullahs are gonnuh nuke teh Israelis on day one!" argument? The Pakistanis have nukes. The Israelis have hundreds of them. I'm sure the Saudis have a few loose warheads hidden somewhere that they've bought. It only makes sense that Iran should have their own nuclear deterrent.

The whole idea of MAD was built around a small number of countries on opposing sides having nukes and keeping each other from using them as a deterrent. The more countries have them, the greater the odds someone will use them. If Iran gets nukes everyone in the middle east is going to want them. That part of the world doesn't fit neatly into bipolar Cold War politics. The chance of nuclear war will be at an all time high with a nuclear middle east.

Add to that that these are not stable governments and it is within the realm of possibility that Taliban/ISIS tier religious fanatics could take over somewhere and then have access to nuclear weapons if the country has them.  

Indeed, which is why Israel should get rid of its nukes too.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #155 on: July 02, 2019, 08:51:14 AM »

5) Sex between consenting compus mentus adults should be legal. No exceptions. Prostitution should only be illegal if it is coerced.

My problem with this one is, is it really consenting if you are paying someone to consent? I would argue that is closer to bribery than freely given consent.

Your employer pays you to work. That is consensual, no? There is no meaningful difference here in principle, it's just that the job in question is dirty and there are lots of unsavory characters around it.

Pretty much. Then again, every "active" boy in college (or upperclassman in HS) or single guy out in the world has some story to tell that can be construed by a reasonable amount of people as being "prostitution". Especially on the apps.

Sure its not money, but its everything from energy drinks, reservations at the place with the $30 cup of soup that you can't even get a seat at the bar if you show up 30 minutes early, to gas.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #156 on: July 02, 2019, 09:43:31 AM »

Instead of jail, slavery is an acceptable form of punishment for a crime.
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #157 on: July 02, 2019, 10:00:21 AM »
« Edited: July 03, 2019, 05:42:28 AM by Celes »

Inheritance past reasonable funeral and end-of-life expenses should be taxed at 80% and that money should be used to fund public schools, and transportation and meals for public school students. If there's any left over, it should be used for a means-tested, FAFSA-like universal basic income program for all public school students between the ages of 12 and 17, to be put into a trust and finally dispensed upon entering college or turning 18.

Institutionalized K-12 private education should be banned, outside of subject-specific tutoring and homeschooling.

We should ban construction of any new golf courses nationwide. We should allow existing ones to be maintained.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #158 on: July 02, 2019, 03:01:05 PM »

There should be a 21-year maximum prison sentence for most crimes (except for terrorism and sex crimes) which can then be renewed in five-year increments.

It works in Norway, as recidivism rates are among the lowest in the world, but it would be political suicide to talk about that in the US because most people here want their pound of flesh first and foremost.

How are sex crimes worse than murder?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #159 on: July 02, 2019, 03:10:33 PM »
« Edited: July 02, 2019, 03:14:59 PM by Warren Peace🦋 »

How are sex crimes worse than murder?

Because sex offenders are much more likely to reoffend than murderers are and are therefore more justified in being kept out of society than the latter is.  Case in point: murderers commit their crimes out of personal dispute, much less to appease their own sick fantasies and pleasures.

Consider that in most states one case of first-degree murder is enough to get a person life in prison, whereas raping and scarring a child can only get you maybe 20 years in jail and a lifetime on the sex offender registry.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #160 on: July 02, 2019, 08:17:22 PM »

We should ban construction of any new golf courses nationwide.

For environmental reasons or what?
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #161 on: July 02, 2019, 10:36:19 PM »

Golf courses attract undesirables to my community. I don't have to tell you how these types affect a neighborhood once they move in. It's always the same kind of story; a golf course pops up, and soon half the town is sporting gang symbols-- polo players on their shirts and pleated khakis. White-collar crime spikes the moment those hoodlums start their shenanigans. You know the type-- driving around in their tacky Cadillac Escalades and blasting talk radio. No, we'd be better off without them.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #162 on: July 02, 2019, 11:23:44 PM »

TBH I regret attacking anyone here for any view expressed here besides Lu who is a genocide denier.

This thread should generally be a safe place for most views to a degree.
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #163 on: July 03, 2019, 07:25:30 AM »

Bars should legally be required to give 50% discounts at all times to anyone wearing a Dokken shirt.

Golf courses attract undesirables to my community. I don't have to tell you how these types affect a neighborhood once they move in. It's always the same kind of story; a golf course pops up, and soon half the town is sporting gang symbols-- polo players on their shirts and pleated khakis. White-collar crime spikes the moment those hoodlums start their shenanigans. You know the type-- driving around in their tacky Cadillac Escalades and blasting talk radio. No, we'd be better off without them.

This, and because golf is perfect as it is. We need to legally enshrine the state of the game as it is now to preserve it for future generations. That, and I want to piss off rich people.

Unironically, golf courses are comparable to parks in value except they're much more expensive to maintain and not as many people use them. They're fine to a point but they're not all that beneficial. We should be expanding and promoting recreation in land not pre-developed for a specific hobby, and golf would be in no danger of going anywhere if we were to stop building so many golf courses. I'm sure a couple new ones would be built somehow by skirting regulations, and as long as it weren't rampant, the outcome wouldn't be terrible or anything.

Society would greatly benefit from more individuals getting in touch with actual nature as recreation, rather than using nature as a field for gaming.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #164 on: July 06, 2019, 02:57:11 PM »

Execution as punishment for major white collar crimes.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #165 on: July 06, 2019, 03:16:33 PM »

The income tax should be abolished
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #166 on: July 06, 2019, 06:30:21 PM »

If a computer program sold as a physical product (like a disc or cartridge) cannot be reliably purchased on any online retail sales website or retail sales store or downloadable digital service either new or used for the either the same price or a lower price than what the original new product was sold at in retail, then the presumption should exist that the company owning the copyright to the code has forfeited it to the public domain for not keeping supply as high as demand clearly is.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #167 on: July 06, 2019, 07:54:44 PM »

If a computer program sold as a physical product (like a disc or cartridge) cannot be reliably purchased on any online retail sales website or retail sales store or downloadable digital service either new or used for the either the same price or a lower price than what the original new product was sold at in retail, then the presumption should exist that the company owning the copyright to the code has forfeited it to the public domain for not keeping supply as high as demand clearly is.

I actually don't disagree with this, it's basically my own personal ethical guideline about when digital piracy is okay.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #168 on: July 06, 2019, 08:01:54 PM »

If your parents forced you into smokey restaurants before the indoor smoking bans, you should be able to sue your parents.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #169 on: July 07, 2019, 10:44:52 AM »

No Sales tax online.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #170 on: July 07, 2019, 02:06:31 PM »

It should never be socially acceptable to consume any alcohol in any context
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #171 on: July 07, 2019, 02:07:32 PM »

Your views are perfectly within the norm in government in Saudi Arabia and Iran. Congratulations.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #172 on: July 07, 2019, 02:34:22 PM »

I think having a massive UMC (upper middle class), as well as a society that nearly exclusively promotes an UMC lifestyle is pretty immoral (this group also has historically had too large an impact on politics and advertisement targeting, but I don't think you can deal with either problem without unintended consequences). A lot of progressive taxation rhetoric is geared towards the extremely wealthy (say the top 1%-top 0.01%), but I think in general the top 10%-15% needs to be a larger target.

(At the same time, and this is something that is not far outside of the Overton window, I think the 'unwilling to work' crowd are an abomination.)

The impact of generational wealth is overstated.
i'm not against raising taxes on the wealthy in the abstract. although i think some taxes like estate tax are overly convoluted or have unintended consequences that make them probably not worth it on balance. it depends on the particulars i guess
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #173 on: July 07, 2019, 03:31:04 PM »

Jesus Christ drank wine, HP.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #174 on: July 07, 2019, 06:09:59 PM »

It's too late to do anything about climate change.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies