Copyright Policy (UPDATED: ALL PLAYERS READ!)

(1/1)

Lumine:
Gentlemen,

As some of you may be aware there have been some issues with the copyright of pictures that are posted on the forum, and the policy has been amended accordingly by Dave himself. As he stated only images that are created by users or confirmed to be in the public domain can be used (they must be referenced and attributed). As made clear elsewhere, watermarked images are under no circumstances to be used.

I'm aware, of course, that adapting to this will have its issues because of the nature of the board and because the games themselves do tend to be far more satisfactory when the right image can be used (trust me, I know). But, this is a very relevant policy, it must and it WILL be enforced. Once I find the time I'll go over past threads to start removing problematic images, but from now on the use of pictures must adapt to the new policy.

Quote from: Dave Leip on June 13, 2019, 05:25:33 PM

Hi -
You may post content you create or images that are confirmed in the public domain.  All images posted in threads need to include license information and attribution like:

President Bush Nominates Henry Paulson as Treasury Secretary 2
Shealah Craighead [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

Please follow this example.  
Thanks,
Dave

I won't mind if you use that template as a footnote for example, but be warned that failing to follow the policy will result in an infraction.

Dereich:
Friends,

I know this will be unpopular but I really am going to have to start taking more action on the photographs used on this board, as I've been seeing a lot of images not allowed under the policy. This is especially relevant for people playing or hosting a game involving modern politicians.

The requirement is NOT that any image must be attributed. Per Dave's instructions, if you want to include an image, it must be either User Created or In the Public Domain. Attributing a copyrighted photo does not make it ok to use.

Public Domain images include:

Things created by the government.
Images under a Creative Commons License (this is usually where Wikimedia Commons comes in)
Works where the copyright has expired (mostly images of works created prior to 1923)

A great way to find public domain images is through Google Images and clicking either Tools or Advanced Image Search. Just sort for "Labeled for non-commercial use" and you should be good to go. For example, if I wanted a public domain photograph of Marco Rubio I would get this.

GoTfan:
And yet people wonder why there has been a reduction in attempted games.

Navigation

[0] Message Index