Most successful & effective former US State Governors
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:08:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Most successful & effective former US State Governors
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who were the most Successful & Effective former US State Governors ?
Former CA Governor Edmund Gerald "Moonbeam" Brown, Jr., (D)

Former TX Governor Rick Perry (R)

Former NV Governor Brian Sandoval (R)

Former CO Governor John Hickenlooper (D)

Former ID Governor Butch Otter (R)

The late FL Governor Lawton Chiles (D)

Former FL Governor Jeb Bush (R)

Former GA Governor Zell Miller (D)

Former VA Governor Mark Warner (D)

Former NC Governor James Baxter Hunt (D)

Former MI Governor William Milliken (R)

Former TX Governor George W. Bush (R)

Former LA Governor Edwin Edwards (D)

Former IL Governor James R. "Big Jim" Thompson (R)

Former FL Governor Reuben Askew (D)

Former LA Governor Mike Foster (R)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: Most successful & effective former US State Governors  (Read 998 times)
LoneStarDem
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 09, 2019, 01:21:05 PM »

Good afternoon everyone. Who do y'all see as the most successful & effective former US State Governors over the years & why ?
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 01:45:52 PM »

Dubya for Republicans, and Brown (second stint) for Democrats. If Jerry Brown were 10-15 years younger, he'd easily be a top presidential contender.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 01:47:42 PM »

The Bush brothers for Republicans and Brown for Democrats.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2019, 01:56:42 PM »

Jerry Brown
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 02:49:44 PM »

Edmund Gerald Brown Jr.

Not even close, he was one of the best governors in US history. A massive freedom fighter.
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 03:41:16 PM »

Gov. Hugh L. Carey (D-NY), who was Governor of New York from 1975-1983.

Governor Carey presided over New York during years of a divided legislature.  He was the driving force behind the measures that resolved New York City's fiscal crisis in the mid-1970s, enabling it to avoid default and bankruptcy.  He was a Labor-Liberal Democrat with a conservative persona who governed New York and resolved the major issues of New York City's fiscal crisis and it's transit strikes, both of which had the potential to cripple New York City.

There are very few public officials that I have had more respect for than I do for Hugh Carey.  He governed in ways that were not designed to be popular.  He was not overly popular with most Democratic politicians, in that he didn't give them everything they wanted.  (I was a member of my county's Democratic Committee during Carey's Administration, and can vouch for the opinion of insiders; Carey appointed my County Chairman the Chairman of the State Committee.)  He brought New York through a very difficult time and he did so by making necessary compromises in order to foster needed achievement to ensure that New York City did not go down the fiscal drain, taking the rest of New York State with it. 

Carey left office with low popularity.  He was considered not likely to win a third term, and he married a woman late in his second term (whom he later divorced) who appeared to be something of an influence seeker; this drove his popularity even lower.  That was too bad; he was the responsible leader that would have been an excellent President if he had sought the position.  He represented the best of responsible liberalism.  There have been too few public officials like him in either party.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2019, 04:26:10 PM »

Floyd Olson
Huey Long
Rick Scott (I mean with a criminal record like that, youve got to admire him)
LoneStarDem
United States
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2019, 05:24:21 PM »

Gov. Hugh L. Carey (D-NY), who was Governor of New York from 1975-1983.

Governor Carey presided over New York during years of a divided legislature.  He was the driving force behind the measures that resolved New York City's fiscal crisis in the mid-1970s, enabling it to avoid default and bankruptcy.  He was a Labor-Liberal Democrat with a conservative persona who governed New York and resolved the major issues of New York City's fiscal crisis and it's transit strikes, both of which had the potential to cripple New York City.

There are very few public officials that I have had more respect for than I do for Hugh Carey.  He governed in ways that were not designed to be popular.  He was not overly popular with most Democratic politicians, in that he didn't give them everything they wanted.  (I was a member of my county's Democratic Committee during Carey's Administration, and can vouch for the opinion of insiders; Carey appointed my County Chairman the Chairman of the State Committee.)  He brought New York through a very difficult time and he did so by making necessary compromises in order to foster needed achievement to ensure that New York City did not go down the fiscal drain, taking the rest of New York State with it. 

Carey left office with low popularity.  He was considered not likely to win a third term, and he married a woman late in his second term (whom he later divorced) who appeared to be something of an influence seeker; this drove his popularity even lower.  That was too bad; he was the responsible leader that would have been an excellent President if he had sought the position.  He represented the best of responsible liberalism.  There have been too few public officials like him in either party.

Is the controversial marriage the reason why Carey did NOT seek reelection in 1982 ?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2019, 09:30:15 AM »

Mario Cuomo was also a great governor and would have been a fantastic president.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2019, 10:54:35 AM »

Iirc, reubin Askew was listed in a Harvard study among the top 10 most effective governors in the 20th century. I think a similar study ranked Bob Graham as a similarly effective governor.

Also agree with both Browns in California.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2019, 11:08:24 AM »

Jim Hunt and Jerry Brown, in part to their long tenures.  There's no geographic or other organic reason for NC success in going from a poor tobacco-textile state to the Research Triangle-Charlotte dominated economy of today and while the seeds were planted prior to his tenure he certainly was instrumental in it's growth, especially given the Neanderthal elements that still exist in the state.

California is a huge state that has assimilated a huge influx of people and while it does have some geographic and organic advantages, Jerry clearly has been the most skilled at managing the excess.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2019, 12:08:49 PM »

Mark Dayton should be on here too.
LoneStarDem
United States
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2019, 07:51:24 AM »

Iirc, reubin Askew was listed in a Harvard study among the top 10 most effective governors in the 20th century. I think a similar study ranked Bob Graham as a similarly effective governor.

Also agree with both Browns in California.

Askew is listed.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2019, 03:24:03 PM »

The Bush's are excellent administrators.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies