Office of Harry S Truman
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:29:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Office of Harry S Truman
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10
Author Topic: Office of Harry S Truman  (Read 12617 times)
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2020, 12:21:10 AM »
« edited: June 22, 2020, 12:26:53 AM by Unconditional Surrender Truman »

22 June 2020

In the presidential election this weekend, 98% of voters chose a Frémonter president, compared to 2% who preferred a Southern president. Meanwhile, two-thirds of the votes for vice president went to Frémonters and expatriates. As we congratulate the winners this weekend, we must strive to answer this mandate for strong Frémontian leadership. Since the general election, my government has passed sweeping legislation to support the transition to a green energy economy and roll back authoritarian local rules. We will redouble our efforts in criminal justice reform and education in the coming weeks as we continue to build a fair society for all Frémonters that serves as an example for the entire nation!

Special congratulations to Devout Centrist, who returns to speak for Frémonters in the Senate; to MFP Ted Bessell, who leaves parliament to fight for progressive change in the House of Representatives; to the new glorious Peace, Labor, Law and Justice congressional supermajority (including further Frémonter members SevenEleven, HCP, and Encke); and to our own President Pericles, who is reelected with the largest head-to-head percentage of any candidate since October 2013!

Solidarity forever!

Harry S Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #76 on: June 23, 2020, 12:23:55 AM »

23 June 2020

I am very glad indeed to have just signed into law the Animal Lives Matter Act, which places a moratorium on all unnecessary euthanasias in animal shelters and veterinary hospitals, effective immediately. This prudent and humane measure received the unanimous support of parliament to end a cruel and uncivilized practice in favor of the compassionate treatment of all living creatures. With the report of the pontifex maximus earlier this year to the effect that well over a million animals are euthanized annually in Atlasia, Frémont is doing its part to see to it that no animal suffers an early death.

Gloria Frémontis!

Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #77 on: July 03, 2020, 03:53:36 PM »

Scott is appointed to the Frémont Parliament to fill the seat vacated by Ted Bessell.

Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #78 on: July 04, 2020, 10:03:31 PM »

4 July 2020

Tonight, we celebrate our independence, not with a military parade down Pennsylvania Avenue or an pompous tribute to the mortal who sits in the seat of power, but with the humble ceremonies of a free people —with games, sports, bells, bonfires, and illumination from one end of the continent to the other. This day serves as a reminder of that fact for which our forbearers went to war in 1776, and what successive generations of brave Atlasians have struggled and sacrificed since: this country belongs to the people, its institutions made of, by, and for the people, its object the preservation of their liberty and the extension to all people the promise that was made by fifty-six men in Philadelphia twelve score and four years ago: that this can be, must be, a country where all people are equal, and where all are judged not by the color of their skin, but by the contents of their character.

We have a long way to go in this country. We still live in the long shadow of our history; but for every injury of the past, for every injustice of the present, I find new cause for hope in the heroism of those Atlasians, living and dead, who have refused to accept Thomas Jefferson's idea as an impossibility; in the fact that for every villain in our history, there is another who was willing to dedicate their life to carrying the Atlasian ideal one step closer to completion. Though we have struggled for two hundred years, and may struggle for two hundred more, so long as the people carry in their hearts the knowledge that here, all men are created equal, injustice will never mean defeat, but an obstacle in the long march towards freedom.

E pluribus unum!

Harry S Truman, first minister
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #79 on: July 07, 2020, 05:50:37 PM »

Beautifully put!
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #80 on: August 10, 2020, 11:51:42 PM »

Mr. Attorney General,
I would like to request that you order the Department of Justice to enforce the provision of federal law stating that "Except in an emergency, intercity and commuter rail passenger transportation provided by or for Amtrak has preference over freight transportation in using a rail line, junction, or crossing." (Source). The lack of enforcement of this law has lead to chronic delays on Amtrak, soiling the reputation of passenger rail in the minds of many Atlasians. In the interests of promoting the highly efficient and environmentally friendly option of rail travel, I hope to see this issue resolved.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #81 on: September 09, 2020, 09:01:57 PM »

By the authority vested in me by Article I§8 of the Second Constitution of the Commonwealth of Frémont as first minister thereof, I, Harry S Truman, nominate Siren to assume the parliamentary seat vacated by PSOL pending a by-election commencing 18 September instant.

Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2020, 06:54:58 PM »

By the authority vested in me by Article I§8 of the Second Constitution of the Commonwealth of Frémont as first minister thereof, I, Harry S Truman, nominate Ontario Progressive to assume the parliamentary seat vacated by Scott pending a by-election commencing 23 October.

Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #83 on: December 02, 2020, 12:57:22 AM »

2 December 2020

This evening, on behalf of the nation, the president extended Atlasian diplomatic recognition to the transitional government of Acting President Gerta Baer. As Atlasian Secretary of State at the time of the coup d'état against President von Bongbong, I would like to personally and as a member of the cabinet extend my support to the transitional government and call upon Mr. von Kummerspeck to stand aside. Now is the time for all nations to stand on the side of democracy and against the cruel and dictatorial regime that is now struggling to hold onto power in Europe's smallest but no less beloved state.

Harry S Truman, first minister & Attorney General
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #84 on: December 19, 2020, 03:49:35 PM »

By the authority vested in me by Article I§8 of the Second Constitution of the Commonwealth of Frémont as first minister thereof, I, Harry S Truman, nominate YE to assume the parliamentary seat vacated by Oregon Blue Dog pending a by-election commencing 22 January 2021.

Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #85 on: December 30, 2020, 10:51:41 PM »

30 December 2020

Yesterday evening, agents of the Federal Bureau of Investigation acting under my orders and with the express support of President MB foiled the attempted kidnapping of Governor Benson by the terrorist organization calling themselves "the Pathfinders." The perpetrators of the plot are now in custody and awaiting charges. These arrests are the result of a successful months-long operation by the Department of Justice and the FBI to infiltrate and suppress terrorist groups operating in Kansas. We thank Governor Benson, the Kansan authorities, and leaders of the irredentist and unionist campaigns for their cooperation in this matter.

I wish it to be made perfectly plain to all Kansans listening tonight, that this administration will not tolerate violence and lawlessness. Obedience to the rule of law is the first principle to which we must all adhere. Those who would stray from this course are not patriots, nor are they freedom fighters: they are criminals —and while I hold this office I will not suffer any of them to endanger the lives of our fellow citizens or the stability of our government.

In the coming days I will be in discussion with the president with regards to the fate of these conspirators.

My best wishes to the governor and his family, and to the people of Kansas, in this difficult hour.

Harry S Truman, Attorney General
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #86 on: January 22, 2021, 07:56:24 AM »

Because you did not specify whether you wanted to run in the by-election or the general election next month. In lieu of such a specification, I assume a declaring candidate intends to run in the next general election and not in any intervening by-elections.

In the future (talking to everyone now), please bring questions like this to my attention via forum PM, Discord, or a post in this thread. Technically all posts in the voting booth are counted as ballots (even if deleted) and I will now need to consult the statute to see if I can legally count Laki's vote presuming he casts one.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #87 on: January 22, 2021, 08:25:28 AM »

Because you did not specify whether you wanted to run in the by-election or the general election next month. In lieu of such a specification, I assume a declaring candidate intends to run in the next general election and not in any intervening by-elections.

In the future (talking to everyone now), please bring questions like this to my attention via forum PM, Discord, or a post in this thread. Technically all posts in the voting booth are counted as ballots (even if deleted) and I will now need to consult the statute to see if I can legally count Laki's vote presuming he casts one.
Nevermind, i thought this was a general election, but can it be signified better whether the election is a general or a by-election?

I'm not running for this election.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #88 on: January 22, 2021, 08:47:26 AM »

Nevermind, i thought this was a general election, but can it be signified better whether the election is a general or a by-election?

I'm not running for this election.
I will make a note of it.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #89 on: February 01, 2021, 03:05:27 PM »

1 February 2021

The first priority of this government for the next six months will be the speedy, orderly, and universal immunization of the people of Frémont against COVID-19.

This massive undertaking, proceeding in concert with the advice and support of federal authorities, will begin immediately, and utilize the full might of the commonwealth, and every resource at our disposal.

A little more than fourteen hours ago, I signed FT 18.08—the COVID-19 Vaccine Promotion and Distribution Act—which was approved by a unanimous vote of parliament yesterday. This act, framed in accordance with the recommendations of the Office of the Attorney General, will provide the blueprint for our regional rollout.

Our initial short-term aim is to have fully vaccinated all persons eligible in the first tier under §3(3) of the distribution act no later than 15 March, with the ultimate goal of achieving herd immunity by 1 September —to facilitate which, I issue the following proclamation.

I, Harry S Truman, by the authority vested in my as first minister of Frémont by the laws and constitution thereof, direct the Ministry of Health and Human Services (HHS) to establish distribution centers in every county and state of this commonwealth, in sufficient numbers that there is at least one center for every 10,000 residents, and within 10 miles of every town of more than 100 residents. HHS should partner with local pharmacies and nursing homes in service to this end.

And I further direct HHS to develop the means for in-home vaccinations for persons too ill or otherwise unable to travel.

I hereby mobilize the National Guards of the states of Alaska, Arizona, Atlasian Samoa, California, Colorado, Guam, Hawai'i, Idaho, Iowa, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, the Northern Mariana Islands, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming to support this order by the establishment and staffing of distribution centers, transport, storage, and distribution of doses, and all other needful measures.

Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #90 on: February 14, 2021, 10:06:11 PM »

I, Harry S Truman, by the authority vested in my as first minister of Frémont by the laws and constitution thereof, appoint FalterinArc of the State of Washington to the Senate seat vacated by Scott, pending a by-election beginning the 19th instant.

Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #91 on: March 19, 2021, 07:56:39 PM »
« Edited: March 19, 2021, 09:12:42 PM by Unconditional Surrender Truman »

19 March 2021

Moments ago, the house voted to pass FT–19.05 to repeal and replace the Preventing Atlasian Anti-Choice Coercion Act —a measure which has been in place since 2017, when it was introduced by the friends of the government in response to the infamous global gag rule. That so-called policy, which was enforced by Federalist presidents from 2017 to 2019, targets global health organizations who advise women seeking abortions in a ham-fisted attempt to impose their social agenda by the strength of the almighty dollar. The principle behind the original act was to guarantee that organizations affected by the gag can continue their vital work by providing that whenever the federal government of Atlasia shall restrict funding for these organizations, the government of Frémont will step in to make up the difference.

This guarantee is essential: because global health workers must know the money they need to do their jobs will be there no matter what. The work these organizations do is too important to be held hostage by parliamentary intrigue and party agendas. No doctor should ever have to chose between dispensing good medical advice and matching the ideological temper of the president of the day. Therefore, the PAACCA made its appropriations automatic: whenever the global gag rule is in place federally, Frémont will open her coffers to replace the rescinded funds, without delay or obfuscation from parliament or this office.

The long title of FT–19.05 is the “Act to revise the Preventing Atlasian Anti-Choice Coercion Act” —but it does far more than revise. Its actual effect is to subvert the original principle of the 2017 act. In place of the certain guarantee of the commonwealth under the PAACCA, it leaves the uncertain possibility that parliament may chose to honor their promises. In place of the $600 million commitment under the PAACCAA, it leaves a $500,000 commitment. Its effect is to distance Frémont from her original commitment and to cut global health funding $100,000 whenever the global gag rule is in force.

The effect of these changes is to reintroduce the element of uncertainty in the decisions by global health organizations to advise their patients seeking abortions. It is just such uncertainty that the global gag rule seeks to instill, and thereby to silence doctors and health workers who are led to fear that giving sound medical advice may cause their organizations to lose hundreds of millions of dollars in critical funding.

The sponsor of this legislation, an honorable and excellent member of parliament, defended these changes with a single sentence in which he accused this government of imposing a “reverse gag rule.” He has failed to explain these comments or to offer any response to the arguments against his bill during debate. In fact, no member has offered one word of support for this measure beyond the single sentence of the honorable member from New Mexico.

Furthermore, the members who provided the decisive votes to pass this legislation have stated on the record that they have no strong feelings regarding the bill and do not understand the full implications of its provisions. This is hardly a ringing endorsement for what amounts to a drastic change to government policy that has been in place for most of the last four years.

For the first minister to interpose to prevent execution of an act of parliament is an extraordinary step. In light of these circumstances, I believe this step is warranted.

Therefore, I announce my intent to veto FT–19.05 as option afforded to me by Article I§6 of the constitution; and declare that a referendum to sustain or overturn my veto will begin at midnight on Friday the 26th instant, and continue until 72 hours hence.

This government will never walk away from its commitment to advance the cause of women’s health, and we will fight this measure with every power afforded to us by the law and the constitution.

Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #92 on: April 07, 2021, 06:05:34 PM »

7 April 2021

I do not normally make remarks with these appointments. But Frémont has a long and proud tradition of united government: while other regions divide themselves between government and opposition and proceed to tear one another apart, Frémont has always maintained a spirit of cooperation and common purpose between all parties in parliament, even if we sometimes vote different ways. Some of the greatest and most progressive achievements of this government—the collectivization of energy, the reform of higher education, and the battle for freedom in Kansas—were passed by unanimous votes, with buy-in from left, right, and center. We jealously guard our unique cultural heritage which makes us Frémonters first and above all.

Lumine exemplifies this spirit of Frémontian exceptionalism like few others, and it is with great satisfaction that I welcome him back to parliament.

I, Harry S Truman, by the authority vested in my as first minister of Frémont by the laws and constitution thereof, appoint LumineVonReuental of the territory of Gibraltar to the parliamentary seat vacated by FDB, pending a by-election beginning the 23rd instant.

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #93 on: April 07, 2021, 07:01:03 PM »

Thank you, First Minister! Will do my best to represent the Commonwealth.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #94 on: May 01, 2021, 07:13:56 PM »

1 May 2021

Our hearts are in Chicago today.

At the end of the longest fourteen months many of our people can remember —in the daylight hours of a new spring —we each of us still stand in testament to the incredible work which our doctors and nurses, our medical workers, our teachers, our essential workers, and millions upon millions of ordinary Frémonters have done for the sake of their families, their neighbors, and millions they will never meet who live because of what we have done together.

We do not forget that the plenty we enjoy today was created by the sweat and toil of the farmers and working people of the West, whose daily efforts are the foundation for all of our great works.

Nor do we forget our unions, whose tireless advocacy on behalf of the workers to keep for them their just reward has banished forever the monopoly of capital and brought forward the dawn of a new era and a new society founded on compassion, integrity, and justice.

We are not done, we will not rest, we will not turn back, until every Frémonter has the right to sleep under their own roof and eat bread from their own table.

On behalf of the Labor party and the people's government in Denver, to the workers of the West, I wish you all a very happy May Day.

Solidarity Forever!

Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #95 on: May 10, 2021, 08:52:01 PM »

10 May 2021

I condemn in the strongest terms the governor of Utah, Mr. Udall, for his incompetent handling of public records related to the COVID-19 pandemic, and I disavow his administration. I confirm that the decision to withhold vital statistics was made without my knowledge, and had I known I would have immediately instructed the governor to hand over the true numbers. This government does not need to falsify evidence to project strength, and it is an insult to the brave men and women working on the front lines of our pandemic response for the governor to suggest that their achievements are somehow diminished by honesty on the part of his office.

There is no place for such ineptitude and poor judgement in the Labor party, and I call on the governor to immediately resign and withdraw from the election. If he does not, he should be impeached.

Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #96 on: July 02, 2021, 08:57:34 PM »

I, Harry S Truman, by the authority vested in my as first minister of Frémont by the laws and constitution thereof, appoint Kuumo of the State of Idaho to the Senate seat forfeited by SevenEleven, pending a by-election beginning the 9th instant.

Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #97 on: September 16, 2021, 05:39:27 PM »

September 16, 2021

lol, okay.

Who the f knows if any of this is really happening (would be nice to have a word from the GM right about now!), but just in case —in light of recent saber-rattling —I have ordered the Frémont National Guard to assume defensive positions along our eastern border. Y'all keep that nonsense on your side of the Mississippi.

This morning I met with the adjutant-general in Denver. We discussed our commitment to the constitution and the federal Union and the most appropriate measures for the maintenance of peace, security, and the rule of law. Rest assured that this government is closely monitoring the unfolding situation in Lincoln and in other states and will take all lawful and necessary steps to secure the liberty of its people against traitors and tyrants.

This government is working in close contact with local officials to determine the needs of vulnerable communities in this uncertain hour. Our paramount aim in these conversations is to ensure uninterrupted access to essential services and the safety of civilians.

Know that the parliament remains in Denver and the constitutional authority remains in full force. This government will not panic, will not resort to hasty oaths and recriminations, but will keep faith with the people, and will continue, calmly and collectedly, to discharge its duties under the constitution in accordance with the principles of wisdom and justice.

The people, the parliament, and the constitution!

Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #98 on: September 26, 2021, 01:49:51 PM »

26 September 2021

This morning, the lawless thug calling himself "governor" of the South, Lazy Louis, issued an order directing the Southern national guards to harass and arrest the travel of our senator from Frémont through the Southern states.

This illegal and unconstitutional order is the product of an insidious Southern plot to undermine the foundations of liberty in Frémont, and to deny us the exercise of our rights and privileges guaranteed to us by the constitution.

The freedom of movement is essential to the life and legitimacy of the federal Union. It is the inescapable conclusion of the equality of the regions, and the equality of their several citizens before the federal power. The authors of the Union well recognized this; their children caused it to be enshrined in the Fourteenth Amendment.

"No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law."

The order by the imperial grand wizard of the South repudiates this basic principle. It endangers the freedoms enjoyed by all Frémonters, the constitution, and the federal Union.

This is the hostile action of an imperialist power against the free people of the West. The use of the Southern national guards to enforce this travesty of justice, underlines its military and aggressive character.

We must assume, in light of these events, that the Southern authority does not intend to honor the rights and privileges of Frémonters as equal partners to the Union. A fox never stops at one dead chicken. We cannot ignore the possibility, encouraged by the deployment of the Southern national guards, that this order will be followed by further aggressive acts.

For these reasons, I am directing the Frémont National Guard to redouble its defensive positions along our eastern border. And I am ordering them to arrest Lazy Louis, or any officer of the Southern authority, who should attempt to cross into Frémont while the proscription against Senator Scott remains in effect. Any incursion into Frémont by Southern forces, will be treated as a hostile act; upon which, we will avail ourself to every remedy allowed to us by the laws and the constitution.

In the coming weeks, parliament will consider further measures to guarantee the rights of our people and their equality and independence within the Union. While the East may languish in tyranny and chaos —the tyranny of the majority, or the tyranny of one —we remain resolute in our commitment to the basic principles of the constitution, to which we will adhere, in all extremities, even to the last man.

Gloria Frémontis!

Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #99 on: October 05, 2021, 12:27:46 AM »

5 October 2021

Lincoln is caught in a tyranny. The tyranny of Wulfric.

Tonight the provisional results of the secession referendum tell us the people of Lincoln have failed to reach a consensus for independence. The Union has survived. This is no great credit to the opponents of the referendum, but to the spirit of apathy which pervades every aspect of public life.

There is one character who has come out ahead in this business. That is the arch-devil, Wulfric, himself.

The struggle for Northern independence began as retaliation for a legislative coup launched by the former speaker. The insurgents first demanded that Mr. Crane be retained. In this they were defeated. Next they conceded Mr. Crane should be removed, but demanded that Lincoln should have unilateral independence. In this they were defeated. They then demanded independence by a referendum. In this they were defeated.

The snap elections were a defeat for the government. But even if they had mustered the majority of votes, the provisions of the agreement drawn up by Mr. Wulfric stipulated the incumbent opposition council would stay in office unless the impossible threshold of 75% support for independence were reached.

Mr. Wulfric has got his speaker. He has got his terms, for union or independence. He has got his majority.

What exactly did the government stand to gain by these concessions?

None of their demands have been met. They have categorically retreated from all of them, one after another. On every issue the government has met defeat. On every issue, Wulfric is victorious.

Now the cowed secessionists announce the birth of a new regional party. This party must surely be the agent of Mr. Wulfric and of Wulfricism.

From Bangor in New England to Chicago on the Great Lakes an iron curtain has descended across the republic. Behind that line lie all the capitals of the ancient states of New England and the Old Northwest. Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Pittsburg, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Chicago, all these famous cities and the populations around them lie in what I must call the Wulfric sphere, and all are subject in one form or another, not only to Wulfric's influence but to a very high and, in some cases, increasing measure of control from Concord.

We in the West have long cherished a special relationship with Lincoln. Our peoples' fates are joined together in the pages of history. It is with great sadness that we regard the fate of our Northern brethren, weighed down by needless and oppressive laws framed by the council —laws for the taxing of widows and orphans, for the erection of toll roads, for the proliferation of useless offices and official redundancies. For years her schools and police precincts sat empty amidst the longest government shutdown in recorded history. There is on this continent, no people more heavily taxed, to receive in return so little.

At the heart of all these evils, we see the work of one man. That man is Wulfric.

It is Wulfric who stirred the soup of treason, and halted its progress until it would assume a form most suited to his purposes. It was Wulfric who then raise the cry of disunion, separation, and civil war.

It is clear from recent events that by the expert manipulation of key officers and the strategic placement of his henchmen, Wulfric has now got total control of the government in Lincoln.

We encourage the people of the North, to cast out this false government, and reclaim the rule of their region for themselves. The love and support of the free West shall not be wanting in this venture.

I am prepared to do whatever is necessary to free the North from Wulfric.

Lincoln will have peace, union, and prosperity. It will have a free government again.

Long live Frémont! Long live the free North!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies