Office of Harry S Truman
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:22:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Office of Harry S Truman
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Author Topic: Office of Harry S Truman  (Read 12428 times)
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 11, 2019, 03:10:55 PM »
« edited: February 11, 2020, 01:41:12 PM by Unconditional Surrender Truman »

(1)
HARRY S TRUMAN

FIRST  MINISTER  OF  FRÉMONT
ATTORNEY   GENERAL   FOR   ATLASIA
FORMER  PRESIDENT  &  GAME  MODERATOR

Archive
Mideast & Senatorial Office | Secretary of State | White House | Interior Secretary
Gubernatorial Office | Attorney General (1st) | Ministerial Office & Game Moderator
Attorney General (2nd)

(1) Source: Wikimedia Commons
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 04:54:53 PM »

11 June 2019

Well! Having made our triumphal return to Denver, the Twelfth Parliament is now well underway, making it high time the people had an account of what their representatives have been up to. This session has already seen passage of legislation to abolish toll roads, private health insurance, the so-called "pink tax," and to severely curtail civil asset forfeiture—pernicious evils that will no longer plague the free people of Frémont. There can still be no rest, however, and with the addition of our newest members since the last by-election parliament now proceeds to embrace a new host of initiatives in the second month of its sitting.

Three bills of my authorship are currently on the floor or waiting to be brought forward. This morning, parliament has taken up the Pretrial Detention Reform Act, the second leg of my criminal justice reform initiative, which would abolish money bail and seek to maximize cases where non-dangerous defendants may be released prior to trial. While legislation previously adopted by parliament sought to reform the application of bail and pre-trial release practices, they failed to abolish money bail entirely or to guarantee a defendant's right to be represented by counsel while their eligibility for pre-trial release is being assessed. Most importantly, this bill would make the pre-trial release of defendants the norm, resorting to detention only when there is a significant risk posed to public safety or when the defendant is judged unlikely to appear in court.

Two bills seek to reform parliamentary by-elections and reapportionment following the mass-resignations which ended the Eleventh Parliament: the Vacancies Act, currently on the floor, would reform by-elections to ensure a result that is both representative and transparent; while the proposed Seventh Amendment would fix the number of seats in parliament at five and allow for the inclusion of None Of The Above on parliamentary ballots. Debate on the first of these is currently stalled on the voting system to be used in by-elections: while my original draft calls for the use of FPTP to ensure MFPs chosen mid-term represent the majority of Frémonters, I am open either to party appointments or single-seat elections as alternative methods for resolving vacancies. My top priority is to ensure the inclusion of an NOTA option in the final version of the bill, to ensure Frémonters will not be forced to vote for a candidate they don't want simply because theirs is the only name on the ballot.

I have joined my colleagues in opposing Section 4 of the Frémont Farm Bill, which would allow the first minister to authorize the use of the pesticide DDT in a declared emergency. In lieu of any evidence that this measure is needed, I am opposed to re-authorizing the use of this dangerous chemical pesticide, the devastating environmental effects of which were a key factor in the formation of the Environmental Protection Agency fifty-some years ago.

Finally, we stand in solidarity with our brothers and sisters in Kansas as we pass the anniversary of the Sack of Lawrence and Bleeding Kansas. We call on Congress to end the Southern occupation of Kansas and restore her to the communion of the Free West!

Harry S Truman, MFP
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 10:36:22 PM »

24 June 2019

There are a number of subjects on which I wish to speak tonight; I'll try to keep it short.

First, my ecstatic congratulations go to the Labor and Peace candidates elected this weekend: namely, to President-elect Griffin and Vice President-elect Jimmy; to Senators-elect Tack and Frémont's own Ontario Progressive; to Representatives-elect J. Gibson, MB, Razze, Wulfric, and YE; and to Councilor-elect PSOL in Lincoln. For the first time in a very long time, we have an opportunity to achieve real, lasting, progressive change in this country; and I will do all in my power, as I am sure will our new president and Congress, to ensure that opportunity is not wasted.

I would next refer to a less-happy set of elections conducted recently: that is, the sham referenda carried out in accordance with the Atlasia Statehood Act. These referenda were proposed as a compromise between the White House and the Congressional advocates of statehood for our Pacific Island territories, and were intended to welcome the island territories of Guam, Atlasian Samoa, the Northern Mariana Islands, and the Atlasian Virgin Islands into the Union. Because of the gross negligence of basically everyone involved, however, Nyman crucially forgot to extend the date of the referenda after failing for weeks to pass the bill. The result was that when the Statehood Act finally received the president's signature, territorial authorities had less than twenty-four hours to organize an election before the polls were due to open. The people of the territories were likewise given no warning that such a poll was even taking place, let alone time to have a mature and considerate discussion of the merits and demerits of the proposal. All this had a predictable outcome: anemic turnout (less than 1% in most territories), few to no polling stations actually open (exactly four in Guam, where the statehood question failed by fewer than 200 votes), and "results" that reflect the actual will of the people about as well as a Soviet student council.

In short: Nyman screwed up, and in consequence our brothers and sisters in the Pacific continue to languish in constitutional limbo, taxed but not represented, and excluded from the embrace of the Western Commonwealth.

This result is unacceptable. The Pacific islands are by right and heritage a part of Frémont, and their exclusion from statehood is a daily rebuke of the right of the Western people to be represented in one parliament, as one region. The indifference of Nyman to the cause of Western nationhood is insulting and injurious; and it is the duty of all good Frémonters to do all they can to remedy this monstrous injustice.

Accordingly, in my capacity as a member of the Frémont parliament, I have introduced legislation to extend the right to vote in our elections to residents of the Pacific Island territories. This is fully within the powers of the Commonwealth to define eligibility to vote in its elections and will resolve the most galling consequence of the disastrous sham referenda. I have likewise petitioned our Senators to introduce legislation in the next Congress to nullify these undemocratic, unrepresentative referenda and admit the Pacific islands to the Union without further delay.

Gloria Frémontis!

Harry S Truman, MFP
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 01:09:12 PM »

Endorsed
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 12:06:08 AM »

15 July 2019

In the name of the Commonwealth and the Union, I call on the Southern Chamber to adopt the amendment brought by the governor of that region striking the insulting and incendiary demands from the proposed PRAG-Co bill. The failure of the amendment would mean the collapse of negotiations between our regions to restore free trade and end the Southern-instigated trade war. The only path forward is mutual and unconditional disarmament, a course we may pray the Chamber is wise enough to take.

Harry S Truman, MFP
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 05:08:29 AM »

15 July 2019

In the name of the Commonwealth and the Union, I call on the Southern Chamber to adopt the amendment brought by the governor of that region striking the insulting and incendiary demands from the proposed PRAG-Co bill. The failure of the amendment would mean the collapse of negotiations between our regions to restore free trade and end the Southern-instigated trade war. The only path forward is mutual and unconditional disarmament, a course we may pray the Chamber is wise enough to take.

Harry S Truman, MFP

Wanting the democratic process to be respected is "insulting an incendiary"? Considering your militaristic, expansionist rhetoric, the one who is truly using insulting an incendiary demands is yourself.

Proposing an amendment to the above amendment.

Section 2: Text

1. The Carry On My Wayward Son Act is hereby repealed in full.

2. This legislation will come into full effect only when all the following criteria have been met:
a. It has been signed by the First Minister
b. Legislation of a similar nature in the regions of Lincoln and the South has repealed.
c. The regions of Lincoln and the South have passed a resolution stating that they respect the unqualified supremacy of the Commonwealth of Frémont.
d. The South passes a resolution taking complete and total responsibility for initiating this pointless charade.
e. The South passes legislation immediately ceding Kansas to the Commonwealth of Frémont.
f. The South passes legislation transferring all territory west of the Mississippi River to Frémontian jurisdiction within one year of its passage.

Time for Frémont to invade, I guess! The stars and bars flying above Kansas is an unacceptable outcome.

1) The winning design isn't the stars and bars.
2) The winning design isn't the flag of the south currently.
3) Calling for Invasion over the result of a referendum doesn't strike one as being a mature action for a former president of Atlasia.
4) The President made reference to mobilizing the national guard if option one (the most Stars and Bars like flag) wasn't chosen.

Quote from: President Griffin (on discord)

Wanting assurances in light of your repeated militaristic, expansionist rhetoric seems quite natural.
Thankfully I am on decent terms with the First Minister who is acting far more presidential than yourself. Also I would have you and your electors know that I drafted the following legislation to further regional dialogue before this all blew up:

I submit this bill for consideration of the house in the spirit of governmental co-operation.

Section I: Title
1.1 This act shall be know as the Council Of Atlasian Governments or CoAG Act

Section II: Terms
2.1 Atlasian Government: a Government Administration of the regions of Atlasia (Fremont, Linlcoln and the South) or Federal Level of Atlasia.
2.2 A quorum for a CoAG shall consist of no less than one representative per Atlasian Government.

Section III: The Council
3.1 At least once per Presidential Administration a Council of Atlasian Governments shall be held to discuss legislative cooperation, standardization or reciprocity.
3.2 An agenda should be set no less than one week before the council.
3.3 Regional CoAG delegate/s shall be appointed by the regional head of state.
3.4 CoAG Federal delegate/s shall be either the Secretary of Internal Affairs, President or Vice President or any combination there of.
3.5 Resolutions, while non binding, shall be pursued in the relevant legislature.

Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2019, 10:02:33 AM »

The Southern referendum shouldn't require Frémont's approval, because the design of the Southern flag is a question for that region only. Demanding Frémont sign off on your referendum in exchange for ending a trade war you (the South) started is very unfortunate, yes. As you have withdrawn your demands, I will do likewise and continue to advocate for Western reunification only by peaceful means.
President of the civil service full of trans activists
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2019, 12:42:42 PM »

I will [...] continue to advocate for Western reunification only by peaceful means.
Go back to doing it by violent means. It's more fun!
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2019, 01:49:33 PM »

16 July 2019

As we round out the second length of this sitting of parliament, an accounting of our efforts to the people seems deserved. The weeks since the election of our new president and Congress have seen passage of three acts of my proposition, and much more besides, as I will not tell.

The first and proudest of these, the Pretrial Detention Act, passed unanimously in the last month, is a comprehensive reform of pretrial release practices in Frémont. The law replaces the old money bail system and more recently proposed "risk assessment tools"—both of which are subject to systemic biases in favor of wealth and against racial minorities—with a fair and transparent process that prioritizes the release of non-threatening defendants while keeping dangerous criminals off our streets.

The Vacancies Act, which would reform parliamentary by-elections after the chaotic dissolution of the Eleventh Parliament, likewise passed with widespread support after a lengthy debate. Rewritten with input from every MFP, representing a diverse range of perspectives, the law prescribes a standard date each month for conducting by-elections and separate elections for each seat in the event of multiple vacancies—ensuring parliament remains both representative and democratic, while maximizing involvement.

Finally, the Pacific Islands Voting Rights Amendment will go before the people this weekend with the unanimous endorsement of all parties in parliament. Following the disastrous Congressional effort to grant statehood to our Pacific island territories (detailed in the release of 24 June, above), this amendment would extend full voting rights to the Atlasian residents of Guam, Samoa, and the Northern Mariana Islands while they remain in the territorial stage—ensuring that all Atlasians will be included in the democratic process and ending "taxation without representation" once and for all. This patriotic initiative, furthermore, brings us one step closer to restoring the communion of the West: I ask my fellow citizens to stand for democracy, for Frémont, and for human rights this weekend and vote Aye on the Voting Rights Amendment.

Our work does not end here. This weekend, I led the successful effort to rally parliament to stand firm in our demand for mutual, unconditional disarmament in the Southern-provoked interregional trade war—a campaign which, I am happy to say, has resulted in the reopening of negotiations between our government and the South. Despite the needless agitation of border ruffians and imperialists, I am confident our regions will come to a fair and mutually-beneficial agreement as we continue our campaign for a strong, democratic, and united Atlasia.

Gloria Frémontis!

Harry S Truman, MFP
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2019, 11:26:44 PM »

23 July 2019

Upon signature of the Commerce Act, I invite my fellow Frémonters to celebrate our victory in the Trade War! Thanks to the stoic patriotism of parliament, upheld by the people, and the honorable actions of reasonable people in the Chamber of Delegates, all trade barriers between our Commonwealth and the Southern Region have been blown away, and free trade restored on terms proposed by the Commonwealth. The unnecessary and destructive race to the bottom is over, and Frémont —indeed, all Atlasia —may now walk forward into the bright tomorrow.

I thank those in the South who put aside selfishness and sectionalism to act in the best interests of the Union: by agreeing to mutual, unconditional disarmament, they have helped to establish the foundation for a lasting peace. I likewise congratulate my colleagues for their steadfast courage in refusing to bend to the unreasonable demands of the imperialists, thus saving Frémont from a humiliating vassalage.

Gloria Frémontis! Gloria Atlantis!

Harry S Truman, MFP
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2019, 11:57:12 PM »

It hasn't, Lincoln hasn't passed their repeal yet. And the Southern law doesn't come into affect until Lincoln repeals and our law doesn't come into affect until the South repeals.
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2019, 03:49:31 AM »

It hasn't, Lincoln hasn't passed their repeal yet. And the Southern law doesn't come into affect until Lincoln repeals and our law doesn't come into affect until the South repeals.
If i can channel yourself for a moment. Need I point out that:

Quote from: PRAG-Co Act Section IV: Triggers for partial or full effect
4.1) If Section IV: A, B have been fulfilled the bill is in full effect with regards to the region of Lincoln.
4.2) If Section IV: A, C have been fulfilled the bill is in full effect with regards to the region of Fremont.

This bill will come into full effect only when all the following criteria have been met:
A) It has been signed by the Governor of the South.
B) Legislation of a similar nature in the region of Lincoln has repealed/tabled.
C) Legislation of a similar nature in the region of Fremont has repealed/tabled.

honorable actions of reasonable people in the Chamber of Delegates... I thank those in the South who put aside selfishness and sectionalism to act in the best interests of the Union...
Cheers Harry Wink
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2019, 08:06:18 PM »

14 September 2019

Today Frémont joins her Central American sisters celebrating the anniversary of their glorious victory over the imperialists at the Battle of San Jacinto. One hundred sixty-three years ago, Kansans, Nebraskans, and Nicaraguans fought on the same side against the encroaching tyranny of the slave power. Recently, certain agitators have called for the South to absorb Greenland: while I support a democratic path to an American Union, I can never condone annexing more territory to Nashville when our sister states of Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, and Texas remain wrongly occupied. Let this day remind us that we must always stand united against the border ruffians and modern-day Fillibusters—land-gobblers all—in their nefarious mission to overturn the will of The People and subdue the free spirit of the West.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2019, 11:00:29 PM »

9 October 2019

This morning, Frémont welcomed her sisters into the loving embrace of the Commonwealth for the first time as equals, signature of the Territorial Statehood Act by President Griffin concluding months of struggle. Territorial government—the last hideous vestige of imperialism that has stained our Union nigh these many years—is dead, and all Atlasians now have their right to representation guaranteed by the national government.

The cause of Western communion marches ever onward, but tonight we celebrate this victory for the people and welcome our brethren in the Pacific into parliament.

Gloria Frémontis!

Harry S Truman, MFP
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2019, 06:32:23 PM »

28 October 2019

The moment is not one for celebration, but nevertheless, is: Scott has resigned the helm, and I am now—once more—interim first minister. It has been my pleasure to know him and to work alongside him these past three years, and I can only wish him all the best: he is a great man and a great Frémonter, and when he returns (I will not allow "if"), it will be the gain of all who call this country home. For this moment, I thank him, and wish him the very best fortune as he grapples with the life beyond these shores.

Now. To business.

Ordinarily, parliament would continue to sit for another month; but give that only two of our members now are even remotely engaged with the proceedings in that chamber, my impulse is to use this opportunity to call an early election and "turn over new earth," so to speak. In the coming hours and days I will be in conversation with others in Frémont to discuss this and other matters now before the government as we prepare ourselves for the long winter ahead.

Ave, Frémont!

Harry S Truman, First Minister (ad interim)
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2019, 07:05:32 PM »

Per the Constitution I'm pretty sure the FM resigning more than 2 weeks before the elections forces new elections whether we like it or not.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2019, 07:18:47 PM »

Per the Constitution I'm pretty sure the FM resigning more than 2 weeks before the elections forces new elections whether we like it or not.

For FM? Yes.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2019, 10:18:39 PM »

The Ministry of the Budget is hereby disbanded, and its minister accordingly dismissed.

Image: Wikimedia Commons
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2019, 08:09:48 PM »

By the authority vested in me by Article II§4 of the Second Constitution of the Commonwealth of Frémont as interim first minister thereof, I, Harry S Truman, declare the Thirteenth Parliament of the aforesaid, DISSOLVED; and do further cause Writs of Election to be issued, which poll to proceed Friday the eighth day of November, in the year two-thousand nineteen.

LEX POPVLVSQVE PATRIAE REGET

Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2019, 08:32:42 PM »

By the authority vested in me by Article I§8 of the Second Constitution of the Commonwealth of Frémont as first minister thereof, I, Harry S Truman, nominate YE to assume the parliamentary seat vacated by Pericles for the remainder of the Thirteenth Parliament.

Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2019, 10:10:23 AM »

7 November 2019

The time for compromise is passed.

By this, I do not mean that the time for listening is now behind us —all through my career I have sought to represent all Frémonters regardless of party or worldview, and I will continue to do so. While I refuse to cower in the face of bad-faith grandstanding, those with an honest thought to share will always have a seat at my table —whether they accept is up to them.

But I denounce the ideology that says because we are the smallest or western-most region, that we should accept anything but the best from our government. I stand by my belief, which I have defended over and over again in the face of evils from within and without, that Frémont is the greatest of the regions, not in spite of but because she has known hard times, endured them, and emerged stronger. This I announce to the green-eyed border ruffians and the plotting unitary state, that Frémont will accept nothing less than her due and stop not one step short of her rights as a free people, joined in federal Union, the communion of all the peoples of the West.

We enter now upon the darkest part of the year, when the days grow short and cold and our politicians scatter to the far corners of the globe. As we near the Christmas holidays, parliaments and senates the nation over will grow quieter as their members return to the embrace of their families and the cultivation of their studies. Dishonest people with secret motives will surely, in the months to come, insist this is a sign of weakness; this is a lie. The test for the next government, is not to pull members away from the dinner table to ring in the new year over an excise tax adjustment, but to maintain the momentum of the state through the lull and to bring it back to full throttle in 2020. It is, in the meantime, to resolve what business remains before us in the seven-odd weeks to come with efficiency and competence, in spite of the difficulties that have frustrated progress in the past.

All this, I pledge to you; and offer you, as bond, nearly five years' service in the public sphere, three to this commonwealth, and four ministries under our parliamentary constitution.

First, we will complete the budget, with or without the GM, even if I have to drag parliament kicking and screaming across the finish line (I've done it before). We will purge extraneous positions from the government and restore power to the people's elected representatives. We will guarantee the rights of all citizens, from cradle to grave —because freedom is not merely the absence of government, but it's charge and purpose. We will oppose the tyranny of capital as strenuously as we oppose the tyranny of the state, and we will insist on justice for every Frémonter whether in the courtroom or the break room. We reject out of hand the cowardice of inaction; we chose to believe that better is possible, and strive toward it with the fervor of a people joined in holy cause.

All this, we can do; all this, we must do —by our prayer and our anthem:

Gloria Frémontis!

Harry S Truman, first minister (ad interim)
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2019, 05:47:21 PM »

Raucous applause!
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2019, 09:49:25 AM »

11 November 2019

Thank-you, Frémont!

My congratulations to the new members of parliament who will take office on Wednesday: I look forward to working with all of you in the months to come as we tackle the vast array of challenges facing our region. May this be a bold and productive parliament!

Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2019, 09:56:28 AM »

11 November 2019 (continued)

During the campaign, I promised to abolish the bloated bureaucracy of ministers and restore the administrative functions of the government to the people's elected representatives. I have never admired the practice of appointing regional cabinets when it is within the ability of the head of government to carry out those functions himself. I am therefore retiring the remaining ministerial posts, retaining as always the option to consult others whenever the need should arise.

I thank the late minister of elections for his service to the last government for a period of nearly seven months.

The Ministry of Elections is hereby disbanded, and its minister accordingly dismissed.

Image: Wikimedia Commons
Roblox

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2019, 10:59:14 AM »

11 November 2019

Thank-you, Frémont!

My congratulations to the new members of parliament who will take office on Wednesday: I look forward to working with all of you in the months to come as we tackle the vast array of challenges facing our region. May this be a bold and productive parliament!

Looking forward to working with you!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies