1st DEM Debate Thread: June 26 & 27, Miami, MSNBC & NBC & Telemundo (9-11pm)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 05:50:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  1st DEM Debate Thread: June 26 & 27, Miami, MSNBC & NBC & Telemundo (9-11pm)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 46
Author Topic: 1st DEM Debate Thread: June 26 & 27, Miami, MSNBC & NBC & Telemundo (9-11pm)  (Read 47102 times)
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #525 on: June 26, 2019, 10:21:34 PM »

How can anyone say Tim Ryan did poorly is beyond me. He did great IMO, can one of you people explain.

He got totally destroyed by Tulsi on foreign policy.

The annoying thing was that Tulsi wasn't making a very strong argument herself. Ryan just had no idea what he was talking about.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #526 on: June 26, 2019, 10:22:14 PM »

Also for those "WARREN DID REALLY BAD" folks - she didn't bomb, she did what she needed to do, and she closed very strongly. Nothing amazing, but I wouldn't call it a bad debate either.
SN2903
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: 3.91

P P
« Reply #527 on: June 26, 2019, 10:22:47 PM »

Tulsi leading the drudge poll
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #528 on: June 26, 2019, 10:23:06 PM »

At this rate Beto may not make the 3rd or 4th debate.

Warren proved once again why she is not the candidate to take on Trump in the GE.

Warren could have stood out & towered above the kids & she failed in that regard.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #529 on: June 26, 2019, 10:23:10 PM »

How can anyone say Tim Ryan did poorly is beyond me. He did great IMO, can one of you people explain.

The annoying thing was that Tulsi wasn't making a very strong argument herself. Ryan just had no idea what he was talking about.

The very fact that she knew what she was talking about was a strong argument itself
SN2903
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #530 on: June 26, 2019, 10:23:56 PM »

Also for those "WARREN DID REALLY BAD" folks - she didn't bomb, she did what she needed to do, and she closed very strongly. Nothing amazing, but I wouldn't call it a bad debate either.
She def underperformed. If Bernie has a good night tomorrow night I think Warren will drop a decent amount
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #531 on: June 26, 2019, 10:24:21 PM »

Ryan was the only candidate to get boo'd during the debate, it should be obvious he flopped lmao.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #532 on: June 26, 2019, 10:24:28 PM »

This debate won't impact Warren one way or another.
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #533 on: June 26, 2019, 10:24:38 PM »

I don't think an online Drudge poll is a reliable indicator for a Democratic debate but ok lol
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #534 on: June 26, 2019, 10:25:58 PM »

Simple, Congressman Ryan...

Well he said some of the most insanely idiotic things. Really, there wasn't any point where he ever reached anything that could be considered rational thought. It seems everyone on Atlas got dumber for trying to hear him...I know I did.

Even Beto had one or two moments with actual meaning behind them.
SN2903
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #535 on: June 26, 2019, 10:27:36 PM »

I don't think an online Drudge poll is a reliable indicator for a Democratic debate but ok lol
It indicates she has appeal not just in the democratic base which means she could be a good nominee
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #536 on: June 26, 2019, 10:28:26 PM »

Good-
Castro
De Blasio
Warren

Neutral-
Delaney
Ryan
Gabbard
Inslee
Booker
Klobouchar

Bad-
Beto
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #537 on: June 26, 2019, 10:28:33 PM »

A smashing final statement, finally. We still can grow and move on from this, Warren still has the momentum.
Most of the people on that stage won’t even make it to the third debate. She has time to improve. She needs to be assertive. Nothing happened tonight that would make her lose support.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #538 on: June 26, 2019, 10:28:39 PM »

People saying de Blasio did good is making me cringe. The guy is a terrible mayor, and you won't find a New Yorker from any corner of the spectrum who likes him.
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #539 on: June 26, 2019, 10:28:43 PM »

Beto had a horrendous night. The speaking Spanish part at the beginning was an obvious pandering grab.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #540 on: June 26, 2019, 10:29:17 PM »

The very fact that she knew what she was talking about was a strong argument itself

It wasn't though. She was trying to make the case that we can just pull out of Afghanistan, look the other way, and put the money we spend in Afghanistan towards other things. Tulsi knows (I hope) that the situation in Afghanistan is way more complex than that, and we have active negotiations underway right now that will shape what our options are going forward. Even if it turns into a full withdrawal, it's no more likely that we'll be able to dump the money we currently put into Afghanistan into other things than it was for the UK to put EU money into the NHS. They're completely different appropriations, and it's not just cash you can move around like with your personal bank accounts.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #541 on: June 26, 2019, 10:30:39 PM »

With all due respect, speaking in Spanish during this debate doesn't impressive me.

I understand your point here, especially since the vast majority of Latino Democratic Primary voters in most states tend to be Middle / Upper Middle-Class Latinos that are essentially bilingual so why bother speaking in Spanish for working-class ESL Latino voters that are much less likely to vote in Presidential Primaries or Midterm elections.

Still, being able to speak multiple languages is a skill-set that many HR and Hiring Managers look at as part of job requirements depending upon the position.

As President of the US, being able to speak in multiple languages not only makes it easier to communicate with foreign leaders in languages they might not be as fluent in, but also to speak to sections of the American public that are listening to news bites trying to understand the exact nuances of the language and translation.

I understand this might PO many "Anglos" (Apologies for those who find this term weird, but lived combined 5 yrs in CA and TX so it's not a weird word out here), especially older voters that have issues with "English is the official language of the US", but hell America has had waves of immigration ever since before we achieved independence against the Crown.

The Unions that organized the Coal Mines and Steel Mills of places such as WV and SW-PA had to publish Union pamphlets in sometimes as many as 30 languages, because of the international hiring policy of the bosses to staff the Mines and Mills of the "New World".

So I'll give you an agree / disagree, but hell if your resume might be a bit weak on other areas, no harm no foul in playing to a strength when it comes to being bilingual, especially among a significant  chunk of the DEM-GE-Base.

And, the debate was set in South FL, with Trump Immigration Policies front and center, so why not get some free local media sound bites in a large and expensive media market, 3rd largest DEM delegation to the convention, and an early Primary state?

My two cents on this topic....
History505
« Reply #542 on: June 26, 2019, 10:30:54 PM »

Buttigieg can take one thing from this debate for tomorrow: Don't do what O'Rouke did.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #543 on: June 26, 2019, 10:32:04 PM »

Beto had a horrendous night. The speaking Spanish part at the beginning was an obvious pandering grab.

Coming up next: "10 ways Beto is like your abuelito."
History505
« Reply #544 on: June 26, 2019, 10:33:30 PM »

People saying de Blasio did good is making me cringe. The guy is a terrible mayor, and you won't find a New Yorker from any corner of the spectrum who likes him.
I wouldn't want him as the nominee at all, but he showed more energy than I anticipated.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #545 on: June 26, 2019, 10:33:56 PM »

It wasn't though. She was trying to make the case that we can just pull out of Afghanistan, look the other way, and put the money we spend in Afghanistan towards other things. Tulsi knows (I hope) that the situation in Afghanistan is way more complex than that, and we have active negotiations underway right now that will shape what our options are going forward. Even if it turns into a full withdrawal, it's no more likely that we'll be able to dump the money we currently put into Afghanistan into other things than it was for the UK to put EU money into the NHS. They're completely different appropriations, and it's not just cash you can move around like with your personal bank accounts.

Yeah but does 'its really complex' play well as a sound bite for voters?

It's actually why I respect Warren's answer to gun control -- she basically said "It's complicated and we need to actually figure out what works instead of giving you a sound bite"
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #546 on: June 26, 2019, 10:34:01 PM »

Warren did great. There were too many people on that stage, what a fiasco.

Warren explaining that many working folks with health insurance go bankrupt when they get a serious illness closed that silly debate the candidates were having about the value of private insurance as a primary method for universal coverage.

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #547 on: June 26, 2019, 10:34:48 PM »

He had a good performance, but I don't like his positions, so it didn't help him with me.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #548 on: June 26, 2019, 10:36:02 PM »

Good time to rip on tent cities in California when the 3 Californians are on tomorrow.

Didn't catch the ref by candidate, since I had it on the background and will watch fully when my wife gets off her shift as a caregiver.....

Still, the lack of affordable housing is becoming a massive issue in the West Coast (Not only in CA), and having been homeless myself for six months after I got laid off from a well paying job, and trying to find a way to scratch up the cash just to move from PDX into a small 2 bdr apt somewhere where rental costs had exploded by 200% within 5 years in a Downstate OR Factory town.....
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #549 on: June 26, 2019, 10:36:30 PM »

I'm starting to think the only reason I liked Ryan's performance is because he pandered to rust belt people like myself.

Ryan mixing up the Taliban and al-Qaeda was pretty darn bad.

He didn't mix them up, he was trying to say that the Taliban was protecting Al-Qaeda, which it was, but he had trouble getting it out.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 46  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies