1st DEM Debate Thread: June 26 & 27, Miami, MSNBC & NBC & Telemundo (9-11pm)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 12:35:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  1st DEM Debate Thread: June 26 & 27, Miami, MSNBC & NBC & Telemundo (9-11pm)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46
Author Topic: 1st DEM Debate Thread: June 26 & 27, Miami, MSNBC & NBC & Telemundo (9-11pm)  (Read 46429 times)
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1075 on: June 28, 2019, 02:53:46 AM »

Wants the point of illegal immigration even being a civil offense if all the candidates have pledged never to deport anyone unless they've committed a major crime? Illegal immigrants will just keep accruing fines for as long as they are here? Will they be put in jail if they don't pay fines? Every single candidate in the debate took this position but it doesn't appear any of them even thought it out.

What do you have against immigrants? They are human too, unlike you.

We don't have infinity resources and thus cannot share our resources with an unlimited number of people. Simple as.
Immigrants produce more resources than they consume.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1076 on: June 28, 2019, 03:04:02 AM »

Wants the point of illegal immigration even being a civil offense if all the candidates have pledged never to deport anyone unless they've committed a major crime? Illegal immigrants will just keep accruing fines for as long as they are here? Will they be put in jail if they don't pay fines? Every single candidate in the debate took this position but it doesn't appear any of them even thought it out.

We don't have infinity resources and thus cannot share our resources with an unlimited number of people. Simple as.
Immigrants produce more resources than they consume.

Every single immigrant? Obviously some do and some don't. It would be wise, at the very least, to select for the ones that do, that's what Canada does. If you just allow anyone as long as they aren't a murderer, that obviously creates an incentive for the people who don't to come here. Why wouldn't they? There's no punishment and they get welfare (also, funny thing how their own countries can't provide welfare. Why do you think that is? It's because most people in their countries don't actually produce more than they consume).
izixs
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.31, S: -6.51

« Reply #1077 on: June 28, 2019, 03:05:42 AM »

Ah yes, the infinity people who exist outside the united states. Naturally when dealing with infinity people it might seem daunting to be accommodating and so...

Wait... there isn't an infinite number of people. Like, in existence. Oh I guess that makes this argument about needing infinity resources kind of silly.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1078 on: June 28, 2019, 03:13:55 AM »

Ah yes, the infinity people who exist outside the united states. Naturally when dealing with infinity people it might seem daunting to be accommodating and so...

Wait... there isn't an infinite number of people. Like, in existence. Oh I guess that makes this argument about needing infinity resources kind of silly.

This is pedantic. Okay, it's not infinity, it's "however many out of the 7 billion people on the planet are willing and able to reach the border". Do you think providing for the welfare of those tens of million (at least) of impoverished people is an easy task? It's hard to take care of the people here now. Why do you think adding more people (and adding more people who are much much poorer than the people will already have) will make the situation easier?
Knives
solopop
« Reply #1079 on: June 28, 2019, 03:25:42 AM »

People saying Harris performed poorly are very out of touch.
izixs
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1080 on: June 28, 2019, 03:26:41 AM »

This is pedantic. Okay, it's not infinity, it's "however many out of the 7 billion people on the planet are willing and able to reach the border". Do you think providing for the welfare of those tens of million (at least) of impoverished people is an easy task? It's hard to take care of the people here now. Why do you think adding more people (and adding more people who are much much poorer than the people will already have) will make the situation easier?

Not, it isn't an easy task. It isn't an easy task taking care of American citizens either, and we generally fail to do that as is. But instead of rounding up the poor and firing them into space or something, we let them exist and occasionally try to do something sensible to help their plight. Not effectively, but hey, sometimes we try, so go us?

And no, it won't make the situation easier. At least not in the short term. But that's an us problem, not a they problem. We're bad at insuring the general welfare of people while spending hundreds of billions on the military every year. Are happy to do big tax give aways to the already wealthy. And all the other things. That isn't the fault of those who are seeking opportunity or fleeing violence in their homelands. They just want the same thing the rest of us do, to be able to live our lives.

And people here are just so caught up on technicalities and notions of us vs them that they can't see that they are simply people. Not this weird alien menace that will sap our resources and bring about the destruction of mom and apple pie.

I responded as I did because I guess I'm just tired of the ridiculous framing of the issue. And so I pointed out the explicit ridiculousness on display. And you know what, I'd be happy to work with someone from a foreign land who believes in the promise of America to make America better for all of us. To make sure we can support each other, all those who are here, and all those who might drop by. Because we can, if we work together.

But I don't got any time for those who cry about the limitations of America. Who claim we can't, who peddle lie and hyperbole to suggest that we're at our limit because of immigrants straining the system. Because they're not the ones who built the trap, they're not the one's exploiting me, you, and those from across the boarder who seek hope and survival. We can, and should be doing better, so maybe lets do that. Which yes, means ending the influences of those who've got a stranglehold on our democracy.
izixs
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1081 on: June 28, 2019, 03:29:51 AM »

I have to disagree. I have no intention in supporting Harris in the primary (unless somehow it ended up just her vs Biden I guess, ugh) but I am capable of seeing when a candidate is making a strong impression. And she did. She also is perhaps due now for someone to hit her (next debate? One after?) about her own shoddy record which didn't happen this time. If Biden doesn't tired old man the next debate or two again, he might get to that. Some of the also rans might give it a try. But her weaknesses were not put on display during this debate, which did her a big favor and let her focus fire on threat to her nomination #1, Joey B.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1082 on: June 28, 2019, 03:44:37 AM »

Not, it isn't an easy task. It isn't an easy task taking care of American citizens either, and we generally fail to do that as is. But instead of rounding up the poor and firing them into space or something, we let them exist and occasionally try to do something sensible to help their plight. Not effectively, but hey, sometimes we try, so go us?

And no, it won't make the situation easier. At least not in the short term. But that's an us problem, not a they problem. We're bad at insuring the general welfare of people while spending hundreds of billions on the military every year. Are happy to do big tax give aways to the already wealthy. And all the other things. That isn't the fault of those who are seeking opportunity or fleeing violence in their homelands. They just want the same thing the rest of us do, to be able to live our lives.

And people here are just so caught up on technicalities and notions of us vs them that they can't see that they are simply people. Not this weird alien menace that will sap our resources and bring about the destruction of mom and apple pie.

I responded as I did because I guess I'm just tired of the ridiculous framing of the issue. And so I pointed out the explicit ridiculousness on display. And you know what, I'd be happy to work with someone from a foreign land who believes in the promise of America to make America better for all of us. To make sure we can support each other, all those who are here, and all those who might drop by. Because we can, if we work together.

But I don't got any time for those who cry about the limitations of America. Who claim we can't, who peddle lie and hyperbole to suggest that we're at our limit because of immigrants straining the system. Because they're not the ones who built the trap, they're not the one's exploiting me, you, and those from across the boarder who seek hope and survival. We can, and should be doing better, so maybe lets do that. Which yes, means ending the influences of those who've got a stranglehold on our democracy.

The United States is a country like any other. It has limitations. It is not magic. It's funny that left-wingers adopt this attitude of "American exceptionalism" but only when it comes to the issue of immigration/redistributing the wealth of Americans to foreigners. Very weird form of patriotism.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1083 on: June 28, 2019, 03:48:27 AM »

I have to disagree. I have no intention in supporting Harris in the primary (unless somehow it ended up just her vs Biden I guess, ugh) but I am capable of seeing when a candidate is making a strong impression. And she did. She also is perhaps due now for someone to hit her (next debate? One after?) about her own shoddy record which didn't happen this time. If Biden doesn't tired old man the next debate or two again, he might get to that. Some of the also rans might give it a try. But her weaknesses were not put on display during this debate, which did her a big favor and let her focus fire on threat to her nomination #1, Joey B.

It sounds like you agree.
izixs
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1084 on: June 28, 2019, 03:50:11 AM »

Oh dah, you're right. I misread that. I... should go to bed. XP
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1085 on: June 28, 2019, 03:52:35 AM »

I disagree. They are clearly in agreement. ;-)
Knives
solopop
« Reply #1086 on: June 28, 2019, 04:09:14 AM »

Oh dah, you're right. I misread that. I... should go to bed. XP

I was very confused for a moment.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #1087 on: June 28, 2019, 04:41:26 AM »

538 released the numbers from their pre-debate poll today, conducted by Morning Consult: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/democratic-debate-poll/

Here's the poll's rank of the favorability of all 20 debaters when divided into each debate.

Debate 1:

1. E. Warren: +49.7%
2. B. O'Rourke: +37%
3. C. Booker: +35.1%
4. A. Klobuchar: +20%
5. J. Castro: +19.6%
6. J. Inslee: +9%
7. T. Ryan: +8.2%
8. J. Delaney: +7.4%
9. T. Gabbard: +7.1%
10. B. de Blasio: -1.4%

Here are the new numbers now that the first debate has been concluded:

1. Warren: +58% (+8.3%)
2. Booker: +41.6% (+5.5%)
3. Castro: +34.5% (+14.9%)
4. O'Rourke: +32.5% (-4.5%)
5. Klobuchar: +22.7% (+2.7%)
6. Inslee: +11.6% (+2.6%)
7. Gabbard: +10.5% (+3.4%)
8. Ryan: +10.4% (+2.2%)
9. Delaney: +5% (-2.4%)
10. De Blasio: +1% (+2.4%)
Former Crackhead Mike Lindell
Randall
« Reply #1088 on: June 28, 2019, 05:01:45 AM »

Still pitiful numbers for de Blasio, but movement in the right direction at least.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #1089 on: June 28, 2019, 07:50:05 AM »

Kamala owned the debate last night. Biden had a few good moments but often looked old and tired. Sanders was like self parody. Gillibrand was horrible, extremely annoying.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #1090 on: June 28, 2019, 08:17:31 AM »

He wanted to get in first, but apparently Gillibrand is more important. Seriously, screw NBC, screw joke candidates who can’t differentiate themselves and just take up speaking time. It’s outrageous
It would be nice if we could get a fair debate and not just a Warren, Biden, Sanders show.  Give the minor candidates time to speak.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #1091 on: June 28, 2019, 08:26:29 AM »

He wanted to get in first, but apparently Gillibrand is more important. Seriously, screw NBC, screw joke candidates who can’t differentiate themselves and just take up speaking time. It’s outrageous
It would be nice if we could get a fair debate and not just a Warren, Biden, Sanders show.  Give the minor candidates time to speak.

Yes. They qualified for the same debate and should get equal time
Agreed.  I'm not sure in practice how giving exactly equal time would work, but certainly steps can be taken to give Sanders and Harris every other question.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #1092 on: June 28, 2019, 08:35:21 AM »

Disgusting anti-Asian racism shown by MSNBC.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1093 on: June 28, 2019, 09:08:52 AM »

The hell, did even the moderate candidates raise their hand to give illegals free health care ...

WHY ?! That’s a losing issue. Literally giving Trump life.

He’s the luckiest MFer alive
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #1094 on: June 28, 2019, 09:40:04 AM »

Andrew Yang is a joke candidate. what are you talking about?
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1095 on: June 28, 2019, 09:46:09 AM »

Did even the moderate candidates raise there hand on the question of giving free health care to illegals? WHY?! That gives Trump LIFE in this race.... life he doesn’t need
izixs
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1096 on: June 28, 2019, 09:50:53 AM »

Because this is the Democratic primary for starters?

Also, by taking bold stands that contrast with the current, terrible, administration, one can use that dislike to move public opinion on these things. Most folks don't like or trust Trump, and so providing contrasts to him is generally good.

The trouble comes in selling those contrasts. Not everyone on stage can do that effectively. Some can do it, even on this issue. Just gotta reject the right wing framing of the issue and make it a human rights issue. Tear down the other associated talking points as needed, bring up that most of them are designed to back up a morally bankrupt policy of hate anyway and aren't worthy of their time, and bam, you get converts.

And right now, at this stage, getting converts is perhaps easier to do than in the lead up to the general. So might as well take a risky position that seems popular in the party and try to ride it to something down the road.
Buzz

« Reply #1097 on: June 28, 2019, 10:26:10 AM »

The Democratic Party has turned into a complete joke.  You can tell Biden doesn't even believe half the stuff that he's saying.  Democrats have gone so FAR LEFT, that it is uncontrollable.  The ideas proposed last night were absurd.  You can't win a general election with those ideals, American's arnt having it.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1098 on: June 28, 2019, 10:28:42 AM »

The Democratic Party has turned into a complete joke.  You can tell Biden doesn't even believe half the stuff that he's saying.  Democrats have gone so FAR LEFT, that it is uncontrollable.  The ideas proposed last night were absurd.  You can't win a general election with those ideals, American's arnt having it.

Yet putting children in "detention centers" without sanitary conditions is within the realm of acceptability to win a general election? Get outta here.
Hollywood
« Reply #1099 on: June 28, 2019, 10:31:32 AM »

The amount of time, money and resources the Democrat Party intends to spend on illegal immigrants is egregious. 
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies