Is a Democratic supermajority possible in GA within the next 30 years?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:02:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Is a Democratic supermajority possible in GA within the next 30 years?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is a Democratic supermajority possible in GA within the next 30 years?  (Read 1216 times)
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 09, 2019, 04:07:28 PM »

I was playing around with some numbers trying to see how our population would look in 2022 for GA-GOV and came across this interactive map: https://www.ajc.com/news/state--regional/map-watch-georgia-racial-and-ethnic-changes-unfold/UWVTVqmkLK9wU9DC6jv6KL/

Basically maps out GA's demographic trajectory from 1990 to 2050.

This is what our state would look like in 2048:

46% Non-Hispanic White, 30% Black, 16% Hispanic, 8% Asian

Some of our biggest populated counties in Metro Atlanta will have insurmountable super-majorities of non-whites:

Cobb will be 70% non-white, Fulton 64% non-white, Douglas 70% non-white, DeKalb 75% non-white, Clayton 98% non-white, Rockdale 79% non-white, Gwinnett 86(!)% non-white (and the most populated county in our state).... Even Hall County will be majority non-white even though I'm sure whites will be a majority of voters.

Is this a Democratic supermajority in the GA State House? (NO GERRYMANDERING!)

This is assuming there have been NO major changes between the parties other than the R's softening on some stances to attract non-black people of color.

Let's assume that  GA Dems are getting 30% of the white vote as the increased diversity pushes suburban whites to the left. GOP is getting 25-30% of the non-white vote as they make huge gains with Asians and Hispanics... for example Fulton will be a quarter Asian and Gwinnett/Cobb will be a quarter Hispanic. Expect a lot of elected moderate R's in the metro to come from those communities.

How will the political landscape in South GA look?

What would a statewide map look like at this point?
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 06:45:01 PM »

If we assume the political alignment doesn't change much, or at all, between now and 2048, then yes.

Georgia would probably be about as Democratic as Maryland or Massachusetts are today, by this point.

However, I also think Republicans will have to try much harder to appeal to Hispanics, Asians, and College Educated whites by 2048, so unless the GOP just gives up on winning elections, Georgia would probably be much closer than its demographics would suggest.
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 06:47:16 PM »

Also, I too would be very interested in seeing a county map for what a hypothetical 2048 statewide election in Georgia would look like, but I myself am not knowledgeable enough about Georgia politics and demographics to make one, so if anyone would want to make a rough estimate I'd love to see that.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2019, 09:38:50 PM »

By then not only will there have been a realignment  but we will be full blown into the era similar to how 1992-2006 was during the Neo-Liberal Era.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 04:14:42 AM »

I think it is possible much sooner than that frankly.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 10:40:45 AM »

I don't think a super majority will be possible without Democrat Gerrymandering ala Illinois. I do believe that rural blacks will have to move moderately right maybe around 20-25% GOP? although urban blacks form the majority so blacks are still overwhelmingly Democrat so this creates a self pack situation. Illinois Democrats really utilized gerrymandering the black areas as thin as possible to maximize a lot of areas.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2019, 12:12:55 PM »

I don't think a super majority will be possible without Democrat Gerrymandering ala Illinois. I do believe that rural blacks will have to move moderately right maybe around 20-25% GOP? although urban blacks form the majority so blacks are still overwhelmingly Democrat so this creates a self pack situation. Illinois Democrats really utilized gerrymandering the black areas as thin as possible to maximize a lot of areas.
?? We have seen absolutely no indication rural blacks will trend r( the opposite could potentially be the case)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2019, 02:38:57 PM »

?? We have seen absolutely no indication rural blacks will trend r( the opposite could potentially be the case)

BUT THEYRE RURAL !!

Lol

(Agreed, BTW)
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2019, 01:27:09 PM »

These projections seem unlikely.

Fulton County more Asian than Black in 2050?  Henry County as majority White?  Gwinnett less White than DeKalb?

Looks like a bad case of the fallacy of extrapolation.   
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2019, 02:20:36 PM »

These projections seem unlikely.

Fulton County more Asian than Black in 2050?  Henry County as majority White?  Gwinnett less White than DeKalb?

Looks like a bad case of the fallacy of extrapolation.   

The statewide numbers seem dead-on, but some of the individual county numbers may indeed be off. if it's a case of just extrapolating current trends until 2048, there's a wide margin of error with that.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies