Why did Preston Smith do so bad in 1972
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:36:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Why did Preston Smith do so bad in 1972
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why did Preston Smith do so bad in 1972  (Read 1123 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 08, 2019, 07:45:59 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1972_Texas_gubernatorial_election

Not only did he lose the primary he came in 4th!!!
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2019, 07:55:46 PM »

Perhaps this is why;
In 1971 and 1972, Smith was embroiled in the Sharpstown scandal stock fraud scheme, which eventually led to his downfall. Smith lost his third-term bid for the governorship of Texas to Dolph Briscoe of Uvalde in the Democratic primary in 1972. He ran a distant fourth in the primary, behind Briscoe, women's activist Frances "Sissy" Farenthold of Corpus Christi, and Lieutenant Governor Ben Barnes, formerly of Comanche County.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preston_Smith_(governor)#Political_career

LoneStarDem
United States
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2019, 08:19:10 PM »

Perhaps this is why;
In 1971 and 1972, Smith was embroiled in the Sharpstown scandal stock fraud scheme, which eventually led to his downfall. Smith lost his third-term bid for the governorship of Texas to Dolph Briscoe of Uvalde in the Democratic primary in 1972. He ran a distant fourth in the primary, behind Briscoe, women's activist Frances "Sissy" Farenthold of Corpus Christi, and Lieutenant Governor Ben Barnes, formerly of Comanche County.

I'm currently doing a TL on the TX Dems & I'll include this on the TL.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 10:29:29 AM »

He ran again in 1978 and did even worse, although the incumbent lost the primary, too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1978_Texas_gubernatorial_election

Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 10:57:50 AM »

Perhaps this is why;

The issue was the large amount of monies Smith and other prominent Texas pols took from banker Frank Sharp over the years.  Smith was never implicated in any criminal wrongdoing, but he was viewed as being complicit in opposing reforms that would have made it harder for scandals such as Sharpstown to occur.

Smith wasn't the only prominent Texas Democrat to go down in 1974.  Lt. Gov. Ben Barnes was once considered the most likely candidate to be elected Governor.  (LBJ publicly predicted that Barnes would be President someday.)  Barnes' defeat in the 1972 primary was his last electoral foray.  So much for hotshots.
LoneStarDem
United States
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 12:16:41 PM »

Perhaps this is why;

The issue was the large amount of monies Smith and other prominent Texas pols took from banker Frank Sharp over the years.  Smith was never implicated in any criminal wrongdoing, but he was viewed as being complicit in opposing reforms that would have made it harder for scandals such as Sharpstown to occur.

Smith wasn't the only prominent Texas Democrat to go down in 1974.  Lt. Gov. Ben Barnes was once considered the most likely candidate to be elected Governor.  (LBJ publicly predicted that Barnes would be President someday.)  Barnes' defeat in the 1972 primary was his last electoral foray.  So much for hotshots.

Smith went down in 1972! NOT 1974.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 06:38:31 PM »

Sharpstown.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 09:27:06 PM »

Perhaps this is why;

Smith wasn't the only prominent Texas Democrat to go down in 1972.  Lt. Gov. Ben Barnes was once considered the most likely candidate to be elected Governor.  (LBJ publicly predicted that Barnes would be President someday.)  Barnes' defeat in the 1972 primary was his last electoral foray.  So much for hotshots.

Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 09:29:17 PM »

Perhaps this is why;

Smith wasn't the only prominent Texas Democrat to go down in 1972.  Lt. Gov. Ben Barnes was once considered the most likely candidate to be elected Governor.  (LBJ publicly predicted that Barnes would be President someday.)  Barnes' defeat in the 1972 primary was his last electoral foray.  So much for hotshots.

I've corrected the typo.

I watched the election returns in November, 1972.  I was bummed that Nixon was creaming McGovern, but I remember that, for a while, it looked as if Barefoot Sanders might beat John Tower.  (That, of course, was not to be.)
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2019, 01:39:33 PM »

Perhaps this is why;

I've corrected the typo.

I watched the election returns in November, 1972.  I was bummed that Nixon was creaming McGovern, but I remember that, for a while, it looked as if Barefoot Sanders might beat John Tower.  (That, of course, was not to be.)
Who did you vote for in the primaries?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies