2000: George W. Bush (R) v. Al Gore (D) v. John McCain (I)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:54:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  2000: George W. Bush (R) v. Al Gore (D) v. John McCain (I)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2000: George W. Bush (R) v. Al Gore (D) v. John McCain (I)  (Read 5507 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 23, 2005, 07:30:11 PM »

Everything happens as it happened, up until April when a pissed John McCain announces he's running as a independent.

He gains ballot status in all 50 states, easily.

What do maps look like?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2005, 03:02:18 PM »

John McCain is successful in persuading the former head of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Colin Powell, to join him on the ticket as the Vice Presidential nominee.

Together, McCain and Powell have tremendous appeal to independents, to independently thinking people, to Republicans who are not happy with the Republican ticket, to Democrats who are not happy with the Democratic ticket, and do well with minorities. 

The McCain/Powell appeal carried them to victory in many states, while the  vote splits between Bush and Gore in other states enabled McCain and Powell to win in those states.

McCain and Powell are able to tap into a deep rooted desire in the country for change and for new and inspiring leadership.     

McCain/Powell                291
Bush/Cheney                 155
Gore/Lieberman               92

Yates

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.54

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2005, 03:03:15 PM »

That is a fine analysis, Winfied, though I'd give Arkansas and Tennessee to Gore.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2005, 07:10:57 PM »

That is a fine analysis, Winfied, though I'd give Arkansas and Tennessee to Gore.

Thank you, and welcome to the forums.

You're right, Gore would most likely win Arkansas and Tennessee.  It would, as well, make for a more interesting and exciting election night.

Revised results

McCain/Powell          274
Bush/Cheney           155
Gore/Lieberman       109

This would make for a most interesting campaign and election night story.  However, since I have already posted the results, it would be pointless for me to write one.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2005, 10:32:48 PM »

I really can't see McCain winning.

In fact, I think he only wins 3 states: New Hampshire, Maine, and Arizona.
Yates

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.54

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2005, 10:40:15 PM »

I really can't see McCain winning.

In fact, I think he only wins 3 states: New Hampshire, Maine, and Arizona.

That would be the case with a lesser-known, less popular independent candidate.  McCain, even then, was national popular and could have easily come up from the center.
Ronald Reagan
Spl2
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2005, 10:05:31 PM »

No majority.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2005, 04:53:53 AM »

Winfield, your map favours Republicans and underestimates the number of people who would have voted Gore over both Bush and McCain when it came down to it.  So does yours, Spl2, to a lesser extent.
M

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2005, 02:24:50 PM »

No, nothing of the sort.

The quixotic McCain-Powell campaign is a media dream, and for a few bizarre weeks in midsummer polls indicate that McCain will be our next president. By November, traditional party loyalties have been widely reasserted. Moderate Republicans and some liberals, including about half of Nader voters, are for McCain, but its a net Bush loss and swings key states to Gore.

McCain has a total of 7% nationwide, and a high of 15% in his native Arizona.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2005, 03:44:38 PM »

Winfield, your map favours Republicans and underestimates the number of people who would have voted Gore over both Bush and McCain when it came down to it.  So does yours, Spl2, to a lesser extent.

What you say could ultimately have happened in the 2000 election, however, if any independent ticket could have made these kinds of inroads, it would have been McCain and Powell.  Both were well known, respected, charismatic, in contrast to both the Bush/Cheney and Gore/Lieberman tickets, that were really not exciting tickets at all.

Besides that, both McCain and Powell had the credibility to actually be President and Vice President, unlike most independent or third party candidates, i.e. Nader, Buchanan, Perot.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2005, 04:50:15 PM »

If we take VPs out of the equation, I think Bush wins more easily.  I remember polls showing McCain pulled more votes from Gore than from Bush.  Maybe that's not how it ends up, but that's how it looked when talk of a McCain independent run started.

If running mates are factored in, Bush chooses Cheney as running mate, but McCain chooses Joe Lieberman (his Senate pal), leaving Al Gore stuck with John Kerry (his #2 choice for VP).

I think this bipartisan ticket would win.
kashifsakhan
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2006, 10:21:40 AM »

McCain stepping into the race majorly splits the Republican party in two. McCain causes some damage to both parties, taking states from both, but the McCain election campaign does more damage to the Republicans, and Gore manages to sneak thru with the win

Gore -  273
Bush - 149
McCain -  116
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2006, 10:56:08 PM »

This looks like 1912. In 1912, John McCain's political idol runs against President Taft and splits the GOP vote in half, allowing a Democrat, Woodrow Wilson, to win the White House for the first time in 20 years.

That election also featured a quixiotic reformer by the name of Eugene Debs. Taft only won two states, Utah and Vermont Smiley
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2015, 04:46:31 PM »

I suspect Al Gore would win. Interesting question: does Ross Perot still endorse Bush?
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2015, 05:14:23 PM »

At first, I was going to say easy Gore, but I suddenly remembered John McCain and who he is. The media idolatry toward McCain after Kosovo (which I will never understand) could only last so long before people took a closer look and saw the uglier side present through 2008. He might carry a few points in the popular vote, but no electoral votes.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies