Michigan : Trump loses by wide margins
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:22:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Michigan : Trump loses by wide margins
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Michigan : Trump loses by wide margins  (Read 4313 times)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2019, 09:18:35 AM »

Can anyone explain why Trump always underperforms his approvals in midwestern state polls? This same poll shows -8 approval (at 44%) but with -12 margins against Biden/Sanders (at 41%). Doesn't make sense. Are there really voters who approve of Trump but will vote for Democrats because they just like them better than Trump? lol

Not that this matters greatly, but it's such a consistent phenomenon that it's worth talking about.

I could see a very select people liking what he's doing but not wanting to feel culpable for everything by admitting to wanting to vote for him. I don't think that fully explains a consistent trend, but it is the most reasonable thing I can imagine. The alternative is that they approve of the job but personally dislike him and would rather have someone more respectable.
SN2903
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: 3.91

P P
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2019, 10:52:48 AM »

These numbers do not mean anything this early. Macomb is trending R big time while Oakland is trending D. Most of the state is trending R besides Oakland.
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2019, 12:09:10 PM »

These numbers do not mean anything this early. Macomb is trending R big time while Oakland is trending D. Most of the state is trending R besides Oakland.

Kent + Ottawa + Washtenaw + Wayne counties are all trending D and I doubt that MI will trend R in 2020
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2019, 11:46:29 AM »

The Democrats' voter-drive database was hacked, so the electoral trend in Presidential elections may not be reliable.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2019, 02:21:55 PM »

https://twitter.com/pollreport/status/1146840634902208512
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2019, 02:25:07 PM »

I hope Amash will come to his senses and run instead of inevitably losing his district in 2020.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2019, 03:04:54 PM »

So if Amash does indeed step aside, uniting the Republican vote, Trump would get 49 %, surpassing Biden's 45 %. I hope Amash knows his political career would be screwed forever if he challenges Trump and instead runs fully for re-election in his district.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2019, 03:29:59 PM »

So if Amash does indeed step aside, uniting the Republican vote, Trump would get 49 %, surpassing Biden's 45 %. I hope Amash knows his political career would be screwed forever if he challenges Trump and instead runs fully for re-election in his district.

Yeah, no.
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2019, 03:56:01 PM »

That is a poll from May, and has already been posted here:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=321505.0
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2019, 04:26:45 PM »

People who would vote for Amash don’t like Trump, dude. I guess that in a Trump/Biden/Amash race Michigan would vote like this
Biden : 49%
Trump : 45%
Amash : 6%
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2019, 11:33:30 PM »

Yea Amash actually helps Trump.

Think Anderson in 1980. Anderson was a Republican Congressman, but he ended up splitting the liberal vote and thus allowing Reagan to win many states on pluralities in the North, including New York state.

Amash would draw most of his support from college educated whites that hate Trump and thus would deny them to the Democratic nominee.

Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2019, 11:41:10 PM »

Polls were fairly accurate last time given the margin of error. Combine that with the fact that they have improved since then (evidenced by their much greater success in 2018, especially in the House elections/popular vote) and the fact that many of the final polls took place right as the Comey effect was being felt, and Trump’s approval rating has remained consistently dismal... There is certainly no rational reason to discount them.

Polls were accurate nationally in 2016 within the MOE, not at the state level. Polls had Republicans inflated in Nevada, where Hispanics are routinely under represented going back to 2010. And likewise in several election cycles, Republicans have been underestimated in the Midwest going back to 2010. Even in 2018, Republicans held OH and IA Governorships, in spite of the polling and did much better than expected in Wisconsin Gov and MI Senate. In Indiana, Rasmussen and Fox News had Donnelly ahead of Braun and Braun won. Ohio Senate was also much closer than the polling averages suggested by as much as 6 or 7 points.

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies