Describe a 1940-2012 Republican / 2016 Democratic Voter Demographic
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:18:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Describe a 1940-2012 Republican / 2016 Democratic Voter Demographic
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Describe a 1940-2012 Republican / 2016 Democratic Voter Demographic  (Read 986 times)
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 13, 2019, 12:02:00 AM »
« edited: June 13, 2019, 12:22:41 AM by #Kavanaugh For Prison »

Orange County, California transitioned like this, but what type of Voter Demographic was switching like this to cause it to happen.

Edit: made changes to the thread question to make it sensible.
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 12:09:49 AM »

Almost no one voted like this, since the vast majority of people who were old enough to vote in 1940 would have been dead by 2016.

If I had to describe someone, I'd say a 97 year old walking corpse from Vermont who's been senile for the past 15 years and accidentally checked the box for Hillary before dropping dead in the voting booth.
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 12:19:24 AM »

Almost no one voted like this, since the vast majority of people who were old enough to vote in 1940 would have been dead by 2016.

If I had to describe someone, I'd say a 97 year old walking corpse from Vermont who's been senile for the past 15 years and accidentally checked the box for Hillary before dropping dead in the voting booth.

Well, describe a voter demographic like this; not necessarily an individual voter.
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 12:24:02 AM »

Well, describe a voter demographic like this; not necessarily an individual voter.

Possibly ancestral Republicans in wealthy New England towns?
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 11:27:26 AM »

Orange County, California is not New England. What Voter Demographic defection in Orange County, California caused the County to vote like this?
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 12:27:42 PM »

Well, describe a voter demographic like this; not necessarily fan individual voter.

Orange County, California is not New England. What Voter Demographic defection in Orange County, California caused the County to vote like this?

Well, clearly a decent amount of college educated whites defected to Hillary, but the bigger reason that it's becoming much more Democratic is because it's rapidly diversifying.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 01:35:51 PM »

It didn't.  Orange County demographics in 2016 are nothing like they were in 1940.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 02:43:12 PM »

Well, describe a voter demographic like this; not necessarily fan individual voter.

Well, clearly a decent amount of college educated whites defected to Hillary, but the bigger reason that it's becoming much more Democratic is because it's rapidly diversifying.

Additionally, the guy who was a young, educated professional with a good job back in the 1970s in Orange County is likely one of the staunchest Republicans in the area, haha.  "This isn't MY Orange County," if you will.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2019, 04:24:36 PM »

Additionally, the guy who was a young, educated professional with a good job back in the 1970s in Orange County is likely one of the staunchest Republicans in the area, haha.  "This isn't MY Orange County," if you will.
On the other hand though, a 13% swing in 4 years, especially in such a populated county, can not be solely explained away by "demographics".
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2019, 06:34:03 PM »
« Edited: June 15, 2019, 06:43:12 PM by darklordoftech »

Rich people who became aware of dog whistles as a result of Trump’s campaign and/or their kids or grandkids telling them. Also, people who turned 18 in between the 2012 and 2016 elections and vote differently than one or both of their parents.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2019, 09:28:35 AM »

Additionally, the guy who was a young, educated professional with a good job back in the 1970s in Orange County is likely one of the staunchest Republicans in the area, haha.  "This isn't MY Orange County," if you will.
On the other hand though, a 13% swing in 4 years, especially in such a populated county, can not be solely explained away by "demographics".

I didn't say it was.  I do, obviously, think people like "Elliot County Populist" or whatever like to specifically focus almost entirely on the non-demographics components, as it is simpler, neater and creates a more black and white political climate where his posts and stereotyping of entire voter bases are easier to defend.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies