Germany 2013: AfD passes the 5% threshold, possible CDU-CSU-AfD majority
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:06:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  International What-ifs (Moderator: Dereich)
  Germany 2013: AfD passes the 5% threshold, possible CDU-CSU-AfD majority
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Germany 2013: AfD passes the 5% threshold, possible CDU-CSU-AfD majority  (Read 988 times)
bigic
Serbia and Montenegro

Political Matrix
E: 2.32, S: -7.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 03, 2019, 11:54:07 AM »

In 2013. AfD missed the 5% threshold by just 0,3% of the votes. What do you think would have happened if the party had passed the threshold and had a majority together with CDU/CSU? I guess back then the AfD was a more moderate party than it is now, so it wouldn't have been excluded from negotiations?
pilskonzept
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -2.67, S: -2.92

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 03:49:52 PM »

In 2013. AfD missed the 5% threshold by just 0,3% of the votes. What do you think would have happened if the party had passed the threshold and had a majority together with CDU/CSU? I guess back then the AfD was a more moderate party than it is now, so it wouldn't have been excluded from negotiations?

They wouldn't have been excluded from negotiations, but it's not clear that they would have wanted to be part of a coalition that early in the party's life.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 02:19:39 PM »

Yeah, they probably wouldn't have been willing to "rule," in which case, you'd basically have no chance of seeing anything other than a grand coalition (this presumes, of course, that the FDP didn't also manage to pass the threshold).
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 06:53:48 AM »

I think AfD's rightward turn would have happened anyway, but if AfD had gotten in in 2013, there would have been more moderates in an "entrenched" position (most importantly in the Bundestag, of course) and it would have been more complicated to oust them.

They wouldn't have been excluded from negotiations, but it's not clear that they would have wanted to be part of a coalition that early in the party's life.
I'm not sure. Right now it's easy to recognize Lucke and co as the moderates they were, but the overblown vitriol against AfD as supposed "Nazis" was very much real at the time as well. People were whipped into a frenzy over the breakthrough of a party to the right of the Union. I don't think they would have been invited to coalition tals (and yes, whether AfD would have wanted to take part in such talks is unsure too).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies