Big probable news, that might affect Governor & Senate race in Ohio.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:56:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Big probable news, that might affect Governor & Senate race in Ohio.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Big probable news, that might affect Governor & Senate race in Ohio.  (Read 2739 times)
Blank Slate
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 23, 2005, 06:57:11 AM »

In Ohio, on www.politics1.com, front page, Ron Gunsburger today (November 22) is posting the very probable news that Congressman Ted Strickland running for Governor is going to chose as his running mate, for Lt. Governor, Congressman Sherrod Brown (and Brown isn't apparently discouraging the news).   Essentially removing Brown from making a very divisive Democratic primary for U.S. Senate with Paul Hackett.

I think this is VERY GOOD news indeed for Ohio Democrats if this true and I sure hope it is, despite some of my earlier comments in this forum about Hackett.

I would love to see a Strickland/Brown election to Governor and Hackett election to U.S. Senate for Ohio so the Ohio GOP is suffering after November 7, 2006.

What do others think of this VERY PROBABLE news?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2005, 07:39:50 AM »

I think that you don't need to stress quite as much that it's VERY PROBABLE. Smiley
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005, 08:57:21 AM »

I like the fact that it would stop a divisive primary, but on the other hand I wish Sherrod Brown would stay in Congress. If/when the Democrats win back the House, he could be one of the leading members and get a chairmanship of one of the committees.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2005, 02:36:57 PM »

Yes, avoiding a divisive and bruising Democratic primary for the Senate seat held by the vulnerable GOP-incumbent Mike DeWine would be good news for Democrats

I think Hackett stands a better shot at DeWine than Brown

Dave
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2005, 03:11:04 PM »

Somethings smells funny.  Why would Brown give up a House seat to be in a nothing job like Lt. Governor?  Maybe in Ohio, Lt. Governor is a pretty cool job, but its not in most states.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2005, 03:15:22 PM »

Somethings smells funny.  Why would Brown give up a House seat to be in a nothing job like Lt. Governor?  Maybe in Ohio, Lt. Governor is a pretty cool job, but its not in most states.

My thoughts exactly, I'd rather be a congressman with a Senate shot than a Lt. Governor.

Anyway, if this is true, it helps the Democrats...Hackett gets through his primary unscathed, Strickland still should win the Governorship, and the Brown congressional seat is safe Dem so it isn't in jeopardy.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2005, 03:46:43 PM »

Same thing I was thinking.   And judging by the huge ego that SOB has been showing off lately I highly doubt these rumors are true.
Galactic Overlord

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2005, 04:30:26 PM »

Same thing I was thinking.   And judging by the huge ego that SOB has been showing off lately I highly doubt these rumors are true.

I agree.  He's been secretary of state and a congressman.  Lt. Governor isn't moving up compared to that.  I would agree that Strickland needs an urbanite to balance the ticket.  Blackwell racks up stronger numbers than most Republicans in Ohio in places like Cincinnati and Columbus.  Strickland needs someone with similar appeal.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2005, 05:00:51 PM »

One bright side, if this did happen, is that it would help Brown if he decides to run for Voinovich's open Senate seat in 2010.  He would be better known statewide as lt. governor than he would be if he was still one of eighteen congressmen.
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2005, 01:05:23 PM »

Hmmm at this point I think Brown will have a lock on the Democratic Primary should one happen and as a result I think Hackett will end up running for Congress again where I think he'll defeat the chickenhawk. =)
Galactic Overlord

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2005, 05:57:13 PM »

Aren't the congressional primaries all at the same time?  How would Hackett jump back into the OH-2 race if the primary is over? (Someone can correct me if I'm wrong)

I also doubt Hackett will beat Schidmt.  Overcoming the Warren-Hamiliton-Clermont county precincts will be a bridge too far, especially if Republican turnout increases.  He'd be better off running somewhere like in Strickland's open congressional seat.
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2005, 07:33:01 PM »

Aren't the congressional primaries all at the same time?  How would Hackett jump back into the OH-2 race if the primary is over? (Someone can correct me if I'm wrong)

Aye Early May for primaries.  However by the filing deadline (Feb) I expect Hackett to no longer be running for Senate and to be running against Jean Schmidt claiming that her attacks on Murtha had begun to change his mind.

Now I'm not from Ohio but what I'm told is that it was Sherod Brown's machine that was driving Hackett's campaign on the ground.  Hackett supposedly asked Brown if he was going to run for Senate.  It wasn't till after Brown declined that Hackett started building for a run against Dewine.  I think Hackett is by far the better candidate as both a straight talking Marine and as a political outsider but Brown clearly has the strength of the political machine working for him in both the DSCC and within the Ohio Democratic Machine.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I never agree with carpetbaggers.  He should be running for his home district or none at all IMO.  Look how close he was BEFORE the bottom dropped out of both the Ohio GOP scandals and the Iraq debacle.  If he runs against Schmidt I expect him to win in 2006.  If he doesn't run I suspect she'll be challenged in the primary.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2005, 03:05:39 PM »

One bright side, if this did happen, is that it would help Brown if he decides to run for Voinovich's open Senate seat in 2010.

Open Senate seat?
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2005, 06:11:23 PM »

Is this actually likely at all?  Brown is set to announce his Senate candidacy on Friday, with a statewide tour to follow.  If someone is going to change his plans, they better do it quickly.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2005, 06:53:42 PM »

Hmmm at this point I think Brown will have a lock on the Democratic Primary should one happen and as a result I think Hackett will end up running for Congress again where I think he'll defeat the chickenhawk. =)

Rangel's going down too.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2005, 07:42:36 PM »

I think that can only happen in New Jersey.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2005, 07:48:10 PM »

From what I've read, there's a very good chance he'll retire in 2010.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2005, 07:48:34 PM »

This doesn't pass the smell test.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to: