NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:20:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates  (Read 112614 times)
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« on: February 18, 2021, 03:18:01 PM »

I remember early on saying that DeSantis would come out of this pandemic just fine and Cuomo would be destroyed and everyone laughed
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2021, 10:29:29 PM »

Assuming Cuomo was impeached instead of resigning, what would be the impeachable offence against him?

From a quick look at the allegations, I am not sure if the allegations of sexual harrassment qualify as a crime? (as opposed to say, rape, which is 100% a crime). I have no idea where the line gets drawn for sexual harrassment in legal terms, it could also be that sexual harrassment simply doesn't get prosecuted enough or that I am wrongly understanding the accusations, but being a creep is not illegal? The covid scandal could be the one though.

He definitely should resign though
Abuse of power and obstruction of justice, both regarding the coverup of the nursing home situation.

Yeah lol. Truly insane to me that people keep forgetting that this is arguably a way larger abuse of authority than the gropes, although they both come from the same worldview

The obvious explanation is that the nursing home scandal was being brought up by Republicans for months in advance and also tarnishes several other (mostly Democratic) governors that were held up as models for other states to follow, whereas the sexual harassment accusations are fresh and only tarnish Cuomo himself. If you only look at the latter then elected Democrats can pretend to somehow be more principled than Republicans in punishing their own. Case in point

I prefer that Governor Cuomo be impeached and convicted instead of being made to resign for this one reason -to show Republicans that Democrats have more integrity than they do.  We have the courage to punish our own leaders when Republicans (except for the brave few) failed twice to join them even when they privately agreed that the evidence for impeaching and convicting President Trump both times was overwhelming.  

Right, Democrats have so much integrity that they'll probably punish their own, as long as those punished are politically weak and easily replaced by other Democrats. Otherwise they'll just stop talking about it, as was the case with Virginia's Gov. Blackface Klansman and his partner in crime, Lt. Gov Serial Rapist.

Who do you think this is fooling?
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2021, 02:48:24 PM »

Yeah I'm sorry. I agree with your point about the nursing home scandal, but there were plenty on the left who were critical about that as well. They were just silence by the corporate machine that is the central party. Also the Dems at least really cracked down on sexual harassment allegations, and Republicans literally denounced Trump for saying that he assaulted people on camera but then did nothing about it--not to mention the myriad other scandals. It is a low bar, but one of the reasons I still am a Democrat despite hating them is that the GOP can't even get over that (or off the ground and out of the gutter).

Except the Republicans never claimed to be the party of #MeToo, nor have their supposed virtues been paraded by a Pravda-esque media campaign for the past few years. A crooked politician being accused of sexual harassment is one thing, a crooked politician who was repeatedly pushed as a presidential contender because of his medical management running for the Party of Women's Rights being accused of the same (after months of cover ups of his medical failures) is something else entirely.

If anything Republican voters have demonstrated way more willingness to punish their own when it actually counts. In 2018 when control of the Senate was at stake enough Republicans in Alabama decided to not show up to give the seat to Doug Jones, whereas Menendez in New Jersey won by the sort of margin any regular Democrat would win by. There are literally zero examples of Democrats holding their own accountable when it carries actual political risk. To be clear I despise Republican politicians but when they said Democrats would never hold themselves to the standard they applied to Kavanaugh they were absolutely right.

If this was Ron DeSantis nothing would be happening at this point, and the women accusers would be ignored. And please don't bring up Eric Greitens. He literally documented his rape and then lied about it to law enforcement. He wasn't forced out by his party, but the justice system lol

If this was Ron DeSantis there would have been months of headlines along the lines of "DEATHSANTIS COVERS UP NURSING HOME DEATH TOLL, FLORIDA NURSING HOMES OVERRUN WITH CORPSES and DeSantis would have a 10% approval rating plus multiple primary challengers. Then the sexual harassment allegations would come up and DeSantis would be imprisoned for a very long time, not be advised that he should probably resign. His worst case scenario wouldn't see him retiring with a small fortune, a huge political legacy and a future of fruit painting but being literally dragged to prison in handcuffs.

Media outlets glamourized a literal crazy person to promote conspiracy theories about Florida's COVID performance at the same time they were ignoring Cuomo's actual scandals. If they had anything real to work with they undoubtedly wouldn't have waited until after Biden was safely inaugurated to start running stories.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 09:57:09 PM »

I'd imagine it's mostly that their political machines know Cuomo and they don't know Hochul because up until a month or two ago she was politically irrelevant and Cuomo looked like presidential material. They don't care about ideology or morality, they care about the sorts of political benefits you can only reliably get through personal connections behind closed doors. That's also probably part of why none of the unions have turned on him either and it wouldn't be too surprising if they came down behind him soon enough.

The other issue is frankly just a matter of framing. The emphasis from most of the media has been on the sexual harassment allegations with the nursing home mismanagement and coverup being more of an afterthought. This is very convincing to the sorts of upper middle class white people who won the election for Biden but for non-white and working class voters it's decidedly less of a priority. The impression many of those without the time to catch more than snippets of the news are left with is that Cuomo is a great manager who handled COVID like a champ but acted like a creep around women and also might have fudged some insignificant numbers. After all, if it was such a big deal why does it get a sentence of mention next to "CUOMO ACCUSED OF LEWD REMARKS"?

Whether we like it or not most people won't go against their partisan interests (or typically even their economic interests) over MeToo accusations and other character attacks unless they're particularly heinous, and sometimesnot even then. Just look at how the people still behind Cuomo put it:

Quote from: Deceived Voter
Kester Grant, a 27-year-old FedEx employee who lives in East New York, said resignation would be premature and he’s glad that his Congressman, Hakeem Jeffries, has not gone as far as others in calling for Cuomo to resign over more than a half dozen sexual misconduct allegations.

“It’s both sides to the thing, so we’re trying to really figure out what really is going on,” Grant said, adding that he respected Cuomo’s handling of the COVID-19 crisis. “I really love how he really handled the pandemic,” he said. Compared to other states, he continued, “most of our stuff was really controlled.”

Quote from: Deceived Voter
Kester Grant, a 27-year-old FedEx employee who lives in East New York, said resignation would be premature and he’s glad that his Congressman, Hakeem Jeffries, has not gone as far as others in calling for Cuomo to resign over more than a half dozen sexual misconduct allegations.

“It’s both sides to the thing, so we’re trying to really figure out what really is going on,” Grant said, adding that he respected Cuomo’s handling of the COVID-19 crisis. “I really love how he really handled the pandemic,” he said. Compared to other states, he continued, “most of our stuff was really controlled.”

Quote from: Propagandized Woman
Standing outside a Marshall’s in Ozone Park, Queens, a neighborhood Meeks represents, 40-year-old hospital worker Livy Giancani said Cuomo was too good a leader to lose in this moment. “They should listen to what the women need to say, but resigning, I think that’s too much,” she said. “Look at the way, he deal with all this COVID stuff and how well he do for New York. He’s good.”

So long as the myth of Perfect Administrator Cuomo persists he'll have plenty of public support. Were that myth to be systematically demolished his approval would be through the floor but the collateral damage would be sufficiently widespread to make tolerating Cuomo (at least for the remainder of his term) the lesser evil for New York Democrats. The real question is whether enough Democrats will vote against the preferences of their constituents or not.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies