NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:24:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates  (Read 112081 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« on: June 28, 2020, 09:44:34 PM »
« edited: June 28, 2020, 09:52:19 PM by Virginia Yellow Dog »

Barring winning the Democratic presidential nomination in 2024 or 2028, Governor Andrew Cuomo could decide he may want to stay and beat the record as the longest-serving New York governor in state history.  By the time he (likely) wins his re-election bid in 2022, he will have already surpassed Thomas Dewey (12 years), Mario Cuomo (12 years), and George Pataki (12 years).  If he runs for another term in 2026, he will have beaten Nelson Rockefeller (14 years).  And by the time he retires in 2030 in his early seventies, he will have served longer than even the first governor, George Clinton (18 years).  
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2021, 09:38:51 PM »

I prefer that Governor Cuomo be impeached and convicted instead of being made to resign for this one reason -to show Republicans that Democrats have more integrity than they do.  We have the courage to punish our own leaders when Republicans (except for the brave few) failed twice to join them even when they privately agreed that the evidence for impeaching and convicting President Trump both times was overwhelming. 
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2021, 11:08:38 PM »

Assuming Cuomo was impeached instead of resigning, what would be the impeachable offence against him?

From a quick look at the allegations, I am not sure if the allegations of sexual harrassment qualify as a crime? (as opposed to say, rape, which is 100% a crime). I have no idea where the line gets drawn for sexual harrassment in legal terms, it could also be that sexual harrassment simply doesn't get prosecuted enough or that I am wrongly understanding the accusations, but being a creep is not illegal? The covid scandal could be the one though.

He definitely should resign though
Abuse of power and obstruction of justice, both regarding the coverup of the nursing home situation.

Yeah lol. Truly insane to me that people keep forgetting that this is arguably a way larger abuse of authority than the gropes, although they both come from the same worldview

The obvious explanation is that the nursing home scandal was being brought up by Republicans for months in advance and also tarnishes several other (mostly Democratic) governors that were held up as models for other states to follow, whereas the sexual harassment accusations are fresh and only tarnish Cuomo himself. If you only look at the latter then elected Democrats can pretend to somehow be more principled than Republicans in punishing their own. Case in point

I prefer that Governor Cuomo be impeached and convicted instead of being made to resign for this one reason -to show Republicans that Democrats have more integrity than they do.  We have the courage to punish our own leaders when Republicans (except for the brave few) failed twice to join them even when they privately agreed that the evidence for impeaching and convicting President Trump both times was overwhelming.  

Right, Democrats have so much integrity that they'll probably punish their own, as long as those punished are politically weak and easily replaced by other Democrats. Otherwise they'll just stop talking about it, as was the case with Virginia's Gov. Blackface Klansman and his partner in crime, Lt. Gov Serial Rapist.

Who do you think this is fooling?

The bar is set low, for sure, and yet my point still stands.  When is the last time the Republican Party impeached one of their own? And I don't just mean a few senators or congressmen, but the bulk of their elected representatives banding together to oust a President or governor belonging to the same party.   And President Andrew Johnson doesn't count.  
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 08:18:28 PM »

It looks like Governor Cuomo is safe, for now:

Siena poll: Just 35 percent of New York voters want Cuomo to resign

Most New York voters are satisfied with Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s explanation of the sexual harassment allegations made against him and barely a third want him to resign, a Siena College Research Institute poll released Monday morning found.

The governor’s overall popularity has taken a hit over the past month, however. Only 43 percent of New Yorkers now view him favorably, while 45 percent view him unfavorably.

“Voters appear to be able to compartmentalize how they feel about Cuomo,” Siena spokesperson Steve Greenberg said in a statement. “While their views on him generally — favorability, job performance, re-elect — took a significant hit this month, voters’ views on Cuomo’s handling of the pandemic remain largely positive, except for his handling of nursing home death data.”

Cuomo’s numbers had already been gradually declining from the stratospheric highs they hit last spring. He’s now back around where he was before the pandemic; he polled at 44-50 favorable in a Siena poll in February 2020.

But as the governor fights back rapidly-spreading calls for him to leave office, it’s safe to assume that the numbers which will resonate the most are those finding that most voters aren’t ready for him to go.

A total of 57 percent of respondents say they’re “satisfied with the way Cuomo has addressed the allegations,” while 32 percent say they are “not satisfied.”
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 10:21:14 PM »

Zeldin is either an idiot and prefers losing his future seniority for a doomed run, or knows that he will be gerrymandered out of existence anyway.

Por que no los dos?

'Why not both?' 
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2021, 05:24:37 PM »

Lee Zeldin randomly goes full voter suppressionist, demands mandatory Voter ID.

Calling mandatory voter ID "full supprecionist" when 90% of Americans support it and almost every democracy in Europe mandates it is an absurd statement.

I have a question -does any Republican-controlled state that has mandatory voter ID requirements have provisions enabling citizens (especially those who are racial/ethnic minorities) to get the required voter ID for free?  If not, then it is tantamount to a poll tax. 
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2021, 02:44:06 PM »

59% want Cuomo to step down:

That’s exactly the opening that legislators in Albany are looking for as they consider whether or not to impeach Governor Cuomo.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2021, 05:05:04 PM »
« Edited: August 11, 2021, 05:17:10 PM by Frodo »

Among prominent New York Democrats, Senator Kirsten Gillibrand is no longer alone in having once been a Blue Dog:

Kathy Hochul's past conservative positions raise eyebrows: report

If New York Democrats are well aware of her past, and still vote to give her the gubernatorial nomination in the 2022 primary, what will this say about the New York Democratic Party? 
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2021, 04:46:12 PM »
« Edited: December 09, 2021, 04:51:33 PM by Frodo »

James OUT

A wise decision.  I prefer her running for another term as state Attorney General.  

Fantastic news!

I never really understood why James jumped in instead of running for reelection to a safe position and in which she has actually done good work. I wish her winning a second term as attorney general now.

Now let's go on to victory, Queen Kathy! Purple heart

Yes, I wondered about that.  I think she momentarily let her ambitions for higher office get the better of her.  She needs to see those investigations through before she can run for governor or another statewide office. 
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2021, 11:07:56 PM »

For what it's worth (which is nothing, but anyway...) I am officially endorsing acting-Governor Kathy Huchul in the Democratic gubernatorial primary and (of course) in the general election.  I support everything she has done so far, though I am not thrilled about the statewide indoor mask mandate (but I understand why she's doing it).  And considering her opposition, she really is the best that can be asked for.  
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies