NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:06:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates  (Read 110784 times)
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« on: October 12, 2020, 09:23:22 AM »

Doubtful Cuomo becomes AG or even wants it. He wants to serve longer than his dad, and running 4 prez in 2024 if Biden doesn't would be better as sitting gov. He would have to resign as AG by early 2023 to focus on a WH run that likely won't go anywhere. Harris will be the nominee after Biden, be it 2024 or 2028.

But if he goes to DC, I think Hochul would win a primary. Dems may be excited about a woman gov (I think there was never one in NY). DeBlasio isn't winning a NY primary and AOC probably has no interest. I could see her running against Schumer if he isn't progressive enough as Majority Leader. Or she waits for him to retire.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 10:50:42 AM »

Is there a chance Cuomo faces legal scrutiny over this nursing home incident? If so, Dems could force him out not to run again or even his resignation.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 10:17:42 AM »

Somebody high-up needs to sit Cuomo down (a-la Goldwater & Nixon) & tell him it's over: Idk if we're necessarily at "resign or you'll be impeached & convicted/removed" levels yet, but at the very least, he needs to be informed that he won't have the party's support in seeking a 4th term next year. If he chooses to step aside for the good of the party like David Paterson did for him once upon a time, then Kathy Hochul can be to him what he was to Paterson. If not, then Jumaane Williams or maybe even Tish James (if she thinks she can pull it off) needs to launch a primary challenge yesterday.

I wish Joe Biden and Chuck Schumer would take this role. Their word matters as Biden is prez and de facto leader of the party, and Schumer is the most powerful Dem in NYS. And neither of them were previously known as Cuomo critics. If they abandon Cuomo, he's in trouble. Unfortunately, Mr. Cuomo's ego won't allow him to admit is failures and resign.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 10:44:05 AM »

Somebody high-up needs to sit Cuomo down (a-la Goldwater & Nixon) & tell him it's over: Idk if we're necessarily at "resign or you'll be impeached & convicted/removed" levels yet, but at the very least, he needs to be informed that he won't have the party's support in seeking a 4th term next year. If he chooses to step aside for the good of the party like David Paterson did for him once upon a time, then Kathy Hochul can be to him what he was to Paterson. If not, then Jumaane Williams or maybe even Tish James (if she thinks she can pull it off) needs to launch a primary challenge yesterday.

I wish Joe Biden and Chuck Schumer would take this role. Their word matters as Biden is prez and de facto leader of the party, and Schumer is the most powerful Dem in NYS. And neither of them were previously known as Cuomo critics. If they abandon Cuomo, he's in trouble. Unfortunately, Mr. Cuomo's ego won't allow him to admit is failures and resign.

Biden doing so would be yet another parallel to the Paterson situation, as it was Obama who was the Goldwater to Paterson's Nixon in terms of making it clear to him that the party was gonna be supporting Cuomo over him in 2010.

The only major difference is that Paterson was just unpopular for some reason and didn't have a scandal of this magnitude. Even Spitzer's scandal was kind of a joke compared to Cuomo.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 09:50:51 AM »

I'm afraid Cuomo is just sitting this out and get renominated and reelected next year with token opposition. Worst aspect of this whole story is not that mistakes were made, which is already bad of this magnitude, it's that the dude shows zero self-awareness. He's so arrogant, it almost reaches Trump levels.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 10:17:04 AM »

Somewhat of an effort post coming:

Alexandria Ocasio Cortez should run for Governor of New York

She already meets the constitutional requirements since she’s over 30 and has lived in the state long enough.

She clearly has ambitions for higher office and potentially the presidency. What offices are there that are higher than US Representative and position one for their next step to be the presidency? Senate and Governor. Kirsten Gillibramd is one of the two senators, and she’s young and doesn’t seem to be going anywhere anytime soon. The other senator, Chuck Schumer, is the Majority Leader and also not going anywhere anytime soon. Cuomo, however, is as weak as he’s ever been and far more vulnerable to a primary challenge. The primary ads for a young woman running against a man accused of sexual assault write themselves.

Unlike any other potential primary challengers, Ocasio is already well known statewide and could probably get any other progressive challengers to Cuomo to drop out and endorse her the moment she announces her candidacy. Her platform could be the standard progressive agenda, plus transparency and ethics reform in Albany.

She’s also got a big enough following that any silencing tactics from Cuomo would be less likely to work and more likely to backfire. The other candidates thinking of running look like people Cuomo can just ignore. He can’t ignore Ocasio or he will lose.

Going from US representative to governor is not an unprecedented move, either. Mike Pence did it, and so did others.

Last point: What would be a better platform for Ocasio to run for President than implementing progressive policies in one of the most populated states in the country? She could also still run for the Senate later of one of the seats opens up.

She should not run.....she would lose to Weik or Dean or Harry Wilson.....

She's not losing to a GOPer, lol. But I agree gov is not where she belongs at this moment. But Mr. Cuomo needs to go as soon as possible. The dude is horrible.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2021, 10:15:20 AM »

My take is Cuomo will at least stay on until the AG report is presented, which I expect to be devastating. Cuomo's opponents shouldn't hope on the nursing home investigation, I don't expect that one to be finished any time soon. That said, if more women come forward, he's probably going down / pushed out before James has her report published.

I'm disappointed not more high-profile Dems speak out and publically demand his resignation.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2021, 10:14:29 AM »

Wouldn't impeachment at least require the investigations to be completed to make a clear case and win enough support? If so, Cuomo could indeed drag this on for many months or even beyond the September '22 primaries. Having the legislative leadership of his own party turn on him may hinder his legislative agenda, but I'd be surprised the dude actually cared about that. All he cares about is preserving his power and status.

To me it seems Dem political leadership just has enough of his missmanagement and arrogant leadership style and now sees the golden opportunity to get rid of him. Cuomo is aware of that, I think, and just says "impeach if you want me out", knowing it would take time and the scandals may fade away, at least for a period of time. I just hope Dem leadership in NYS including Schumer and Gillibrand as well as the WH aren't playing his game and finally force the worst Dem gov in the nation to resign. The dude is a disgrace.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2021, 10:43:01 AM »

Nadler the biggest name from congress so far?

Really hope Cuomo isn't able to drag and sit this out. He can't effectively govern anymore, or actually can't at all. But his ego is too big to get out of the way because he desperately wants to outdo his father by serving 4 terms.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2021, 10:53:46 AM »

For sure things can change, but as we speak, I think Cuomo resigning or being successfully impeached is somewhat less likely than Cuomo still being gov in January 2023. Needless to say how embarrassing that is. Believe me, I really want to wrong here.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2021, 10:21:04 AM »

Well, if both get nominated, we have a contest of 2 harassers (or worse). If NY nominates them, they deserve it. Sorry.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2021, 10:42:52 AM »

A (maybe not so) crazy thought: If Cuomo doesn't resign and get impeached, could there be an opening for HRC to primary the corrupt dude out? I know she said to be done with running 4 office, but she's actually someone who could beat Cuomo in a primary. Would also give her the chance for a political rehabilitation and actually enacting her policies into law. That may even be "easier" than POTUS since there wouldn't be hostile legislative branch under GOP control.

There seems to be a decent chance Cuomo is sitting the scandals out and running anyway. Tbh, I don't want to put the fate of taking him down on Bill DeBlasio or Jumaane Williams. These are too weak to take Mr. Cuomo down. Not even DiNapoli, James or Hochul, assuming they publically break with him. HRC has 100% name rec, a strong network of supporters and donors. She would win a primary against Cuomo.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2021, 11:08:14 AM »

Hillary would be a good governor, but the RGA would spend millions in NY

Malliotakis or Lazio or someone would run against her

But if a retread like Rick Lazio reemerges, it would lead to a Zeldin or a Palumbo or some other rightwinger to run....

Then the RGA might as well light their money on fire, because there is no way Clinton would lose. Plus Cinton already beat Lazio in 2000, when NY was much less blue.

bronz is stuck in the 1990s and early 2000s because every time NY politics are discussed, he brings up a GOPer as having some sort of chance in statewide races.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2021, 09:16:38 AM »

Dude is without a chance, lol. Safe D, no matter who's the nominee.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2021, 09:30:54 AM »

Do we have any timeline on 2 upcoming AG reports on Cuomo (sexual harrassment and nusing home deaths)? Is there even time left for impeachment? If the reports aren't published a year from now, the time window closes, unless NY Dems are stupid enough the nominate him again. The corrupt dude is definitely running if he's still in office in summer next year.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2021, 11:16:58 AM »

Safe D, even with Cuomo. Without him, Titanium D.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2021, 08:34:35 AM »

The NY GOP choking away winnable races like usual.

I don't think this is winnable, even against Cuomo. If Cuomo isn't the Dem candidate, it's Titanium D anyways.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2021, 09:45:45 AM »
« Edited: June 02, 2021, 09:54:47 AM by Sir Mohamed »

Lol, Blue Trump ain't going anywhere:

Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2021, 09:01:14 AM »

I'm surprised no halfway credible challenger to Blue Trump has declared a candidacy as of yet? Perhaps it's too early or they're just waiting out whether he'll still get forced out through impeachment or pressure not to run again?

That said, I still think Cuomo will be in office beyond Dec. 31, 2022, unless the investigations conclude with bombshells before the primary election is being held (yup, this will be the election, no GOPer has a chance). It's sad the dude may get away with everything, let alone we Dems not living up to our own standards.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2021, 10:06:46 AM »

If Cuomo resigned and still runs, it would be hilarious. Tbh, I wouldn't be completely surprised then.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2021, 08:30:44 AM »
« Edited: August 06, 2021, 08:49:03 AM by Sir Mohamed »

I raised the idea of a HRC candidacy some months ago in a separate thread. But it's not happening. It's either going to be Hochul succeeding to office upon Mr. Cuomo's removal or last minute resignation and likely winning a full term; or if Mr. Cuomo somehow survives into next year, he'll get successfully primaried by James. Hochul or James then go on beating Zeldin anywhere between 15 and 20 pts.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2021, 09:21:05 AM »

Hasn't been posted yet:

At least in public opinion, Blue Trump is done.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2021, 01:34:42 AM »

Thankfully Mr. Cuomo is on his way out, although he theoretically could run regardless. It saves us from an embarrassing race with a scandal plagued incumbent who would have won a GE, but dragged down downballot candidates.

As for how this goes, the GE is Safe D regardless of the nominee. If she decides to run, which I expect she will, Hochul is the favorite. The real test for her will the primary; we need to see whether someone runs against her and if so, who. As of now, James is possibly the biggest "threat" for her, but less likely to run than a progressive. We have to see how she governs in the coming months. Not having been close to Cuomo is for sure an advantage now.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2021, 09:04:49 AM »

Literally no one should be surprised:

Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2021, 09:59:19 AM »

Actually doubt Williams is chosen for lt. gov. One of the black lawmakers from NYC are more likely in my opinion.

I wonder whether there's actually going to be a real primary challenge for Hochul? If she maneuvers the state safely through the coming months, why would Dems replace the 1st female gov? Same actually happened with Gilibrand, who was expected to be challenged in 2010 but never actually was. Like Hochul, she was a rep from a conservative district and suddenly elevated to a position of power. The parallels are striking.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies