NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:01:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 ... 80
Author Topic: NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates  (Read 112321 times)
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1600 on: October 19, 2022, 02:10:55 PM »

Yeah Hochul really doesn’t have any brand, most just see her as “generic white lady”. Cuomo was well known, and had a particular accent and style of speech that felt in touch.

Also ngl the state assembly and senate in NY feel like a bit of a locked box
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #1601 on: October 19, 2022, 03:04:56 PM »

It’s not a real possibility. Hochul will win easily but, at least in my circles (NYC liberals mostly) there is no enthusiasm for her and people generally don’t think highly of her. I imagine almost all will still vote for her though.
Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. I'm not enthusiastic about Hochul but I'm still voting for her (and Democrats straight down the ballot).

May I ask what's your explanation why some apparently not that thrilled about Hochul?

To me it seems that she has done a good job including a few legislative wins during her short period of time in the driver's seat. She's also the first woman as governor and ideologically pretty much in the mainstream of the party, neither a DINO nor far-left. Hochul generally strikes me as a likeable personal capable of connecting with average people. In my opinion, she deserves a strong mandate.
Not too many people care that she's a woman. She's very generic, and is associated in the minds of many with repressive covid restrictions.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1602 on: October 19, 2022, 03:06:06 PM »

It’s not a real possibility. Hochul will win easily but, at least in my circles (NYC liberals mostly) there is no enthusiasm for her and people generally don’t think highly of her. I imagine almost all will still vote for her though.
Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. I'm not enthusiastic about Hochul but I'm still voting for her (and Democrats straight down the ballot).

May I ask what's your explanation why some apparently not that thrilled about Hochul?

To me it seems that she has done a good job including a few legislative wins during her short period of time in the driver's seat. She's also the first woman as governor and ideologically pretty much in the mainstream of the party, neither a DINO nor far-left. Hochul generally strikes me as a likeable personal capable of connecting with average people. In my opinion, she deserves a strong mandate.
Not too many people care that she's a woman. She's very generic, and is associated in the minds of many with repressive covid restrictions.

How so? She really had nothing to do with them?
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #1603 on: October 19, 2022, 03:06:34 PM »

She is not.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1604 on: October 19, 2022, 03:48:55 PM »

How so? She really had nothing to do with them?

It might not be a rational association, but she was Cuomo's Lt. Governor, and he was the face of the Democratic response to covid. That said, I don't think covid restrictions are on anyone's mind this November unless you were already voting for Zeldin.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1605 on: October 22, 2022, 09:12:50 PM »

The Times Endorses Kathy Hochul for Governor of New York

New York has a long, proud tradition of moderate, thoughtful Republicans, from George Pataki to Nelson Rockefeller. Mr. Zeldin is not part of this tradition.

Over and over again, he has demonstrated a loyalty to Trumpism over his oath to defend American democracy and the Constitution. In his campaign for governor, he makes spurious arguments about crime, and his public safety plan appears to be little more than returning to the zero-tolerance policies that have no clear connection to improving safety. Ads from Mr. Zeldin’s campaign use threatening images of Black men to stoke panic, and one features a crime that took place in California. And the plans Mr. Zeldin has laid out during this campaign lack a serious interest in the work of governing, at a time when the state needs strong, energetic leadership.

Compare that with the record of Kathy Hochul, who has used her first year in office as governor to show that she can get things done to improve the lives of New Yorkers. Ms. Hochul has set aside political drama to make progress on the things that matter most to New Yorkers — health, safety and access to good jobs and housing. For that work, she has our endorsement for a full term.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1606 on: October 22, 2022, 09:15:52 PM »

New York has a long, proud tradition of moderate, thoughtful Republicans, from George Pataki to Nelson Rockefeller. Mr. Zeldin is not part of this tradition.

Over and over again, he has demonstrated a loyalty to Trumpism over his oath to defend American democracy and the Constitution. In his campaign for governor, he makes spurious arguments about crime, and his public safety plan appears to be little more than returning to the zero-tolerance policies that have no clear connection to improving safety. Ads from Mr. Zeldin’s campaign use threatening images of Black men to stoke panic, and one features a crime that took place in California. And the plans Mr. Zeldin has laid out during this campaign lack a serious interest in the work of governing, at a time when the state needs strong, energetic leadership.

Compare that with the record of Kathy Hochul, who has used her first year in office as governor to show that she can get things done to improve the lives of New Yorkers. Ms. Hochul has set aside political drama to make progress on the things that matter most to New Yorkers — health, safety and access to good jobs and housing. For that work, she has our endorsement for a full term.

This isn't particularly surprising. Interestingly enough, The Times did support Pataki, at least for his reelections in 1998 and 2002. And before that, they obviously supported Rockenfeller. But otherwise, the newspaper has been very strongly supportive of Democratic candidates, both nationally and locally, for decades now. Most newspaper endorsements across the country this year are going to Democratic candidates. For example, in Colorado, The Denver Post has endorsed almost all of the Democrats running for statewide office. This isn't surprising, given the Republican hostility to the media.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1607 on: October 22, 2022, 09:19:02 PM »

This isn't particularly surprising. Interestingly enough, The Times did support Pataki, at least for his reelections in 1998 and 2002. And before that, they obviously supported Rockenfeller. But otherwise, the newspaper has been very strongly supportive of Democratic candidates, both nationally and locally, for decades now. Most newspaper endorsements across the country this year are going to Democratic candidates. For example, in Colorado, The Denver Post has endorsed almost all of the Democrats running for statewide office. This isn't surprising, given the Republican hostility to the media.

I didn't think it was surprising, but still thought it worth posting.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1608 on: October 22, 2022, 09:20:35 PM »

Understandable. At the presidential level, the last Republican presidential nominee that The Times endorsed was Eisenhower in 1956. I don't think you'll ever see them endorse one again. At any rate, I still expect Hochul to win, although she's going to significantly underperform Biden.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #1609 on: October 23, 2022, 05:45:24 AM »

It’s criminal bronz can’t offer his insights on this election.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1610 on: October 23, 2022, 07:09:43 AM »

The NYT is gaslighting New Yorkers, labeling them as racist for their fear of violent crime which (A) is truly going up and (B) truly affects them.

VIOLENT crime IS going up in NY and it isn't just a stat or just confined to "high crime areas".  It's made utilizing public transportation significantly more dangerous, as evidenced by increased incidents in NYC's subways.  This is relevant to suburbanites because of the high percentage of suburbanites that commute to NYC to work, taking a Railroad or public bus line (some commute as far away as Eastern Pennsylvania), and then switching to the subway to get the to their office.  It IS more dangerous in these facilities.  And it's a no-brainer as to why it's more dangerous; it's the one-two gut punch to law-abiding citizens of (A) ending cash bail and (B) reducing the funding for police while imposing all sorts of measures (e. g. ending qualified immunity) that impact their ability to maintain public safety.

The condition on the ground in NY is that (A) there are far more criminals roaming free while awaiting trial on new violent charges and (B) those criminals who are at large, pending charges or not, have no fear of enduring pretrial incarceration should they rob, beat, or even kill again.  Pretrial incarceration and significant bail are means to incapacitate criminals to keep them from committing more crimes while awaiting resolution of their charges, but New York's criminals are not incapacitated at all during their pretrial period.  They are not only free to commit new crimes, they are free to intimidate witnesses in ways that will enable them to escape a just finding of guilt at trial.  There is no protection for the average citizen, and there is even less protection for the victim of a crime from their perpetrator during the pretrial period.

Kathy Hochul did not cause this disaster, but she refuses to do anything about it.  The solution to reducing crime in NY is to reinstate cash bail and undo the foolish reforms that have handicapped police in maintaining public safety and dissuaded people from becoming police.  And it means rejecting the justifications for the arguments that brought these ill-advised policies about.  If cash bail has a "disproportionate impact" on some demographics than others, politicians ought to be honest about the fact that some demographics commit crimes, and commit VIOLENT crimes in disproportionate numbers.  Whatever "justice" is, it is not a system that increases the probability that a truly guilty person will not be punished in the name of some sort of "Equity".  And one can recognize inequities in the system (e. g. the quality of legal representation for indigent defendants, inequities in sentencing) without stripping society of its ability to Constitutionally enforce laws governing public safety.

Kathy Hochul did not cause these problems, but she refuses to undo the measures that exacerbates them.  Lee Zeldin promises to do something about this.  Ordinary New Yorkers, many of whom commute to NYC to work, and many of whom have endured crime in their suburban locales that was not present years ago (e. g. MS-13 in Brentwood, NY).  If he wins, this will be why, and it will be a just verdict on a political establishment that is unwilling to protect the entirety of its citizenry due to the Identity Politics of the day which holds it captive.  There is a price when we deal with citizens as members of Identity Groups and fail to deal with members of Identity Groups as citizens.  NY is paying that price now.  Lee Zeldin, a most imperfect man, represents a solution to that.  He's not Jacob Javits and he's not even Irving Ives, but he's not Al D'Amato and he's certainly not Kathy Hochul.  And Kathy Hochul, at this point in time, IS the problem; she has become so by choice.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #1611 on: October 23, 2022, 08:59:29 AM »

Or propose New York athletes who might've made good candidates!
warandwar
United States

« Reply #1612 on: October 23, 2022, 01:13:57 PM »
« Edited: October 23, 2022, 01:24:26 PM by warandwar »

(A) ending cash bail and (B) reducing the funding for police while imposing all sorts of measures (e. g. ending qualified immunity) that impact their ability to maintain public safety.

The condition on the ground in NY is that (A) there are far more criminals roaming free while awaiting trial on new violent charges and (B) those criminals who are at large, pending charges or not, have no fear of enduring pretrial incarceration should they rob, beat, or even kill again.  Pretrial incarceration and significant bail are means to incapacitate criminals to keep them from committing more crimes while awaiting resolution of their charges, but New York's criminals are not incapacitated at all during their pretrial period.  They are not only free to commit new crimes, they are free to intimidate witnesses in ways that will enable them to escape a just finding of guilt at trial.  There is no protection for the average citizen, and there is even less protection for the victim of a crime from their perpetrator during the pretrial period.

You have no clue what you are talking about. "Cash bail" wasn't ended in New York - the charges which are bail eligible were changed. All "violent" charges that you mention here - witness tampering and violent felonies are bail/pretrial detention eligible. Judges can still use (it should be said, fairly arbitrary) measures to set bail in other cases. Not to mention, are free to set bail on property, set travel restrictions, so on and so on. The stories you mention (being free to "kill again") are quite literally impossible under ny state law, so i am not sure what evidence you are citing here. If you are talking about violence, it might be appropriate to mention the death toll in Rikers has already exceeded that of last year - despite the multiple federal decrees finding that the jail systematically violates people's constitutional rights it remains open and a hellhole to this day. There were roughly 80000 people who would have gone to a jail like Rikers had it not been for bail reform, but because of bail reform spent their pretrial period outside, with 0 documented threat to public safety. Meanwhile the rate of those who committed a violent crime during their pretrial period was essentially unchanged pre and post bail reform. Saving 80,000 people from places like Rikers is making our communities safer, period.

Read the Brennan Center's report (far from raging leftists): https://www.brennancenter.org/our-work/research-reports/facts-bail-reform-and-crime-rates-new-york-state
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1613 on: October 23, 2022, 01:24:19 PM »

Interestingly, I have been to Bainbridge NY where Ives was born and is buried and my father was for a while in the same hospital Ives died in (38 years later though), in Norwich. NY.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1614 on: October 23, 2022, 03:03:06 PM »

I wonder what his predictions for State Island, Nassau and Suffolk Counties are. And how the police vote is going to break down.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1615 on: October 25, 2022, 06:34:44 PM »

WHAT
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1616 on: October 25, 2022, 06:39:06 PM »

WHAT

It's definitely easy to see, from her performance in this debate, why Hochul could very well be upset by Zeldin.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1617 on: October 25, 2022, 06:51:56 PM »

WHAT

It's definitely easy to see, from her performance in this debate, why Hochul could very well be upset by Zeldin.

Did you actually watch it, or are you going off of one tweet that was likely very selectively taken out of context?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1618 on: October 25, 2022, 06:54:52 PM »

WHAT

Did you actually watch it, or are you going off of one tweet that was likely very selectively taken out of context?

I'm not watching the entire debate. I'm following it on Twitter, and the consensus seems to be that Zeldin is doing well. Mind you, this includes some "#Election Twitter" people who are staunch Democrats.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1619 on: October 25, 2022, 06:56:30 PM »

WHAT

I'm not watching the entire debate. I'm following it on Twitter, and the consensus seems to be that Zeldin is doing well. Mind you, this includes some "#Election Twitter" people who are staunch Democrats.

Hm, because I'm seeing the opposite. Only on Atlas does election denying in a blue state = good debate.

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1620 on: October 25, 2022, 06:57:59 PM »

Huh, if you actually listen to the real quote, Hochul is talking about bail and is heard saying "I don't know why that's so important to you."

Maybe you should wait for the actual video instead of listening to hack Twitter accounts.

Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1621 on: October 25, 2022, 06:58:16 PM »

WHAT

Hm, because I'm seeing the opposite. Only on Atlas does election denying in a blue state = good debate.

January 6th is not the only issue under consideration next month. I'm sorry, but it is not. If Democrats were running their campaigns solely on that issue, and that issue alone, they would be in a worse position now than they currently are. What do you think the voters in NYC are more concerned about? Issues directly impacting them? Or January 6th?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1622 on: October 25, 2022, 06:58:51 PM »

Huh, if you actually listen to the real quote, Hochul is talking about bail and is heard saying "I don't know why that's so important to you."

Maybe you should wait for the actual video instead of listening to hack Twitter accounts.

Of course, you come into here and defend Hochul. As I said before, you think every Republican candidate is terrible and every Democratic candidate is excellent.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1623 on: October 25, 2022, 06:59:33 PM »

WHAT

This is not going well for Mrs Hochul I can tell you that. Zeldin has had a similar good Debate Performance thus far like Tudor Dixon had a couple of weeks ago in Michigan. I find Zeldin & Dixon very good Debaters & Orators. They have some skills.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #1624 on: October 25, 2022, 07:03:16 PM »

Now that I've seen a tweet from Nick Gourevitch in an Atlas thread I know I've seen everything.

(Not a comment on the debate that I didn't watch or either candidate's performance)
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies