NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:51:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 80
Author Topic: NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates  (Read 112833 times)
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1150 on: December 09, 2021, 01:26:51 PM »

I still don't understand why James ran in the first place. With her dropping out, that helps Hochul.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1151 on: December 09, 2021, 01:51:23 PM »

This state Leans Hochul this is the same state that elected Hillary Clinton
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1152 on: December 09, 2021, 02:03:30 PM »

Wow, that’s shocking. This race was always going to be safe Hochul but I really liked Tish. I guess I’m on board with Jumaane now!
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1153 on: December 09, 2021, 02:58:14 PM »

Wow, that’s shocking. This race was always going to be safe Hochul but I really liked Tish. I guess I’m on board with Jumaane now!

Why not Hochul?
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1154 on: December 09, 2021, 02:59:56 PM »

Will definitely go down as an awkward footnote in history.

I also wonder if this has to do with a major development coming in the Cuomo, Cuomon admin, or Trump investigations?
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1155 on: December 09, 2021, 03:06:23 PM »

Hochul endorses AG James

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1156 on: December 09, 2021, 03:11:01 PM »

Fantastic news!

I never really understood why James jumped in instead of running for reelection to a safe position and in which she has actually done good work. I wish her winning a second term as attorney general now.

Now let's go on to victory, Queen Kathy! Purple heart
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #1157 on: December 09, 2021, 03:11:48 PM »

There has to have been some sort of backroom deal here. James' campaign is just as hopeless now as it was when she announced, there was no reason for her to back out unless she had some sort of epiphany about her chances, which I seriously doubt. Maybe Hochul agreed not to run in 2026?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #1158 on: December 09, 2021, 03:19:01 PM »

There has to have been some sort of backroom deal here. James' campaign is just as hopeless now as it was when she announced, there was no reason for her to back out unless she had some sort of epiphany about her chances, which I seriously doubt. Maybe Hochul agreed not to run in 2026?

More likely her internals showed poor numbers as well, just as the public polls. Why take the risk and be completely out of business? Instead, she can now continue as attorney general. I'm sure the other candidates will drop out soon, or James wins anyway with backing for the Democratic establishment. Would actually be hilarious if Cuomo actually challenges James for attorney general since his name was mentioned for the job.

Also possible some donors convinced James to switch back to the attorney general's race after Hochul had strong fundraising numbers recently and racked up endorsements from several local officials and in the legislature.

Curios whether Suozzi will hang around till June. Hopefully not.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1159 on: December 09, 2021, 04:15:23 PM »

I assume this puts to rest any attempt by Cuomo to get his old job back?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1160 on: December 09, 2021, 04:29:37 PM »

Did anyone aside from a handful of Boomer dipsh!ts on Twitter ever think that was even a remote possibility?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1161 on: December 09, 2021, 04:30:10 PM »

I sure made a good call when I bought Hochul shares for 20 cents on PredictIt!
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1162 on: December 09, 2021, 04:36:25 PM »

According to Politico, James just wasn't engaged by the gubernatorial campaign in the same way that she's been engaged by all of her previous campaigns, was & remains focused on doing Trump stuff as A.G., & thus concluded that it never really made much sense to try & switch jobs in the first place. Honestly, it just sounds like she ran for Governor because it's what was near-universally expected of her - after all, not only "Almost Governor," but she literally brought Cuomo down - even though it may not have been what she really wanted to do. Which, y'know: good for her, unironically. To paraphrase Endgame (sorry, I'm on a bit of a Marvel kick right now in preparation for No Way Home), "everyone fails at who they're supposed to be, but the measure of a person, of a [public servant], is how well they succeed at being who they are."
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1163 on: December 09, 2021, 04:41:34 PM »

According to Politico, James just wasn't engaged by the gubernatorial campaign in the same way that she's been engaged by all of her previous campaigns, was & remains focused on doing Trump stuff as A.G., & thus concluded that it never really made much sense to try & switch jobs in the first place. Honestly, it just sounds like she ran for Governor because it's what was near-universally expected of her - after all, not only "Almost Governor," but she literally brought Cuomo down - even though it may not have been what she really wanted to do. Which, y'know: good for her, unironically. To paraphrase Endgame (sorry, I'm on a bit of a Marvel kick right now in preparation for No Way Home), "everyone fails at who they're supposed to be, but the measure of a person, of a [public servant], is how well they succeed at being who they are."

She possesses an ability to reflect and to learn from her mistakes, an ability which many politicians on both sides of the aisle lack. That was especially true of Andrew Cuomo, and of course, it's true of Trump also. I still do entertain hopes that James will be able to nail Trump on something.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1164 on: December 09, 2021, 04:46:12 PM »
« Edited: December 09, 2021, 04:51:33 PM by Frodo »

James OUT

A wise decision.  I prefer her running for another term as state Attorney General.  

Fantastic news!

I never really understood why James jumped in instead of running for reelection to a safe position and in which she has actually done good work. I wish her winning a second term as attorney general now.

Now let's go on to victory, Queen Kathy! Purple heart

Yes, I wondered about that.  I think she momentarily let her ambitions for higher office get the better of her.  She needs to see those investigations through before she can run for governor or another statewide office. 
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1165 on: December 09, 2021, 04:46:32 PM »

Did anyone aside from a handful of Boomer dipsh!ts on Twitter ever think that was even a remote possibility?

tbh I was kind of worried that he could win with like 25-30% of the vote in a divided primary. There is a significant share of the Democratic base that still likes him even now, though it's obviously not a majority, and he still appears to have some friends in the NY Democratic Party.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #1166 on: December 09, 2021, 05:03:45 PM »

tbh I was kind of worried that he could win with like 25-30% of the vote in a divided primary. There is a significant share of the Democratic base that still likes him even now, though it's obviously not a majority, and he still appears to have some friends in the NY Democratic Party.

Plus he has 18 million in campaign contributions on the bank.

I just hope the creep goes away.
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #1167 on: December 09, 2021, 07:19:36 PM »

I’m very surprised James suddenly dropped out. I thought she’d try and hope for a decent poll, but nope. But, on to victory Hochul!
Duke of York

« Reply #1168 on: December 09, 2021, 08:14:46 PM »

I’m very surprised James suddenly dropped out. I thought she’d try and hope for a decent poll, but nope. But, on to victory Hochul!
as am I. Hochul is the heavy favorite now. I have a feeling her and James made a deal.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1169 on: December 10, 2021, 09:54:22 AM »

Wow, shocking development.

I actually expected at least one dropout before the primary, but not from James who at least seemed in a good runner-up position. She most likely realized this bid was too much of a longshot and decided to go back to the relative safe AG job. Or she actually prepared a gubernatorial campaign before Cuomo finally resigned and assumed he'd either just serve out his term or Hochul would be a placeholder not even running for gov.

That said, I don't think there was any "backroom deal". Having a solid lead, there was no incentive for Hochul to make such a deal.

Hochul and James are the clear favorites for retaining their current positions as we speak. If I were in NY, I'd most likely vote for both now.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #1170 on: December 10, 2021, 11:06:53 PM »

This is my prediction for the county map if the race ends up being Hochul vs. Zeldin

https://www.yapms.com/app/?m=dfas
kwabbit

« Reply #1171 on: December 11, 2021, 12:02:11 AM »

This is my prediction for the county map if the race ends up being Hochul vs. Zeldin

https://www.yapms.com/app/?m=dfas

Dutchess may vote GOP but I agree with everything else on this map. We'll see if we get some geographical polarization that's the reverse of 2018. Molinaro won every Hudson county except Albany and Ulster, even winning Columbia, while Cuomo won Staten Island both LI counties.

If it goes the other way, Hochul probably keeps all of the Biden Hudson counties.
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #1172 on: December 11, 2021, 09:44:27 PM »

Why is Suozzi even running? I don’t see much point to his campaign. Does anyone who isn’t a Republican think Hochul is too left?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1173 on: December 12, 2021, 10:03:14 AM »
« Edited: December 12, 2021, 10:09:44 AM by The Democratic Party Left Me »

Why is Suozzi even running? I don’t see much point to his campaign. Does anyone who isn’t a Republican think Hochul is too left?

Yeah, Souzzi would’ve been much better off running for re-election.  He’s “only” 59 and has a seat on Ways and Means.  He could easily have ended up chairing a Ways and Means subcommittee during the next Democratic House majority and probably wouldn’t lose in 2022 as long as he’s not asleep at the wheel.  I get that his dream job is clearly being Governor, but he’s never gonna win a statewide primary.  For better or worse, just isn’t in the cards and probably never was either. 

Being a Congressman is a better consolation prize than he had any right to expect, especially after he lost re-election as Nassau County Executive.  It was only dumb luck that his political career had a second wind and he’s throwing that away for a suicide run.  Even if Hochul somehow imploded, it still wouldn’t be him.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1174 on: December 12, 2021, 01:09:28 PM »

Masks for thee, not for me.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies